Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should we expect computer prices to drop once BD is released?

Last response: in CPUs
May 23, 2011 6:04:08 PM

This question has some overlap with the Laptop forum, so pardon me if it's more suited for that forum section.

I'm a bit of a rookie to the cpu landscape, but I've been doing a lot of research in preparation to buy a new laptop and retire my struggling Dell Inspiron 6400.

I'm pretty interested in buying a laptop with an i7-xxxx processor as I'm hoping to "future proof" my laptop as much as possible while also making sure my laptop can handle a load of heavy multitasking (photoshop, illustrator, big excel files, etc) with some moderate gaming use too (mostly strategy games like SC2, Civ games, etc).

My only hesitation is that with the impending release of Bulldozer processors, would it be wise to delay my purchase until BD is released in hopes that Intel and AMD will start cutting prices as a result of competition between the 2 processors?

The other thing is that I'd only be willing to wait so long, as my current laptop is struggling to handle most of the heavier tasks I need it to do, and these slow downs are really beginning to wear on my patience. I heard Bulldozer is supposed to hit the markets anytime between mid June and late July--is this still the consensus?

Thanks everyone!
a c 149 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2011 6:15:01 PM

Waiting on BD (or insert any "next big tech") can be fruitless in the end. Also, assuming that BD's launch will significantly reduce the prices of the current generation of tech may be wishful thinking as well.

Will the release of BD change the pricing landscape? Maybe, but with hardware profit margins already pretty low, I wouldn't expect massive reductions (a few percentage price drop, but nothing dramatic).

So, my recommendation is this. Develop a budget to include everything you think you need (hardware and software) and then buy what best fits your requirements now.
m
l

Best solution

May 23, 2011 6:20:53 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm replacing a rapidly-aging system (a Prescott 2M Pent4) in time for Battlefield 3 -- to be released this fall. For now, my computer does the job fine, which makes the decision hard.

Do I buy a SB system now? Do I wait for Bulldozer? Do I wait until Sandy Bridge prices drop?

Basically, no one that posts on this site knows any of the following:

1) Will Bulldozer beat SB?

2) Will Bulldozer be SB's equal, lower-price rival?

3) Will SB prices fall on their own?

Anyone that tries to come on here and say that Bulldozer will be better than SB is making up the answer. Anyone that says it will be, quote, "a generation behind" is saying that based on the fact that AMD's current line of processors is a generation behind. This, of course, is a terrible analysis.

Anyone that can project Bulldozer's price is citing some random charts found on a Turkish-language technology website supposedly leaked from AMD and is just full of it.

Anyone that can project price falls for SB components is making that up as well. No one knows what Intel will do; not even Intel knows what it will do -- they don't know how Bulldozer will be price or will perform.

My point is -- take the answers that you get to this question with a grain of salt, because anyone that answers is just guessing.

My tip -- keep an eye on slickdeals.net to watch how the prices change. I would also point out that computer prices are so low as a percentage of what I assume is a pretty decent income you pull in, so I wouldn't worry too much about price and just go and buy what you want. A hundred bucks out of a $70k salary is nothing.
Related resources
May 23, 2011 6:27:39 PM

fullofzen said:
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm replacing a rapidly-aging system (a Prescott 2M Pent4) in time for Battlefield 3 -- to be released this fall. For now, my computer does the job fine, which makes the decision hard.

Do I buy a SB system now? Do I wait for Bulldozer? Do I wait until Sandy Bridge prices drop?

Basically, no one that posts on this site knows any of the following:

1) Will Bulldozer beat SB?

2) Will Bulldozer be SB's equal, lower-price rival?

3) Will SB prices fall on their own?

Anyone that tries to come on here and say that Bulldozer will be better than SB because SB is so good is making up the answer.

Anyone that can project Bulldozer's price is citing some random charts found on a Turkish-language technology website supposedly leaked from AMD and is just full of it.

Anyone that can project price falls for SB components is making that up as well.

My point is -- take the answers that you get to this question with a grain of salt, because anyone that answers is just guessing.

My tip -- keep an eye on slickdeals.net to watch how the prices change.

lol at the turkish website. I see your point about speculation, but I would think there would at least be some precedents we can use to make reasonable predictions as to how markets will react when a new CPU is introduced. But maybe there are just too many variables at play here, and as the COLGeek pointed out, the drops in price might be negligible in any case due to tight profit margins in this industry.
m
l
May 23, 2011 6:38:15 PM

chrismv48 said:
lol at the turkish website. I see your point about speculation, but I would think there would at least be some precedents we can use to make reasonable predictions as to how markets will react when a new CPU is introduced. But maybe there are just too many variables at play here, and as the COLGeek pointed out, the drops in price might be negligible in any case due to tight profit margins in this industry.

No one knew that Sandy Bridge was going to be as good as it was; there was no way to know. Lynnfield -- the predacessor to SB -- was extremely powerful and overkill for most applications that a user would toss at it -- games, video editing, DVD rips, whatever -- but Intel managed to knock one out of the park with SB.

AMD has some pretty sharp people -- they have been around the block a few times and surprised a lot of people back in 2003 with the Athlon 64 while Intel was struggling with the Pentium 4. So there's one precedent.

Another precedent is AMD's struggle to match the performance of Intel's i3/i5/i7 core series and before that with the core duo series all the way back to 2005.

There has been so much back-and-forth between Intel and AMD over the last 15 years that anyone can find competing examples of why AMD will or will not knock Intel back on its heels that past history cannot be used. One man's opinion.

I do have to thank you for putting this thread up; I have been on the fence about making this upgrade. I've been watching the price of Sandy Bridge processors and motherboards every day since February and the prices haven't budged and a lot of people point out examples of Intel processor prices all the way back to the core 2 duo era that never changed. I think I might just pull the trigger on Sandy Bridge today, actually.

My wife will be thrilled... :whistle: 
m
l
a c 149 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2011 6:41:31 PM

Good luck to both of you. Have fun!
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2011 7:37:22 PM

I dont think that it will change prices much.
m
l
June 2, 2011 12:16:01 AM

Best answer selected by chrismv48.
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
June 2, 2011 2:24:47 AM

AMD has just recently dropped prices, now is a good time to buy a phenom 955. I would suggest getting a motherboard that supports bulldozer to go with it though for future upgrades.
m
l
July 2, 2011 1:14:01 AM

I started building PC's in the late 80's and I guess my preference in AMD sprouted from an age when Microsoft and Intel were using their clout to bully everybody else.

When AMD is in front, I buy AMD because they are in front. When not, I buy them because they need my support to survive and climb back to the top.

Life without options make you somebody's slave, lets hope Apple has some worthy competition soon...

Alwyn
m
l
!