New Bird Guide

I've written a Bird guide which should be up to date and more complete
than existing ones. It can be found from Klingon Kommand

www.furfur.demon.co.uk/geop/birds.doc.

All suggestions and feedback are welcome.

-Jani
33 answers Last reply
More about bird guide

    A couple comments: Posting it in doc format instead of converting it to
    html: :nono:
    Not URL manging for the Klingon Kommand :nono:

    On the small weapons for the Deth Spec, at the very least spend a few
    extra bucks for tech 3 ones. Pulsed Lasers are not improved by exotic
    small weapons shield and armor bonus, you need a tech 3+ small weapon.

    joncn...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > A couple comments: Posting it in doc format instead of converting it
    > html: :nono:
    > Not URL manging for the Klingon Kommand :nono:

    The reason it's posted in doc format is my laziness, I do have plans to
    publish a html -version too. But it certainly isn't the only guide in
    doc format around.

    > On the small weapons for the Deth Spec, at the very least spend a few
    > extra bucks for tech 3 ones. Pulsed Lasers are not improved by exotic
    > small weapons shield and armor bonus, you need a tech 3+ small
    weapon.

    Gabor Törö pretty much summarized the reason to use PLs. Few more
    reasons. The problem with DS is not the shield drain but the armor
    drain. And in that PLs are best SW unless you are willing to pay 12
    000mc per turn to maintain both SW armor exotics. With that money you
    could build 6 more DS per turn with PLs. Actually if you sim it you
    find out that it's pretty much same has DS any SWs or not, the results
    are same. So it's better keep SW as cheap as possible and when PLs
    happen to be best in armor drain which is weak point of PTTs, the PLs
    are a suberb choice.

    -Jani

    Gabor Törö wrote:
    >Well, I have never got a real proove for using other SW than PLs. I
    heard >things like tachyons could hit a soft spot from
    >distance or the unprooved side effects of the SWs on the different
    opponent's >ship systems.

    For the DS there is usually no real reason to use any other SW than
    PLs, unless the range is of the SW is over 900 (preferable without
    using ord).
    For ship designs with not such a high attack rating it can be
    different. And then it matters whom you are fighting.
    Of course a setup Stormer DS vs Bird DS needs special attention...

    >In discussions about this subject my argument is:
    >
    >Calculate H: The costs of the hull + equippment but without SW
    >Calculate S: The costs for the one used SW
    >Calculate E: The mean effect (shield/armor drain & kill/blast as the
    most >important ones) per tick of one SW at point blank with
    >all given bonuses and maluses (Exotechs, Scav x2 bonus and so on)
    >
    >An extension to factor in a given range is possible. One then could
    use a >"feeled" mean vcr distance to targets. But this is no
    >easy thing, I think...
    >
    >Let N be the number of SW slots and calculate
    >
    >CE = E / ( H/N + S ) and call it "cash efficiency"

    >The combination with the best cash efficiency is my favourite, which I
    try and >examine at first. If you look at the formula you
    >see expensive designs with a few slots could be candidates for using
    other SWs >than PL.

    Cute. And an argument that I would not use...
    Especially not in your case as you do not even know which 'unproved'
    special effects
    some small weapons have - maybe you want to look at the small weapons
    page in the online help files...
    ....and try again afterwards.

    >Do you have a proove (with "proove" also a given setup for diplomat is
    meant) >for a given situation where for example tachyons
    >should be preferred?

    No proove, but maybe a proof or maybe I can prove it.
    And with the messed up vcr it is exceptionally funny to accept a given
    diplomat setup (or general combat setup)
    as a proof for such things.

    > I suspect one have to search a long time to find good arguments for
    using >other SWs then PLs.

    Nope, did not take long. And then I did not search only recall.

    > At least if
    >one deals with small to medium sized ships.

    >Maybe I'm blind.

    Well I will not disagree with that statement...

    > Maybe Nameless' Centaurs could enlight me, but I don't think so.

    Well that are not MY Centaurs, if they were they would no longer have
    the possibility to roast amorphs...
    ....but of course that does not mean that I could not enlighten you, but
    the question would be:
    Why should I?
    And as a little hint in many cases I would only put pulsed laser on the
    Cent ships, when fighting Cents with small weapons
    I would use different ones. Of course weapons like the Streak Missles
    (only Shah for Cents) and the Tachyon Guns are an option...
    But I will stop here before I am going into unnecessary details...

