460 vs 460 SSC

Hello all and thank you for reading

I am looking for a new card. i have chosen the nvidia 460

I have one problem tho, the super clocked version! what makes it soo different from the non super clocked one.
I rather save the $20 and get the non super clocked one if all they did was a overclock.
So is there any new/improved design at all ? any better cooling ? anything other then the bios over clock evga did to the super clocked edition?

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked 1024MB (01G-P3-1372-TR) nVidia GeForce GTX 460 Chipset (763Mhz) 1024MB (3800Mhz) GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card

vs

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB (01G-P3-1370-TR) nVidia GeForce GTX 460 Chipset (720Mhz) 1024MB (3600Mhz) GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card

thanks for the read
5 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Yeah, just some more "speed" from factory overclocked card.
    So, if you don't OC at all then get that SSC card instead of non superclocked one.
  2. EVGA do test their chips in house, I couldnt say specifically how they test, by which I mean I dont know if they test for a differance between the two cards you have specified. I know the FTW card uses only the best chips.
    You would think they rate the others while they are at it but i couldnt say 100% for sure.

Mactronix :)
  3. 720Mhz OC'd to 763Mhz is only like a 5-6% overclock. So in theory, you'd see 5-6% better performance. Although, it doesn't always equate equally like that.

If you'd rather save the $20, I'd say go for it! :) Honestly you could overclock the standard video card to 763Mhz by yourself more than likely. Though you probably don't need to.
  4. Thanks for the response's.
    I'm planing on overclocking it only when i need it.
    Ill look in to the ftw cards, i didnt know they had better chips.
    I rather save the $20, need all the extra for the new monitor i wanna get. :wahoo:
  5. That's a good plan, save your money, you can OC that card by yourself... :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Geforce Nvidia Graphics