Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h Slug

Gestarken

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
My sys crashed...it was a Supermicro w/Pent D extreme 3.2. It was great but the board is no longer available. "Upgraded" with the Gigabyte 890gpa and Phenom II X6 1075 and 4g 1333 ram/sata 2t hd. This thing is a screaming slug. Takes forever (XP pro) to install a program, update windoz, or anything! Took hours to install Windoz. I have updated Gigabytes stuff and reinstalled all drivers. There are only two or three progs installed at present, so no overhead there. Any suggestions?

What kind of hard drives are you using? If they are 5400RPM drives, they will be terribly slow, but 7200RPM drives should be running fairly smoothly.

Just curious, but why use XP when W7 is much faster and lighter? If you need XP compatibility, W7 Pro and up have XP compatibility modes to run legacy programs.

Gestarken

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
HD is WD 7200 2T. I have Win 7 Ultimate on another computer and hate it. Thinking od setting up a dual boot. Wanted this one back like it was. I could install ANYTHING (almost) on my old system in a matter of very few minutes. I just installed Nero on this thing and it took an hour! I have checked the disk with utilities provided by WD but have concluded something must be amiss on the MB. I have reset everything to default after fumbling with almost every setting on the MB. I fear it is a junker. Either that or the Phenom is faulty. I tried the ram in another machine and it checks out ok. At a loss. I have been building systems for over 25 years...this thing reminds me of a Commodore 64. The board and chip came in a packaged "deal". Chip is cool...40C. Only put one HD and one DVD to avoid any other conflicts. No USB items connected or exotic sound or video cards either...just bare bones until I figure out this mess. Thanks for your response.