Sign in with
Your question

Will intel pentium dual core play the latest games on 1280x1024 resolu

Last response: in CPUs
May 23, 2011 8:17:03 PM

i currently have the budget to buy dual core processor,and i want to play the latest games,and i have good GPU,so will i be able to play the latest games at that resolution,games like crysis 2 battlefield 3,dirt 3 etc...or should i wait till i budget to core 2 duo?....
May 23, 2011 8:24:25 PM

Quote:
core 2 duo's are about 2 generations old now, depending on your budget, many dual-core CPUs like the i3-2100 and the phenom II x2 555 are capable of great gaming performance, the main thing that contributes towards gaming performance tho its your GPU (or graphics card).

i meant the pentium dual cores that came before core 2 duos,like e5200...so will they play the latest games,coz when i buy a new computer,i dont want anything to interrupt my gaming...
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2011 10:33:24 PM

If you're buying a new computer you should go higher than pentium. It may run the current stuff, but in a couple of years it will be even more obsolete.
Related resources
May 24, 2011 12:05:21 AM

luv2break said:
i currently have the budget to buy dual core processor,and i want to play the latest games,and i have good GPU,so will i be able to play the latest games at that resolution,games like crysis 2 battlefield 3,dirt 3 etc...or should i wait till i budget to core 2 duo?....

You will be able to play maybe at the lowest settings possible with one of those but dont expect anything above 30 fps even with a top of the line gpu. All the games these days take advantage of quadcores and a pentium dual core is about 5 generations old, it goes: Pentium dual core, core 2 duo, core 2 quad, i3-i7 first generation, and then i3-i7 second generation. So all in all that would not be what it takes to run current games at anything above minimum if your lucky.
May 24, 2011 1:32:41 AM

It will really depend on the game, some are very CPU dependent. Crysis 2, for example, is virtually unplayable on even decent dual cores, even with a high end GPU.

Benchmarks here: http://www.techspot.com/review/379-crysis-2-performance...

Notice how even a very fast core 2 duo will give only 24 fps when paired with the monstrous GTX 590.

(btw, CPU bottlenecks are not fixed by lowering resolution)

In other games, even a cheap dual core should give enough frame rates at lower, it really all varies wildly depending on the game. The trend is for games to be more multithreaded and utilize more cores.

So I would say if you are really interested in playing the latest games, you should get at least a cheap quad like the an athlon ii x4. Better yet, you should get an i3 or i5 sandy bridge.

May 24, 2011 12:21:23 PM

What's your mobo (motherboard?)

I ask this because the real advantage of an upgrade would be the available models on the CPU support list. If your mobo only supports expensive/obselete C2D/C2Q you may want to think about waiting a while and then getting a i3/i5/i7 socket mobo and upgrading the whole way.

If your current mobo supports a wide range of C2D/C2Q you may find an upgrade in the nearer future will be worth it.

The E7600's were very affordable although I notice this is no longer the case (amazing how quickly things change in computer land!)

E8400/8500's are bit expensive - although I still make do with these.

As previous posters said, a good GPU would be the best investment as this can be ported onto a new rig, no problem.
May 24, 2011 4:31:25 PM

electroman9 said:
What's your mobo (motherboard?)

I ask this because the real advantage of an upgrade would be the available models on the CPU support list. If your mobo only supports expensive/obselete C2D/C2Q you may want to think about waiting a while and then getting a i3/i5/i7 socket mobo and upgrading the whole way.

If your current mobo supports a wide range of C2D/C2Q you may find an upgrade in the nearer future will be worth it.

The E7600's were very affordable although I notice this is no longer the case (amazing how quickly things change in computer land!)

E8400/8500's are bit expensive - although I still make do with these.

As previous posters said, a good GPU would be the best investment as this can be ported onto a new rig, no problem.

is asrock motherboard g41 a good one?...
a c 172 à CPUs
May 24, 2011 10:30:01 PM

For gaming, excessively mediocre.

The problem is the limited FSB freq. The top limit is around 350 - 360 MHz. That means that with the Yorkfield quads or E8200 series C2D's, you will not be able to achieve more than a 10% overclock.

The E6600 and E7200 series Wolfdales are a little different. Their 266 MHz FSB gives you more room and the relatively high internal multipliers can give you a useful speed increase.

I have an E6500 in a G'byte G41-ES2L running at 3.66 GHz (333 X 11) with a mediocre by today's standards ACF7P cooler. It is stable at 3.87 GHz, but the extra performance isn't needed.
May 31, 2011 5:24:29 PM

jsc is a bit on the technical side (overclocking is an advanced trick) but it is all true.

try looking for the exact model in the asrock website and find out the 'cpu support' section. That should tell you what your cpu choices are. It is worth considering a G series 775 will only support 4 GB ram and FSB is slow. Probably a processor upgrade to a E7600/e6800-ish would be your most value/economic-minded CPU upgrade for now. I wouldn't get a more powerful processor than this with your current motherboard.

