Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Does anyone know if there is a way to recover the password used to protect a
player's turnfile? They set it last round and have now forgotten (or typo'd)
the password. :p

AFAIK many hosts around the world would appreciate a "remove password"
feature for host but Tim has not yet released such a thing.

Fabian

Chris wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a way to recover the password used to
protect a
> player's turnfile? They set it last round and have now forgotten (or
typo'd)
> the password. :p

nameless

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

Fabian wrote:
> AFAIK many hosts around the world would appreciate a "remove
password"
> feature for host but Tim has not yet released such a thing.
>
> Fabian

Well IMO only as an option that host can set at the beginning of a game
and then cannot be changed afterwards. Otherwise it would remove the
whole use of the password protection.

I see your point, BUT

- what about the end of a game?

- what if a player drops and does not reply to mails?

- what if (as happened here) a player forgets his PW?

Stupid things that shouldn't happen but they nevertheless do!

Fabian

Have the host send a message to everyone notifying them that the host
has removed password protection from plaer X's turn file. Then you can
add the feature without looseing the use of passwords.

Fabian wrote:
> I see your point, BUT
>
> - what about the end of a game?
>
> - what if a player drops and does not reply to mails?
>
> - what if (as happened here) a player forgets his PW?
>
> Stupid things that shouldn't happen but they nevertheless do!
>
> Fabian

nameless

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

Fabian wrote:
> I see your point, BUT
>
> - what about the end of a game?

First of all I do not see a reason why anything should be different for
the game end! And then the players could then always provide their
passwords, that is
if they want to! Besides the players could at the point of game end
still set the password to an empty string, effectively removing the
password- in the worst case that would just mean another host run.

> - what if a player drops and does not reply to mails?

I would say that is the problem of the game host, and I would still
be against the removal of the password. And in that case there is just
no option for a replacement this is that simple - you might consider
that with not removing the password (by the former player) he did
express that he did not want anybody else playing in his stead...

And take in mind that if it is a onetime host option at game start, the
host still has the power to prevent the above mentioned thing.

> - what if (as happened here) a player forgets his PW?

In that case it is the problem of the player, he should not have used
one in the first place - otherwise if it was a new set password, you
could always rerun the last host (in that case preferable without the
last trn of the culprit).
BTW there is absolutly no reason for the player to not have written it
down somewhere (of course I did not).

> Stupid things that shouldn't happen but they nevertheless do!

Were never my problems I still know the password for the onetime I did
use a password myself, interestingly only a few turns before I demanded
to be dropped - it is rather long. BTW in that case it was the point to
make it more or less impossible for anybody else to continue with that
race (or even to view the final rst - in which one could not see much
anyway).

I think this was discussed over at yahoo group vgap-93.

The answer is sent it over to Tim, he can crack it quickly.
And also several major hosts know how to crack passwords as well.

First: It is possible for an experienced host to remove the password.

Then: It might be useful for not so experienced hosts to have the
feature of disabling passwords. Maybe this generates a message. Maybe
therefor hosts will not be allowed to play their own games anymore. I
don't know. But it would be very useful!

Especially for new players and hosts it often is a big problem if some
player leaves and does not reset his password.

I've hosted quite a few games and had some really hard times so I'm
damn sure I know what I'm talking about, cowboy!

:)

Fabian

nameless

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

Fabian wrote:
> First: It is possible for an experienced host to remove the password.

That has nothing to do with being experienced in hosting.
And there is a distinct difference between removing a password and
cracking a password (in one case you know the password and in the other
it is no longer there).
And yes cracking is possible, it would be strange if it would not be,
considering
that you can create rsts, which are absolutly the same except for a
password...

TRENDING THREADS