    >The money spent for a tachyon battery could be used to build some more
    wings or >more small dirty cheep ships with flake cannons
    >to improve a fighter screen for example.

    What are cheep ships? Did you mean sheep ships or cheap ships.
    I know you meant the former.
    And I would rarely put flake cannons on a Cent ship which is not a
    Shah.

    "Sabotage Ships" targets *all* enemy ships? Or a single random ship?

    What is the formula?

    What are the odds of each ship being effected?

    Damage is equal to a Barbitic minehit?

    <joncnunn@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1115658890.639037.91970@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > A couple comments: Posting it in doc format instead of converting it to
    > html: :nono:
    > Not URL manging for the Klingon Kommand :nono:
    >
    > On the small weapons for the Deth Spec, at the very least spend a few
    > extra bucks for tech 3 ones. Pulsed Lasers are not improved by exotic
    > small weapons shield and armor bonus, you need a tech 3+ small weapon.

    Well, I have never got a real proove for using other SW than PLs. I heard things like tachyons could hit a soft spot from
    distance or the unprooved side effects of the SWs on the different opponent's ship systems.

    In discussions about this subject my argument is:

    Calculate H: The costs of the hull + equippment but without SW
    Calculate S: The costs for the one used SW
    Calculate E: The mean effect (shield/armor drain & kill/blast as the most important ones) per tick of one SW at point blank with
    all given bonuses and maluses (Exotechs, Scav x2 bonus and so on)

    An extension to factor in a given range is possible. One then could use a "feeled" mean vcr distance to targets. But this is no
    easy thing, I think...

    Let N be the number of SW slots and calculate

    CE = E / ( H/N + S ) and call it "cash efficiency"

    The combination with the best cash efficiency is my favourite, which I try and examine at first. If you look at the formula you
    see expensive designs with a few slots could be candidates for using other SWs than PL.

    Do you have a proove (with "proove" also a given setup for diplomat is meant) for a given situation where for example tachyons
    should be preferred? I suspect one have to search a long time to find good arguments for using other SWs then PLs. At least if
    one deals with small to medium sized ships. Maybe I'm blind. Maybe Nameless' Centaurs could enlight me, but I don't think so.

    The money spent for a tachyon battery could be used to build some more wings or more small dirty cheep ships with flake cannons
    to improve a fighter screen for example.

    GFM GToeroe

    Amaranthine schrieb:
    > "Sabotage Ships" targets *all* enemy ships? Or a single random ship?
    >
    > What is the formula?

    All.

    Bye-Bye JoSch.

    >...but of course that does not mean that I could not enlighten you,
    but
    >the question would be:
    >Why should I?

    You should probably keep your precious secrets... they seemed to do you
    Sooooo well when you played your 'unstoppable' Cents against skilled
    players.

    david_ba...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >...but of course that does not mean that I could not enlighten you,
    > but
    > >the question would be:
    > >Why should I?
    >
    > You should probably keep your precious secrets... they seemed to do
    you
    > Sooooo well when you played your 'unstoppable' Cents against skilled
    > players.

    First of all let us draw a few conclusions from your statement, might
    it be that you are actually saying that people like Maximilian Liao are
    not skilled players... I have no problem with such a statement, but
    maybe...
    I really like it if people underestimate me - it makes some things so
    much easier.

    And just for your info, I did turn down an alliance proposal from the
    Lizards very early in the game you are refering to, why well ask
    Lordfire (and that was before a certain turn). Also you can search in
    this ng for a certain money making ability not used in that game,
    eventhough I hinted at it both in emails and on this ng) and the effect
    it could have had on that game...
    Or that I choose to let me slaughtered and not having no chance but
    getting...
    Iff (since you probably do not know this means 'if and only if') I had
    wanted to the result would have been much different then the actual
    outcome of the game.

    And last but not least to the term 'unstoppable', well you probably
    still do
    no understand as to why I did make a few very clear statements before
    that game start.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Amaranthine schrieb:
    > What are the odds of each ship being effected?
    >
    > Damage is equal to a Barbitic minehit?

