Fractal Design Define R3 vs CM 690 II Advanced

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Hello guys,
I'm looking for a new case around the £75 mark, I've done a load of research, and I've narrowed it down to these two cases. My first priority is SILENCE, I am trying to make my rig almost inaudible, and according to reviews these two cases are about as silent as PC cases get.

The R3 is SUPPOSED to be quieter, but it has worse airflow, which could lead to my graphics cards fans revving up more (which could mean a louder build overall)
The CM 690 II is probably slightly louder, but it has better airflow which means my graphics cards fans won't be as loud.

Has anyone had experience with either of these cases? Because I really need to know which one is quieter.

Oh BTW, my rig is a 2600k @ 4.5 with a Scythe Mugen 2 (silent at idle), and HD 6850 crossfire (which is the main source of noise in my build)

Cheers ;)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
As silence is your major concern, the R3 is the better choice. The 6850s really don't run that hot, so as long as you have a good power supply and don't overclock the 6850s too high, you should be fine. Just be sure to add an additional "quiet" 120mm case fan to the front fan mount and you will be good to go.

Good luck!

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

Oh, thanks I think I will go with the R3.
But a lot of people say that the included fans in the R3 are as quiet as fans get. So I'm not sure if it's worth buying separate fans.

If you google or read enough reviews most users end up replacing the stock fans.
Yes they are silent but at the expense of airflow.
Thermalright fans X-Silents 120 and 140mm are silent and have more airflow.
If you're happy with the stock fans performance great!
I'm just giving you a really good replacement option if you decide to upgrade the fans.

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

Have you actually tried that Thermalright fan?
A couple of weeks ago, I bought two fans rated at 15db, but they're quite loud. And what's the difference between "dbA", and just "db"? Same thing?
Anyway, I will definitely consider that fan you posed

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I wouldn't worry about any differences between db and dbA. The R3 is going to be very quiet in its default (out of the box) config. Try it out and see if you need to change fans. In all likelihood, you will be good with the case as is. Good luck!

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

Cheers, I agree there's no point making decisions before I've bought it!

As a matter of fact yes! i have two of them and they are definitely 20db.
Original had one on my cpu cooler and couldn't tell if it was spinning or not = had to look for a few days that's how silent it is.
Subsequently bought another for push/pull it's still quiet.
I would stick with X-Silents not the FDB's if you want the best balance of silent/airflow.

WWBD

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
I have an R3 with the 2600k and a 6950. I am only using the two stock fans. The whole thing is dead silent, and it's 2 feet from my head.

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

Sweet :) That's good to hear