Choosing a power supply.

MTopola

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Hi, i am looking to build my first custom pc and i need to know how to choose my power supply.
i am looking at a ASRock P67 PRO3 as my mo board and i am putting in a MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk GeForce GTX 560 Ti video card
i am looking to run a second vid card in SLI in the not to future so i want this supply to be ready for the future
thanks in advance

Noob needing help

Keep in mind a cheapo 750w psu is going to only really be 600w, some even worse than that, that's why Rolli59 said "quality".

Stick with Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, FSP, Silverstone, PC Power and Cooling, etc.

Make sure the unit you get is at least 80+ certified. PSU's that meet the 80+ certification are rated like this:
80+
8o+ bronze
80+ silver
80+ gold
and so on in that order ranked by efficiency under load.

A cheapo unit will not even have a 8o+ certification. Some will even say "up to 80%" to fool you but that is by no means an 80+ certification. If it's not at least 80+ certified, don't buy, it's junk.

maverick knight

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Stick with Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, FSP, Silverstone, PC Power and Cooling, etc.

Ironic that you mention Corsair. My first PSU was in fact Corsair 650w and died after 2 weeks of use. I wasnt even overclocking, and my GPU is a gtx 260. I dont hate on Corsair for this though, Corsair is still good quality.

Make sure the unit you get is at least 80+ certified. PSU's that meet the 80+ certification are rated like this:
80+
8o+ bronze
80+ silver
80+ gold
and so on in that order ranked by efficiency under load.

A cheapo unit will not even have a 8o+ certification. Some will even say "up to 80%" to fool you but that is by no means an 80+ certification. If it's not at least 80+ certified, don't buy, it's junk.

Now this is true. This %80+ cert applies to all PSU makers world wide. I am in Japan and there are PSU brands that arent heard of anywhere else but asia and they still have the 80+ cert. I have a Scythe "Energia" 850w modular, and is pretty bad ass so far.