    As the minehit damge should be changed "Changed: Minefield power
    increased, they do more damage when you hit them." (how much do it make
    now ? ) I don't know the actual compare.

    In the past it could destroy a ship up to 100 KT hull mass, but the
    damage you made vari much. One factor for the damage seems to be the
    dark power.

    Not much written about the spy actions and the factors which influence
    them. Maybe the old one from Clausimus site
    http://www.saarlandoutpost.com/clausimu is up to date. Look there under
    Host Chabges + FAQ under Mis../Spying or look at Tims Online help.

    I'm interested in a good doc about it too. So please post if you find one.

    Bye-Bye JoSch.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Two Annis both with plasma bolts and intercepts one with xenons the other with mesons both with attack dangerous and strike
    through met each other in the center and decided at tick 390 with almost intact shield to end the fight.

    Tim, is that intended to be?!

    GFM GToeroe
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    'Iff (since you probably do not know this means 'if and only if') I had

    wanted to the result would have been much different then the actual
    outcome of the game.'

    I'm sure that's the reason...

    Not everyone is as big a fool as you think they are, or you are, as the
    case may be.

    Your words cannot mask your incompetence, they only prove them.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    "Nameless" <unknown_ai@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1115675781.164346.159460@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

    >Cute. And an argument that I would not use...
    >Especially not in your case as you do not even know which 'unproved'
    >special effects
    >some small weapons have - maybe you want to look at the small weapons
    >page in the online help files...
    >...and try again afterwards.

    That's why I stated this here. Do you think that I'm not curious enough to find a way apart from common sense.
    All my diplomat sims say that using L to block PL, positron to block SMs, xenon to block PD, meson& plasma guns to block LW is
    almost useless.

    If you have other experiences then tell me. IMHO, the side effects are too wek for becoming important in standard situations (not
    such as trying to overwhelm the evasive bonuses of Centaur ships).

    I mean it isn't war deciding if you rely only on PLs or not in general.

    >...but of course that does not mean that I could not enlighten you, but
    >the question would be:
    >Why should I?

    Getting a entrance for heaven?

    GFM GToeroe
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    gray_Z@yahoo.com wrote:
    > joncn...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >>A couple comments: Posting it in doc format instead of converting it

    >>html: :nono:
    >>Not URL manging for the Klingon Kommand :nono:
    >

    > The reason it's posted in doc format is my laziness, I do have plans to
    > publish a html -version too. But it certainly isn't the only guide in
    > doc format around.

    Well at least you are honest. Lazy but honest.

    But look. How about "save as HTML", then run the result through a
    cleanup tool. Like de-moronizer. Go on. You know we want you to.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Just to get this back on track.

    I've just finished playing the birds. Got into a war against the
    Stormers and Borg - although I had allies which were taking on most of
    their forces.

    I found that cloak was worse than useless because it made me feel like
    I was hidden when they could nearly always see me.

    I don't know what the likelihood of seeing a ships with zero sensor
    noise is, but for this calculation I'm going to assume 1%.

    If you have 10 ships in a fleet, and they have 20 ships that have
    sensor coverage over that fleet, then that gives them 200 chances to
    spot a ship. At 1% hit rate, they will see 2 of your ships (on
    average).

    Attack and the odds get even worse as then there is planetary scanners
    and the home guard ships to increase the shots at seeing you.
    Furthermore get into a single battle, and then they can hit you the
    next turn.

    Cloak has to be used very selectively. Just one or two ships, in out
    of the way places. If they can see heaps of your ships, then they
    won't worry about the ones they can't see, and that has to be your main
    weapon.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    david_ba...@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Not everyone is as big a fool as you think they are, or you are, as
    the
    > case may be.

    So what a big fool do I think you are?

    > Your words cannot mask your incompetence, they only prove them.

    Funny, is it not, that you said in another post that I did already
    prove something.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I *think* 0 sensor image means 0% visibility. Anything more (the 5
    from the Robot Q Tanker) is supposedly much less useful. I'm not
    really convinced of that though, as I have a few ships that should have
    long since been taken out or captured if they were visible.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Definitely not. I'll need my enemies to confirm, but if I sent a fleet
    of cloaked ships out, he knew where they were.

