Sign in with
Your question

Evga gtx 460 EE cooling question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 20, 2010 3:35:59 AM

I was thinking of getting a gtx 460 and have settled on the Evga gtx 460 FPB EE from newegg. I looked around at temps for this model and they are all over the place. Some say it hits 100C, some say 67C-77C. I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the airflow in the system. I have a front intake fan pulling air in, an intake on the side pannel blasting the pcie slot with cold air, and a top and rear exhaust fan. My idle temps of the system are 28C case temp, cpu 22C, and temp2 and temp3 on speed fan are 32C. On 100% (future mark for gpu/prime95 for cpu) temps get to cpu 48C, gpu at 72C (this is passivly cooled at the moment, fan is busted on my 9600gt, it is usally around 58C with a working fan), and case temp at 33C. Will this be enough airflow for this beast?

System-
Case: Antec 300 with added fans
Motherboard: GA-MA785GM-US2H
CPU: AMD 435 X3 @ 3.4ghz
RAM:4gb DDR2 800mhz ram @ 831mhz 5-4-4-8-16
GPU: Evga 9600gt 512mb
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus

Also if my temps will be OK, are my systems specs good enough to uprade to this?
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2010 3:46:04 AM

Looks good enough.The Antec 300 is a case with good airflow, so there should not be any overheating problems.
a c 85 U Graphics card
December 20, 2010 4:58:00 AM

imwithstupid118 said:
I was thinking of getting a gtx 460 and have settled on the Evga gtx 460 FPB EE from newegg. I looked around at temps for this model and they are all over the place. Some say it hits 100C, some say 67C-77C. I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the airflow in the system. I have a front intake fan pulling air in, an intake on the side pannel blasting the pcie slot with cold air, and a top and rear exhaust fan. My idle temps of the system are 28C case temp, cpu 22C, and temp2 and temp3 on speed fan are 32C. On 100% (future mark for gpu/prime95 for cpu) temps get to cpu 48C, gpu at 72C (this is passivly cooled at the moment, fan is busted on my 9600gt, it is usally around 58C with a working fan), and case temp at 33C. Will this be enough airflow for this beast?

System-
Case: Antec 300 with added fans
Motherboard: GA-MA785GM-US2H
CPU: AMD 435 X3 @ 3.4ghz
RAM:4gb DDR2 800mhz ram @ 831mhz 5-4-4-8-16
GPU: Evga 9600gt 512mb
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus

Also if my temps will be OK, are my systems specs good enough to uprade to this?

i'm running a 460 1gb with the reference cooler and have it OC'd a bit too. i can play black ops on 1920x1080 for hours and never touch 60C. the EE runs a bit hotter on the card and lowers your case temps a bit, but i don't see any reason why you'd run 20+C higher than me. I'm usin a nzxt lexa s case.
Related resources
January 23, 2011 5:05:49 PM

hi i have a simular config with cold air pushing into my case from the side and the front and hot air pulling out of the case from the rear and the top.

you say that the ee version has higher temps but it lower case temps. will this be the case with my config becuase there will be a big fan blowing cold air right at it so the gpu will be sucking in cold air from outside the case and not hot air from inside the case.

so will the ee version actually still be higher temps than the standard version.

i ask this becuase the ee version seams to be cheaper than the normal version

a c 537 U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 5:44:06 PM

Don't worry about the temps on a GTX460 EE version. There is no way it is going to get anywhere near 100c. For the most part, it will be similar to other GTX460's. There is a relatively wide range of temperatures possible on different brands and different designs. So while the EE version may come in a few degrees higher, there may be some other non-EE models that are even higher than that. The amount of overclock has the biggest impact on GPU temperatures. Temp shouldn't be too much of a concern with the External Exhaust anyway.

FYI, this chart shows the impact of the External Exhaust on in case temperatures.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
a c 85 U Graphics card
January 24, 2011 4:20:22 PM

madman658 said:
hi i have a simular config with cold air pushing into my case from the side and the front and hot air pulling out of the case from the rear and the top.

you say that the ee version has higher temps but it lower case temps. will this be the case with my config becuase there will be a big fan blowing cold air right at it so the gpu will be sucking in cold air from outside the case and not hot air from inside the case.

so will the ee version actually still be higher temps than the standard version.

i ask this becuase the ee version seams to be cheaper than the normal version

i got an evga gtx460 1gb with the reference cooler for $180. i'd stay away from the EE, not because of a heat problem because it's a minor temp difference between the two cooling designs, but rather the EE is noticeably louder, smaller fan spinning faster means more noise.
!