Do I have 2GB of memory or 4GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

syounts

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Hi all,
I decided to order more memory for my hp Pavillion dv9500t (with Vista), and upgrade from the 2GB I originally ordered to 4GB. I went to Crucial, ran the diagnostic (and also checked my system folder). I do only have 2gb of RAM.
Then, at the last minute, I had a thought. Let's see what is under the hood. I removed the memory cover.

I have two slots, as the crucial web site says (crucial says I have one full with a 2 gb module, and one empty) but both slots have a module. Ok, so maybe what crucial really means is that I have two slots (and I COULD put in two 2gb modules) but each slot only holds a 1 gb module, thus I am at 2gb which is 50% capacity for RAM (and thus to upgrade I really DO need two new 2 gb modules!).

However, I google the part # on my ram (KVR667D2K2SO/4GR) and at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134605 I learn that this part # is for a set of two 2gb memory modules. I confiimed all of this again with a crucial help person, it IS confusing but the part # is correct for 4 GB, I DO have two slots, both are filled and I only have 2046MB of RAM.

So why does it appear that I only have 2gb and not 4 gb? Is one module inactive?
thanks for your thoughts

Solution
Yes, now I follow you. But the fact still remains that one of your slots appears to not be working. That's unfortunate. It appears your machine had 4GB memory all along. But it had one dead slot. Since the good slot can only hold 2GB max, you are stuck with a 2GB, single channel machine... or the expense of buying a new machine.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

And I would suggest you pull each stick out and re seat them as one of them may not be fully inserted thus showing only 2gig of ram. You can also use CPU-Z to check if it shows two sticks of ram at 1gig or just one stick confirming that one of the sticks is not inserted and or not working.

syounts

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
thanks for the responses. I checked the bios this morning. It confirms all other data that 2GB is installed. Also: I originally only ordered and paid for 2GB.
Additional note: both modules have identical part #s. So far only the online information on that part # says that each module should be 2GB and half of a 4GB set.
Now I plan on reversing the modules, switching each to the others' slot.

syounts

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Thanks BryonHowley for the suggestion to use CPU-Z:
The memory tab on the CPU-Z report says:
Type: DDR2
Size: 2048 MBytes
Channels #: Single
I switched the modules before running CPUZ and still only have 2GB showing, so both modules seem to be seated correctly.
I am not sure how one determines from the rept. if there are two sticks working at 1 gig each or or that one of the sticks is just not working. does that relate to the channel information? (ie. "single")

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
CPU-Z's "SPD" tab will give you access to both slots to check what is in each. But from your description of 'single channel', I'd say the system is only seeing one of the sticks. Check each stick individually in the working slot. If the working slot recognizes each stick of RAM, it's beginning to look like you might have a dead 2nd slot.

syounts

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007

thanks, clutchc,
the SPD tab shows slot #1 has the memory and slot # 2 is blank. I will again switch the memory and see if the same slots come up live. I also will jot down the serial #s, as I now have that info for the stick that is currently active.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If one of your slots is indeed dead, this is a moot point.... But remember, you must use matching sticks in both slots. The link you provided earlier shows you did indeed buy the correct pair of memory sticks. Each one is 2GB of DDR2 PC-5300.

syounts

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007

Hi clutchc,
Perhaps I misled you earlier. I have not yet purchased new memory.

The computer was working slowly and I thought I would upgrade from the original 2GB I purchase with the laptop to the 4GB maximum. While researching which memory to buy, I took off the memory cover and discovered that I have two 2GB memory modules (according to the part #s) in two slots. Thus my confusion. Why do all tests show only 2GB and not 4?

I just now switched the memory modules, each to the other socket, and ran CPU-Z again. The report still show one 2GB stick in slot #1, but now with a different part number. CPU-Z still shows nothing in slot #2. This seems to indicate that both modules work in slot one, but neither works in slot two. It seems that I have a bad slot and a memory upgrade may not work.
thanks, steve

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, now I follow you. But the fact still remains that one of your slots appears to not be working. That's unfortunate. It appears your machine had 4GB memory all along. But it had one dead slot. Since the good slot can only hold 2GB max, you are stuck with a 2GB, single channel machine... or the expense of buying a new machine.

Solution

syounts

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007

Yes, I agree.
As you know, when I ordered the laptop, I ordered the 2GB option (and not the 4GB option)
So one thing is quite strange: It appears that both sticks are working, If I ordered 2GB, then why would hp install two working 2GB sticks. Because it was cheaper? Perhaps both slots need to be occupied and this was what they had it on hand? So if they needed to fill both slots and it was convenient to insert a standard memory set, maybe they had another method for limiting customers to the memory paid for. By deactivating one slot (or never activating/installing the software/hardware to make it work). I am begining to think that the second slot never worked. hmmm.
thank you very much for continuing to think about and respond to my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.