    It didn't help that he was the stormer and apparently had about 20 Cold
    Class cruisers covering my space. And the Borg probably added another
    10 ships or so covering my space.

    Admittedly it was a small map. My entire empire was only about 200ly
    by 100 ly, but assuming you can't be seen is wrong.

    Also make a note in the cloaking section that if you give order to your
    ships to transport, they are 100% visible in the next turn the
    opposition sees. So you have to build a ship. Next turn transport up
    what you want. Next turn head out cloaked in the direction you want.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Mantzikert schrieb:
    > Definitely not. I'll need my enemies to confirm, but if I sent a fleet
    > of cloaked ships out, he knew where they were.
    >
    > It didn't help that he was the stormer and apparently had about 20 Cold
    > Class cruisers covering my space. And the Borg probably added another
    > 10 ships or so covering my space.
    >
    > Admittedly it was a small map. My entire empire was only about 200ly
    > by 100 ly, but assuming you can't be seen is wrong.
    >
    > Also make a note in the cloaking section that if you give order to your
    > ships to transport, they are 100% visible in the next turn the
    > opposition sees. So you have to build a ship. Next turn transport up
    > what you want. Next turn head out cloaked in the direction you want.

    In Tims doc files are written that Transporter make sensor noise, so
    increase the sensor image, so no wonder that the enemy can see you.

    But as FAIK the transporter make only sensor noise if you transport
    something to objects where you are not the owner, beaming to own Bases
    or ships make no sensor noise.

    Bye-Bye JoSch.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    nospam wrote:
    > In Tims doc files are written that Transporter make sensor noise, so
    > increase the sensor image, so no wonder that the enemy can see you.
    >
    > But as FAIK the transporter make only sensor noise if you transport
    > something to objects where you are not the owner, beaming to own
    Bases
    > or ships make no sensor noise.
    >
    > Bye-Bye JoSch.

    And as a little addition, there might be a chance (maybe 1%) that
    cloaking does fail, at least that was the believe of a few persons on
    the newsgroup in ancient times...
    Although it got never verified.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    david_bandy@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >...but of course that does not mean that I could not enlighten you,
    > but
    > >the question would be:
    > >Why should I?
    >
    > You should probably keep your precious secrets... they seemed to do
    you
    > Sooooo well when you played your 'unstoppable' Cents against skilled
    > players.

    That's pretty funny Dave. Haha.

    In this game, any of the skilled players (don't worry, I don't put
    myself in that ranking) can win in any game.
    Some conditions affect things (contra, where starting base is in
    relation, natives, etc.). Anyway, sorry to stray away from the
    subject.

    Thanks for the guide.

    Take care,

    Mike (febemike)
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    "Nameless" <unknown_ai@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1115908274.508316.103080@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

    > And as a little addition, there might be a chance (maybe 1%) that
    > cloaking does fail, at least that was the believe of a few persons on
    > the newsgroup in ancient times...
    > Although it got never verified.

    I rember a sim where over ten turns 100 Outrider weren't able to detect 100 Deth Specs at disctance of 7 lj.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Gabor Törö wrote:
    > "Nameless" <unknown_ai@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >

    > > And as a little addition, there might be a chance (maybe 1%) that
    > > cloaking does fail, at least that was the believe of a few persons
    on
    > > the newsgroup in ancient times...
    > > Although it got never verified.
    >
    > I rember a sim where over ten turns 100 Outrider weren't able to
    detect 100 Deth Specs at disctance of 7 lj.

    Well, I played the borg against the Manzikert's Bird empire and the
    borg and stormer ally could see what ended up being around about 15-75%
    of the bird's ships every turn. Manzikert did make a lot of noise at
    one point and looked into the formula's of cloaking. He did change the
    method, ensuring no transporting etc but it didn't make any difference,
    we were able to see where his major fleets were and intercepted them
    and killed them. We found about 15 dethspec's easily boarded and took
    out each darkwing.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Wow, I assumed you could see 10-20% of my fleet, but I didn't realise
    it was that bad.

    When the Lizard player was making a lot of complaints earlier in the
    game, we just thought he was being melodramatic, but does cloaking
    still work?
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    It was host 193 I used.
    100 Outriders nearby (7 lj) 100 Deth Specs. Ten turns. None of the Outriders ever detected any Deth Spec.
    Of course theses Deth Specs haven't move. They only stayed at one point and did nothing.

