Qustions about a Toshiba M35X S3112

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 27, 2005 11:53:55 PM

Greetings,

I saw a Toshiba M35X S3112 at the discount retailer Costco. I would like to
know if any one is familiar with the Toshiba M35X series. Or is any one has
some experience with the M35X S311 models. What are some of the good
attributes of this configuration? What are some of the negatives?

Please, any comments and help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Leigh
March 28, 2005 12:55:31 AM

Miss Leigh <lgh@cts.com> wrote:
: Greetings,

: I saw a Toshiba M35X S3112 at the discount retailer Costco. I would like to
: know if any one is familiar with the Toshiba M35X series. Or is any one has
: some experience with the M35X S311 models. What are some of the good
: attributes of this configuration? What are some of the negatives?

I bought my last Toshiba laptop at Costco two years ago, when the
Centrino models had just come out, and I decided the technology was
still too new. So I bought a budget laptop there which I've been very
happy with. The 6-month no-questions-asked Costco return policy on
computers is unbeatable.

Two years later, I need a new battery and a bigger hard drive, and I'm
thinking instead of just buying a new laptop. Glad to hear Costco
finally has a Toshiba Pentium M laptop again - they haven't for a
while.

Anyway...from the specs

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=110353...*1674*1675*

I'd say this one looks pretty good. The Pentium M 1.8GHZ should be
very speedy indeed. I do wish the hard drive was not the slow 4200
RPM, but that probably saves some battery. And I don't like the
shared video memory, but these days I don't think it's a big issue
unless you are playing high-speed games or need super-fast graphics
(most people don't). Shared video does steal some of your main system
memory. The specs say that both memory slots could be occupied, which
would be a shame - I would probably bump this one up to 1GB of RAM
because up to 64MB gets stolen for video.

The integrated memory stick/smart media reader is useless to me
because I have Compact Flash, and I would rather not have it wasting
space on the computer.

Did you know you can get a Dell 600m from Costco.com for the same
price? And even though you must order it online, it has the same
Costco 6-month return policy if you buy via Costco.com? Check this
out:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=110316...*4338*

They have the same CPU and hard drive size (not sure if the Dell hard
drive is 4200 RPM or not). Here are some pros and cons after a quick
comparison:

Dell Pros
- Windows XP Pro (most people don't care, I would like it)
- 1GB Ethernet (most people don't care, I might use it once in a blue
moon)
- 8X DVD burner, Toshiba is only 4X.
- Dell is lighter (5.3 lbs vs. 6.6lbs)
- Dell has a old 9-pin serial port (something I might use
occasionally)
- Faster video card (I think, and it's probably not integrated RAM)
- Better Intel wireless card (802.11a/b/g)
- Infrared port
- Modular bay (2nd battery or 2nd drive)
- 3-year Dell Warranty vs. 1-year for Toshiba

Dell Cons
- Smaller screen (14.1" vs. 15.4" Toshiba)
- Only 2 USB ports
- No Firewire port

I'm not sure about battery life - Toshiba is spec'ed at four hours...

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----