Gfx card and BIOS not working!

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • BIOS
  • Graphics Cards
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 23, 2012 6:20:48 AM

Gurus of Tom's Hardware, I come to you in a state of desperation. Also, forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

I moved the computer that I built from home to my dorm a little over a week ago, and I've been having problems ever since. When I boot up my computer, the screen is black for about twenty seconds, and then I am taken directly to the win7 logon screen, skipping the BIOS screen. It has also stopped using my graphics card, instead opting to use the CPU. The graphics card shows up under Display Adapters in the device manager, and the fans are running, but I cannot change the display adapter in the advanced display settings. On a side note, Everest reports "Unkown" for my motherboard.

I have tried reseating the graphics card as well as removing and replacing the BIOS battery, both to no avail.

So, in short, I cannot use my graphics card and I cannot access my BIOS. Can anyone offer any assistance? Specs below.

OS- Win7 Professional
Graphics card - MSI Twin Frozr III (2GB)
Motherboard - gagabyte ga-z68a-dh3-b3
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

More about : gfx card bios working

a b U Graphics card
a c 87 V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 8:58:54 AM

Have you tried putting it in the second PCIe Slot?
If it goes straight to the Windows Logon Screen and you can see it , I am correct in assuming that you're using the onboard display to see it?

If that is so, try to keep on clicking or hitting the Del key as soon as you start the rig.
You will get into the BIOS. Hopefully.
Change the setting to whatever way you want them to be.
Save and exit.
Shutdown the rig.
Insert the Card in the second slot.
Boot into the BIOS again, and set the Primary display adapter as the PCIe , save exit and shut down. Plug the monitor into the Card and then boot up.
Check and give a feedback here.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 9:15:18 AM

I had a problem like this a week ago. My monitor was showing analog signals (onboard) but not digital. (gfx card)
Also maybe take out the card all together and then set your bios...
I know that on my board the onboard is disabled when a card is in, unless its the primary video adapter in the BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2012 5:50:47 PM

Thank you both for the replies!

Alyoshka, I was using the onboard display to see it, yes. I tried pressing the BIOS keys to get into BIOS like you said, and I'm fairly sure that I did get there, because the screen stayed black and didn't take me to the logon screen. So I was at BIOS, but it just wasn't displaying.

Then I tried what Max1s recommended, and took out the card all together. That allowed me to get to BIOS and set it so that it always read from the PCI slot if there was an existing card in the slot. After that I rebooted and put the card in, and this caused it to stay black again. After about thirty seconds, I tried typing my password and pressing enter, and I heard the successful log in noise from Windows.

So I'm starting to think that my graphics card is just busted.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 6:12:56 PM

Test other cards in your system
Test your card in other systems
Test your monitor with other systems
Test your system with another monitor.

Viel spaß!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 87 V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 3:27:30 AM

^ I wish everybody had the luxury of "Other Systems"....
Did you try the card in the second PCIe Slot?
m
l
January 26, 2012 7:06:56 PM

Max1s said:
Test other cards in your system
Test your card in other systems
Test your monitor with other systems
Test your system with another monitor.

Viel spaß!

I've been working on acquiring a different graphics card/system/monitor, but I am unfortunately away from home (and consequently, away from any friends that know anything about computers).

alyoshka said:
^ I wish everybody had the luxury of "Other Systems"....
Did you try the card in the second PCIe Slot?

Would this work? My mobo has a single PCI slot, and then it has two other PCI slots used for dual gfx cards. I think I read somewhere that using one of the other slots wouldn't work unless you had two cards, but I will try it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 87 V Motherboard
January 27, 2012 3:09:56 AM

You can use the card in any slot you like or any slot that works fine and of course is compatible with the card. There is no condition like "To be used only when dual cards are used".... that condition does not exist.
m
l
!