Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Flickering texture problem! Please Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 20, 2010 10:11:20 AM

Hello, I'm having an issue with flickering textures. In games that support DX11 it seems this issue is not present, but in games without it like supreme commander 2 and Star craft 2 textures are being stretched and are flickering like crazy. Ive tried updating DX and videos drivers please help me.
December 20, 2010 12:27:06 PM

What about your FULL specs?
m
0
l
December 20, 2010 5:52:33 PM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA790GP-UD4H
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
AMD Phenom II X4 940
8 GB ram
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series Xfired
5770s to be more specific.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 20, 2010 9:05:49 PM

travis2861 said:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA790GP-UD4H
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
AMD Phenom II X4 940
8 GB ram
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series Xfired


Hmm sounds to me like one of your cards might be having some problem and or Drivers issues if you recently updated your drivers. I want you to try disabling the X-fire and run your games the same you would if they where X-fired and see if you see the same results with both cards running the game.(1 card at a time not both)
m
0
l
December 20, 2010 10:40:03 PM

i tried disabling this and still the same result i would think the issue would be one of the cards but, world of warcraft was having this same issue a while ago with the "Ground Clutter Density setting" i looked for fixes when that was happening they said enable DX11 within the game that solved that issue. I've also tried drivers back as late as 10.8 when the issue didnt exist.
m
0
l
December 20, 2010 10:58:17 PM

travis2861 said:
i tried disabling this and still the same result i would think the issue would be one of the cards but, world of warcraft was having this same issue a while ago with the "Ground Clutter Density setting" i looked for fixes when that was happening they said enable DX11 within the game that solved that issue. I've also tried drivers back as late as 10.8 when the issue didnt exist.


So you ran 1 card at a time same settings and the problem still exists in game?
m
0
l
December 20, 2010 11:00:29 PM

yes besides the drivers thats the next thing i tried when i get home ill try it again to make sure i didn't do the same card twice the results each time were the same.
m
0
l
December 20, 2010 11:11:19 PM

travis2861 said:
yes besides the drivers thats the next thing i tried when i get home ill try it again to make sure i didn't do the same card twice the results each time were the same.


OK and if you can try both PCIe slots with each card like card(1)- use (1st)PCIe - (2nd)PCIe |and| card(2)- use (1st)PCIe - (2nd)PCIe, I know its time consuming but you gotta try everything to make sure its not a PCIe slot problem too. As for now i have to step out for a few hours just let me know your results, if i don't get back tonight i will check it out tomorrow :) 

GL!
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 3:46:04 AM

There was dust in the first PCIe slot -.-

I'm going to go kill myself now.

Goodbye and thank you very much. (Much Appreciated!!!)



Problem is still persisting about 10 min later I'm totally lost now.

when i was trying the combinations all of them worked.
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 4:10:15 AM

just unplugged bottom card power cord and took the xfire cable off.

is my psu bad? i know it has enough power it 1k am i just over looking something?

i just tried several combinations of xfire cable plugged in and psu plugged in to both cards results are mixed I'm lost

i was looking through Google about stretching textures, and came across something called z compression any info on this?

just finished testing my theory 3 different DX11 games the stretching texture problem is non existent.
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 8:32:56 PM

travis2861 said:
just unplugged bottom card power cord and took the xfire cable off.

is my psu bad? i know it has enough power it 1k am i just over looking something?

i just tried several combinations of xfire cable plugged in and psu plugged in to both cards results are mixed I'm lost

i was looking through Google about stretching textures, and came across something called z compression any info on this?

just finished testing my theory 3 different DX11 games the stretching texture problem is non existent.


did you ever notice this problem before? or is this the first time you're playing this game?, Cause X-fire and some games might have some problems weather its the game and needing a new patch to fix the problem using X-fire OR it could just be a Driver problem with the game in X-fire cause you did say you didn't have the texture problem running you cards singly in game right?

And are you using updated drivers from ATI?.......if you don't know just open your catalyst control center and looking under the info tab and it will tell you.
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 8:56:34 PM

im currently useing 10.12.

through the combinations a tried yes they all seemed to work but when i had them both plugged in not even set in Xfire the problem seemed to arise. what baffles me is why is the problem only apparent in some games? is it solely because of the Xfire?

i was already planning on upgrading to a 6990 when they are released sometime next quarter but i need to figure out if i need to replace something else aswell.
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 9:00:56 PM

travis2861 said:
im currently useing 10.12.

through the combinations a tried yes they all seemed to work but when i had them both plugged in not even set in Xfire the problem seemed to arise. what baffles me is why is the problem only apparent in some games? is it solely because of the Xfire?

i was already planning on upgrading to a 6990 when they are released sometime next quarter but i need to figure out if i need to replace something else aswell.


Well like i said it might just be the game needed a patch to fix that texture problem when using X-fire, btw what game is it?....that might help me with a solid answer to your problem.
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 9:27:05 PM

I've seen the issue in 4 games Star craft 2, Supreme commander 2, The Ball, and world of Warcraft. But the world of Warcraft issue was solved when i enabled DX11 within the games command line.
m
0
l

Best solution

December 21, 2010 11:23:06 PM

supreme commander 2 - I been looking up Flickering texture problems on supreme commander 2 and a couple of quick ideas depending on the game/flickering textures. Try adjusting the Mipmap quality to performance mode.. and make sure you don't accidentally have Vsync conflicting with in-game settings, make sure it says ''Off,unless application specifies''......another thing was people Disabled Catalyst AI all together and it corrected the issue.


Starcraft 2 - I found that turning off Catalyst A.I. seemed to help most. Also maybe try the Vsync on/off.


The Ball - Couldn't find anything on that but i would give the same methods that you need to apply to supreme commander 2 and Starcraft 2 to The ball, might be the same issues with the Catalyst A.I.


Give them a try and see how it turns out......
Share
December 21, 2010 11:38:49 PM

didn't work for any game.

do you have any other suggestions.
m
0
l
January 13, 2011 3:42:51 PM

Im having the exact same issue, and im sure its a DX11 problem as well. When i run wow sometimes it reverts back to not using dx11, and i know right aaway because whenever im not in a city, theres plants and foliage and what not stretching through my screen making the game un playable. As soon as i enable dx11 again, its fine. Same issue with starcraft, except its usually just like a laser show going off as i play, can still mostly play. Played Dvinity, Dragon Knight Saga, and it was fine on the seconds part of the game, but trying to play the first campaign was impossible things wouldnt render unless the camera was at a perfect angle. Also used to play spore no ssues before, and now its also impossible just jagged messes all over with random textures.

Im using and alienware m17x r2, with crossfired HD4870

Heres an example, not as bad as it can be sometimes. Especially in deepholm
m
0
l
January 20, 2011 2:36:14 AM

Best answer selected by travis2861.
m
0
l
February 27, 2011 1:47:03 PM

Personally, I got tired of having to wait months for ATI to correct the flicker issues with their drivers for certain games (they eventually do, but by that time, you're done playing a particular game). I had 3 5850s, then switched to nvidia and have no problems with drivers, flicker or otherwise.

I really didn't want to be one of those people paying the extra money for the equivalent performance, but after being fed up and switching I've found you also don't have to deal with the driver hassles. To me, the time saved not having to deal with trying to figure out why this game or that game still has an issue with flicker and not having to deal with the other various global driver-related issues introduced each month is worth every penny.
m
0
l
!