    GFM GToeroe

    <ross.mckinnon@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1116210960.090100.75380@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

    Gabor Törö wrote:
    > "Nameless" <unknown_ai@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >

    > > And as a little addition, there might be a chance (maybe 1%) that
    > > cloaking does fail, at least that was the believe of a few persons
    on
    > > the newsgroup in ancient times...
    > > Although it got never verified.
    >
    > I rember a sim where over ten turns 100 Outrider weren't able to
    detect 100 Deth Specs at disctance of 7 lj.

    Well, I played the borg against the Manzikert's Bird empire and the
    borg and stormer ally could see what ended up being around about 15-75%
    of the bird's ships every turn. Manzikert did make a lot of noise at
    one point and looked into the formula's of cloaking. He did change the
    method, ensuring no transporting etc but it didn't make any difference,
    we were able to see where his major fleets were and intercepted them
    and killed them. We found about 15 dethspec's easily boarded and took
    out each darkwing.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Gabor Törö schrieb:
    > It was host 193 I used.
    > 100 Outriders nearby (7 lj) 100 Deth Specs. Ten turns. None of the Outriders ever detected any Deth Spec.
    > Of course theses Deth Specs haven't move. They only stayed at one point and did nothing.
    >
    > GFM GToeroe

    Owner race of the Deth Specs (Birds or Stormer) ?
    Owner race of the Outriders ?
    Tested with some scanner ET ?

    Bye-Bye JoSch.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Gabor Törö wrote:
    > It was host 193 I used.
    > 100 Outriders nearby (7 lj) 100 Deth Specs. Ten turns. None of the
    Outriders
    > ever detected any Deth Spec.
    > Of course theses Deth Specs haven't move. They only stayed at one
    point and
    > did nothing.
    >
    > GFM GToeroe

    Well since you did study physics, you should probably notice from just
    viewing your own post (quoted above) what it does prove and what it
    obviously does not prove.

    As it is it just proves that under the exact conditions of your tests,
    that is under the assumption that nothing has changed concerning it,
    the cloaking ships cloak does not fail. Nothing more and nothing less.

    A real proof would either need all the source code which is in any way
    connected to cloaking and scanning or an extensive test of all possible
    settings or a verification that this simple test is enough... As it is
    none of it has been done.

    And also a perfect test for 'real game' situations where nearly always
    all ships are not moving etc. (and you probably recall that you did not
    forget to turn on the scanners of the Outriders).

    And then while not entirely connected to the above: In former times
    when a ship did not have enough fuel to cloak before any transport did
    happen was not cloaked that turn.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Well you are assuming that the code is otherwise correct.
    I am not.
    And then if there would be a failure rate of cloaking - I would try to
    have Tim change that, because...
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    The goal is to prepare an experiment in a way that the set family of the events of the condition and decision are small enough to
    formulate a probability of transition. This becomes easier the smaller the set family of the sets of the condition is.

    And if I understand you right you rely with

    "...And as a little addition, there might be a chance (maybe 1%) that
    cloaking does fail, at least that was the believe of a few persons on
    the newsgroup in ancient times...
    Although it got never verified..."

    on an inherently built in failure of the cloaking process itself which is independent from all external conditions as sensor
    noise, device noise, tachyon emitters, speed, laser minefields, control damage, and so on.

    So it is natural to start with the cloaking process itself and proove wether it has a failure rate on its own or not. First if
    this is decided one have a chance to decide the influence of other sources because it is very difficult or impossible to resolve
    the mixed failure sources in a finite time.

    And only this was the goal of my sims. And in addtion I even omit a statement about what the results of my sim proove and what
    not.

    So I really do not understand why and what your are trying to reproach.

    GFM GToeroe

    "Nameless" <unknown_ai@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1116343863.640669.69330@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    Gabor Törö wrote:
    > It was host 193 I used.
    > 100 Outriders nearby (7 lj) 100 Deth Specs. Ten turns. None of the
    Outriders
    > ever detected any Deth Spec.
    > Of course theses Deth Specs haven't move. They only stayed at one
    point and
    > did nothing.
    >
    > GFM GToeroe

    Well since you did study physics, you should probably notice from just
    viewing your own post (quoted above) what it does prove and what it
    obviously does not prove.

