Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fractal Design Define R3 vs CM 690 II Advanced

Last response: in Components
Share
May 23, 2011 10:43:44 AM

Hello guys,
I'm looking for a new case around the £75 mark, I've done a load of research, and I've narrowed it down to these two cases. My first priority is SILENCE, I am trying to make my rig almost inaudible, and according to reviews these two cases are about as silent as PC cases get.

The R3 is SUPPOSED to be quieter, but it has worse airflow, which could lead to my graphics cards fans revving up more (which could mean a louder build overall)
The CM 690 II is probably slightly louder, but it has better airflow which means my graphics cards fans won't be as loud.

Has anyone had experience with either of these cases? Because I really need to know which one is quieter.

Oh BTW, my rig is a 2600k @ 4.5 with a Scythe Mugen 2 (silent at idle), and HD 6850 crossfire (which is the main source of noise in my build)

Cheers ;) 
a b ) Power supply
a c 227 U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 2:38:49 PM

As silence is your major concern, the R3 is the better choice. The 6850s really don't run that hot, so as long as you have a good power supply and don't overclock the 6850s too high, you should be fine. Just be sure to add an additional "quiet" 120mm case fan to the front fan mount and you will be good to go.

Good luck!
a c 274 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 3:04:15 PM

I have a CM690II with 4 case fans and i wouldn't consider it silent.
My Antec 902 with 5 case case fans is alot quieter..
Buy the R3 and replace the stock fans with Thermalright fans if you like silent with airflow.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-thermalright-liqui...
Related resources
May 23, 2011 3:17:30 PM

davcon said:
I have a CM690II with 4 case fans and i wouldn't consider it silent.
My Antec 902 with 5 case case fans is alot quieter..
Buy the R3 and replace the stock fans with Thermalright fans if you like silent with airflow.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-thermalright-liqui...


Oh, thanks I think I will go with the R3.
But a lot of people say that the included fans in the R3 are as quiet as fans get. So I'm not sure if it's worth buying separate fans.
a c 274 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 3:23:38 PM

1000FPS said:
Oh, thanks I think I will go with the R3.
But a lot of people say that the included fans in the R3 are as quiet as fans get. So I'm not sure if it's worth buying separate fans.

If you google or read enough reviews most users end up replacing the stock fans.
Yes they are silent but at the expense of airflow.
Thermalright fans X-Silents 120 and 140mm are silent and have more airflow.
If you're happy with the stock fans performance great!
I'm just giving you a really good replacement option if you decide to upgrade the fans.
May 23, 2011 3:47:09 PM

davcon said:
If you google or read enough reviews most users end up replacing the stock fans.
Yes they are silent but at the expense of airflow.
Thermalright fans X-Silents 120 and 140mm are silent and have more airflow.
If you're happy with the stock fans performance great!
I'm just giving you a really good replacement option if you decide to upgrade the fans.


Have you actually tried that Thermalright fan?
A couple of weeks ago, I bought two fans rated at 15db, but they're quite loud. And what's the difference between "dbA", and just "db"? Same thing?
Anyway, I will definitely consider that fan you posed
a b ) Power supply
a c 227 U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 3:52:09 PM

1000FPS said:
Have you actually tried that Thermalright fan?
A couple of weeks ago, I bought two fans rated at 15db, but they're quite loud. And what's the difference between "dbA", and just "db"? Same thing?
Anyway, I will definitely consider that fan you posed

I wouldn't worry about any differences between db and dbA. The R3 is going to be very quiet in its default (out of the box) config. Try it out and see if you need to change fans. In all likelihood, you will be good with the case as is. Good luck!
May 23, 2011 3:56:46 PM

COLGeek said:
I wouldn't worry about any differences between db and dbA. The R3 is going to be very quiet in its default (out of the box) config. Try it out and see if you need to change fans. In all likelihood, you will be good with the case as is. Good luck!


Cheers, I agree there's no point making decisions before I've bought it!
a b ) Power supply
a c 227 U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 3:58:27 PM

1000FPS said:
Cheers, I agree there's no point making decisions before I've bought it!

I am sure you will be quite pleased with the end results. Later!
a c 274 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 4:02:34 PM

1000FPS said:
Have you actually tried that Thermalright fan?
A couple of weeks ago, I bought two fans rated at 15db, but they're quite loud. And what's the difference between "dbA", and just "db"? Same thing?
Anyway, I will definitely consider that fan you posed

As a matter of fact yes! i have two of them and they are definitely 20db.
Original had one on my cpu cooler and couldn't tell if it was spinning or not = had to look for a few days that's how silent it is.
Subsequently bought another for push/pull it's still quiet.
I would stick with X-Silents not the FDB's if you want the best balance of silent/airflow.
May 23, 2011 5:02:04 PM

I have an R3 with the 2600k and a 6950. I am only using the two stock fans. The whole thing is dead silent, and it's 2 feet from my head.
May 24, 2011 1:43:53 PM

WWBD said:
I have an R3 with the 2600k and a 6950. I am only using the two stock fans. The whole thing is dead silent, and it's 2 feet from my head.


Sweet :)  That's good to hear
!