Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
AMD clearly wrote me back and told me no matter what MoBo technology or how you unlock or overclock an AMD CPU - it :non: WILL VOID THE WARRANTY :non: .

I am not pulling strings here or trying to get someone to say something and hold them liable for their words - but seriously :kaola:

1] How can/will ANY one know if I have unlocked or overclocked the CPU?
2] Aren't MOST if not ALL these overclockable CPU's "clipped down" failures? i.e. an X2 could very well have been an X4 but failed and was clipped down to a stable X2 or X3?
3] And If I DO unlock, how could ANY one know if I re-lock it back?
4] Short of burning it up by pushing too much power through it, how can ANY one tell how much power has been ran through the CPU?
5] Isn't UCC technology something like "jumpers" on the manufacturer's boards that simply jump pins together (kinda like the old AMD days with the silver paint and scotch tape method?)

I am just curious if anyone REALLY has the inside info on this subject because NO ONE on the net seems to verify or validate these questions I have.

4745454b

Titan
Aany one else have any experiences with this subject matter?

Just that your "little white lie" ends up costing AMD and by extension us money. If your going to unlock or OC, man up if it fails. Sending something back for a new part is not only dishonest, but increases costs for the company causing prices to rise for the rest of us.

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Something NEW to add to AMD warranties:

Quote from AMD:
"USING A 3RD PARTY HEAT SINK VOIDS WARRANTY INCLUDING ALL LIQUID COOLING SYSTEMS."

4745454b

Titan
Its not new, and its for the Retail packaging. Its why they offer only one yr for OEM.

Edit: To expand on this a bit. AMD needs to sell a package that they can provide a warranty to for those who want it. But its real easy to mess up the heatsink part of building. By providing a sink they know will handle the heat of the chip, and the correct amount of paste they know what the avg failure rate will be. I'd like them to cut us some slack if we use a cooler that uses the stock retention bracket, but that still leaves the paste issue.

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

OEM - do you mean; a TRAY or CLAMSHELL cpu (no box or heatsink)??

no, it is NOT 1 year - it is retailer's choice. Newegg = 30 days.

PIB's (Processor In Box - w/ heatsink); Newegg = 30 days + AMD = 3 years

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

I guess they have - that would have been a LOT nicer/cooler of AMD - within the last month I had contacted them about this and that's what they told me anyway.

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
very true about HP giving warranty - usually how it works anyway.

something cool I stumbled upon last night that I myself suspected - and now have more logical point to see from;

Snippet:
"Cache memory and extra cores on these microprocessors are disabled due to internal core or memory defects, or to meet market demand. Unfortunately, it's not possible to tell whether the features were locked down because the core or cache memory didn't pass quality assurance tests, or because high-profile OEM company needed a large number of cheap parts with fewer cores and/or smaller size of cache."

This means you probably have a much BETTER chance at unlocking with a CLAMSHELL or OEM (a.k.a. TRAY) than you will with a PIB.

This is the only solution as to why people are so successful at unlocking OEM/Tray/Clamshell CPU's. Average is like 50%of the time.