    As it is it just proves that under the exact conditions of your tests,
    that is under the assumption that nothing has changed concerning it,
    the cloaking ships cloak does not fail. Nothing more and nothing less.

    A real proof would either need all the source code which is in any way
    connected to cloaking and scanning or an extensive test of all possible
    settings or a verification that this simple test is enough... As it is
    none of it has been done.

    And also a perfect test for 'real game' situations where nearly always
    all ships are not moving etc. (and you probably recall that you did not
    forget to turn on the scanners of the Outriders).

    And then while not entirely connected to the above: In former times
    when a ship did not have enough fuel to cloak before any transport did
    happen was not cloaked that turn.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Fed versus Bird, no ETs.

    ETs should really make no difference as 100 Outriders in a distacne of 7 lj should detect any micron of sensor noise, though I
    have not calculated it I expect that the chances of detecting are almost one even for the lowest possible levels of noise objects
    could produce.

    Of course there is the chance that the code of the cloaking process itself chokes on an incredible amount of nearby scanner
    power, throws up what then the captains of the Outrider smell...

    GFM GToeroe

    "nospam" <j_schwarze_@freenet.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4288b126$0$11036$9b622d9e@news.freenet.de...
    > Gabor Törö schrieb:
    > > It was host 193 I used.
    > > 100 Outriders nearby (7 lj) 100 Deth Specs. Ten turns. None of the Outriders ever detected any Deth Spec.
    > > Of course theses Deth Specs haven't move. They only stayed at one point and did nothing.
    > >
    > > GFM GToeroe
    >
    > Owner race of the Deth Specs (Birds or Stormer) ?
    > Owner race of the Outriders ?
    > Tested with some scanner ET ?
    >
    > Bye-Bye JoSch.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    To my mind if you were to have a cloaking failure rate it should be
    split into 2 parts.
    1) A 1% chance of a ship failing in any given turn. It doesn't matter
    how many ships were scanning over it.
    2) A 0.01% chance of a ships which scans over the cloaked ship of
    seeing the ship - even if the cloaking didn't fail. This would result
    in a failure rate of 1 in 10,000. So 500 scanners searching for 20
    raiders would have a good chance of seeing one ship. That seems fair
    to me.

    Perhaps the numbers could be a little lower.

    How the current cloaking works. I don't know. I just know that I
    shouldn't have wasted the fuel trying to cloak in the last game.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Chris wrote:
    > There is a known ally-bug involving the sharing of contact information which
    > allows you to see an unallied race's ships as unknown contacts at any
    > distance.
    >
    > In a game i recently hosted, Borg and Scavs allied and could see robotic
    > ships at a distance of nearly 3000 lys. That game was zipped up and sent to
    > Tim for debugging.

    I can tell you from tests from 2003, that at that time all non-neutral
    scan data got shared, if their was only a connection from race A to B
    in the directed graph G=(V,E), with V donating the races and E donating
    the scan data sharing (from A to B). And it did not matter whether this
    data was an unkown contact or not, host program did just filter out all
    neutral scan data (making it quiet easy to realize which objects were
    WHs and the like). And BTW at that time base and ship data one race (A)
    did get from the other (B) was considered contact data for the first
    race
    (A).

    Now, you probably wonder what this might have to do with it.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Gabor Törö wrote:
    > "Nameless" <unknown_ai@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >

    > > And as a little addition, there might be a chance (maybe 1%) that
    > > cloaking does fail, at least that was the believe of a few persons
    on
    > > the newsgroup in ancient times...
    > > Although it got never verified.
    >
    > I rember a sim where over ten turns 100 Outrider weren't able to
    detect 100 Deth Specs at disctance of 7 lj.

    Well, I played the borg against the Manzikert's Bird empire and the
    borg and stormer ally could see what ended up being around about 15-75%
    of the bird's ships every turn. Manzikert did make a lot of noise at
    one point and looked into the formula's of cloaking. He did change the
    method, ensuring no transporting etc but it didn't make any difference,
    we were able to see where his major fleets were and intercepted them
    and killed them. We found about 15 dethspec's easily boarded and took
    out each darkwing.

Games Video Games