XFX ATI 5870 green pixel problem

napski

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Hey everyone!

I have a major problem with my XFX ATI 5870 card.

I get these flashing green pixels that flash at the same or different places on my screen (they can be seen best when I have my desktop just set to a plain black color). Sometimes they fade eventually, sometimes they don't.

Also, I sometimes get these multicolored horizontal lines that just appear at random places, especially when I am scrolling through a web page or playing a game.

I tried installing/uninstalling different drivers through XFX & ATI, but nothing.

I've been in contact with customer service (no phone number, just a message board) for over a month. They had me try different things like using this program called GPU-Z to help "break in" my card or changing memory settings, but the green pixels and horizontal would eventually still come back.

Now this is a new card in a newly built system! I bought the card from Newegg, but I couldn't return it because it went beyond the 30 day grace period (because of the problem Newegg had sending me a new EVGA motherboard...they kept sending me used open ones...will never use Newegg again).

So now I have to return it and I have to pay the shipping plus they told me that they will probably end up shipping me a used or refurbished one to have instead. Wonderful! So I ended up paying full price only to get a used or refurbished one in the end. Guess I should have stayed with Nvidia instead of ATI.

BTW, I hooked up my old Nvidia 8800 GTS card to my new system and bingo, it worked great.
I'll never buy from Newegg, XFX or ATI ever again.

Anyway, is there anything different I should try before sending this card back and loose more money in the process?

sideshowbob32

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
First off wow, second newegg is the best website in the world to me i think you just got a bad card why didn't you use your warranty and get a new card from XFX it should be under warranty and they should give you a new one no problem?

napski

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I am sending it back to XFX and it is under warranty, but their warranty says that I have to pay for the shipping and that any card sent in for warranty service means that you get a refurb card in return, not your original card. In other words, they don't fix your card. They SHOULD send a NEW replacement not a used refurb since the customer is paying for the cost of returning it. But that's the way it goes.

Also, Newegg has its ups and downs. Newegg is primarily the reason why I am in this mess. If Newegg had sent me a new board instead of used ones, then I would have found out about the card sooner and would have been able to return it to them. You see, Newegg sent me a used board 4 TIMES! It took over a month just to get a decent board and so many people ended up leaving so much negative feedback because of it that Newegg removed the item from their website! It was a EVGA x58 4 way classified.

I'm glad to hear that you had good experiences with them and I had a few as well, but this time I got double shafted, so they are officially off my list.

sideshowbob32

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
oh i feel your pain makes more sense now and from what i understand xfx has terrible customer service but there cards are pretty good most of the time. I always always go for gigabyte when I can for motherboards they always have a three to five year warranty on them. For warranty's they always pay for shipping, I have had to send a mother Bord once in for bad usb ports and bad ram slot it was a open box from newegg, and what they did for me was send a prepaid label for one day shipping I sent it out on Monday got it back Thursday it was great. As for getting a referb card they are most likely new If a Bord is bad on the card they don't replace a damaged chip or any thing on it they get a new it is to hard and tedious to solder on a chip and to labor intensive. What they most likely reuse is the heat sinks and stuff.

fifacup98

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I wish I've read this post before. I am in the exact same boat. I bought the XFX HD 5870 1GB from Newegg to replace my 8800 GTS 512MB. I installed it today with new ATI driver downloaded from their website, and green artifacts are everywhere on the screen. Now I have to RMA it which will cost extra for shipping.
I've put my old 8800 GTS back and everything is working fine. I play StarCraft II and the HD 5870 does not seem to have that much improvement for this game vs the 8800 GTS. The settings are set on Extreme with 1900x1200 resolution.