An upgrade to a 1156 mobo and i3/i5/i7 processors will be worthwhile also - if you can afford it!
a c 88 à CPUs
May 31, 2011 5:40:59 PM

@op unfortunately not, my bro inlaw had a penny d dual @3.4ghz with a 98gt and 4gig of ram.
it couldn't handle crysis at minimum settings and just managed to play cod 4 at low setting x2 fsaa on a 1440/900 rez. it would give him and average of 25-32 fps with drops down to 10 when enemies were within stabbing distance and 60fps in the distance. on single player the game was fine but online it was unplayable.

with that in mind i would say forget about it for gaming even at a modest rez of 12/10 you will just be wasting your money. look at the h61 chipset and a i3 2100 or i5 2300 as a basic setup for a good grounding for a medium spec gaming pc.
the chip is only 20 pounds more than a 3.0ghz penny d @£70
the asrock MBASR-G41M-S3 is 32 pounds
and £25 for 4 gig of kingston value ram...

oh and its pointless putting a gfx card on your pc thats to much for the cpu. better to buy a balanced setup so you can get the most fps for the least amount of money.
now thats a huge step above what you want for very little money... £127 will get you some very nice basic's midrange setup...

May 31, 2011 6:15:08 PM

^ i5 SB is a high end cpu.

best gaming cpu for the money is athlon 450 x3
a c 88 à CPUs
May 31, 2011 9:38:24 PM

edgaraslt said:
^ i5 SB is a high end cpu.

best gaming cpu for the money is athlon 450 x3

who cares about price to performance when theres no actual performance.
1.8k pc marks against 3.6k for the i3 id rather pay the extra and get what im paying for... performance.
June 3, 2011 4:42:22 PM

HEXiT said:
@op unfortunately not, my bro inlaw had a penny d dual @3.4ghz with a 98gt and 4gig of ram.
it couldn't handle crysis at minimum settings and just managed to play cod 4 at low setting x2 fsaa on a 1440/900 rez. it would give him and average of 25-32 fps with drops down to 10 when enemies were within stabbing distance and 60fps in the distance. on single player the game was fine but online it was unplayable.

now thats a huge step above what you want for very little money... £127 will get you some very nice basic's midrange setup...

that might be the case because pentium d are pretty old...and pentium dual core(like E5200 or E5700) are really different than pentium d...and i have seen some benchmarks in which E5700,3.0 GHZ is almost the same as i3 processor....
so is E5700 combined with HD 5670 GPU a good combination for decent gaming?......
June 10, 2012 3:59:19 PM

Overclocked Toaster said:
It will really depend on the game, some are very CPU dependent. Crysis 2, for example, is virtually unplayable on even decent dual cores, even with a high end GPU.

Benchmarks here: http://www.techspot.com/review/379-crysis-2-performance...

Notice how even a very fast core 2 duo will give only 24 fps when paired with the monstrous GTX 590.

(btw, CPU bottlenecks are not fixed by lowering resolution)

In other games, even a cheap dual core should give enough frame rates at lower, it really all varies wildly depending on the game. The trend is for games to be more multithreaded and utilize more cores.

So I would say if you are really interested in playing the latest games, you should get at least a cheap quad like the an athlon ii x4. Better yet, you should get an i3 or i5 sandy bridge.

That benchmark is strange.My friend played Crysis 2 on PEntium 4 3.0GHZ HT , 2gb ram and 8800gt GPU and he managed to get 50 fps average on max settings and 1280x768 resolution
October 23, 2012 2:45:35 PM

Many pentiums will upgrade to a quad such as Q6600 or Q6700 ..I upgraded a Dell 745 SFF from E4300 1.8Ghz dual to Quad core Q6700 2.66Ghz and tested highest ever for a Dell 745 at geekbench: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1111369 or http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/chart?q=model... this second chart shows about 2 thousand Dell 745 tests and the 2 highest scores are mine WOW! Add a good graphics card a used Dell HD 7570 1Gb ddr5 (installed in mine) or a low profile as NewEgg SAPPHIRE 100357LP Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP $115 and game playing bcomes no problem with 3 screen graphics... already ordered a OCZ sdd drive, will test and report again.. this machine is extremely fast and almost noiseless. Research your motherboard and web for upgrades that work game playability of processor and video card check at: http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/game_requireme... Combo suggested (Q6700, HD 7750) would play 99% games minimum reguirement and 77% recomended requierements of current games. The processor alone from 1.8Ghz dual to quad 2.66Ghz was over about a 300% increase in computing power. Most important is a good graphics card with at least 1Gb DDR5, DDR3 will just not play todays gaming.
!