Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New build with Asus F1A75M-PRO

Last response: in Motherboards
January 24, 2012 4:23:38 AM

Hello all,

I have put together a new build with an Asus F1A75M-PRO motherboard, AMD A4 3400 CPU, and 8 GB of Patriot DDR3 RAM. Everything appears to be connected properly with one possible exception, but the system will not power on.

The one possible exception is that my power supply has a 24 pin main power connector and a 4 pin 12V power connector. The motherboard has an 8 pin connector, but claims that you can use a 4 pin connector with it. Since everything else appears to be fine, and this power supply was working just fine earlier connected to a different motherboard, I don't believe this is a problem with the power supply. The mobo, RAM, and CPU are all brand new, so I tend to not think these are likely to be the issue either.

I currently only have the CPU, and a single stick of RAM in the system, but it still refuses to power up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

More about : build asus f1a75m pro

January 24, 2012 10:53:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestion; I will definitely try that when I get back to the system this evening. I don't have quite the right equipment to do the full setup that you have there, but I can certainly build the stuff outside of the case in a similar manner to test it out! My biggest problem is that this particular case has no case speaker, so I cannot tell what audio return codes the mobo might be trying to give me (if any, since nothing is spinning up).
Score
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 11:31:57 PM

Oh didn't know about the no case speaker part. Well, hopefully nothing in your case is shorting your system, which is something the breadboarding should account for. I would suggest to check that nothing is shorting on your motherboard standoffs as well and to make sure everything is seated properly (RAM, also check for no bent pins on CPU,etc).

I guess now would be a good time to link this helpful guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
Score
January 25, 2012 3:44:09 AM

hpdeskjet said:
Oh didn't know about the no case speaker part. Well, hopefully nothing in your case is shorting your system, which is something the breadboarding should account for. I would suggest to check that nothing is shorting on your motherboard standoffs as well and to make sure everything is seated properly (RAM, also check for no bent pins on CPU,etc).

I guess now would be a good time to link this helpful guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

I really appreciate the replies here, especially since I have yet to hear back from Asus on the support request I sent them. I tried breadboarding the system, and still can't get power to turn on. I've tried disconnecting everything except for the CPU and fan, the power switch from the case, and the PSU (24 pin and 4 pin 12v). My concern here is that somehow my PSU is not compatible with my mobo somehow. The PSU is slightly older, but still a 550W unit.

So in addition to the components listed below, I'm using an Antec TruePower 2.0 550W PSU (TPII-550). I'm really at a loss and am trying to avoid having to spend the ~$70 to take it to a local PC shop to try and look it over. I'm game for any other suggestions you might be able to come up with!
Score
January 25, 2012 5:03:10 AM

I just want to add a quick note here after speaking with one of my colleagues. I tested the PSU, and verified that it is working. I connected the PSU up to the mobo with just the CPU and fan attached, and got it to power up! Twice, even. Once by bridging the pins on the mobo manually with a ball point pen, and then once with the power switch from the case. However, after installing the RAM modules, things turned south again, and even going back and recreating the exact same setup as before, the system now refuses to power up again. I'm going to be calling ASUS tomorrow to see if they can provide any more assistance, because this just has me completely baffled.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2012 5:33:48 AM

About the PSU, when you tested it earlier, did you use it on a system and get into Windows (i.e normal operation) or was it in a breadboard manner? If it ran a complete system normally, I would probably discount the PSU as the culprit.

Also, could you borrow a friend's PSU of same power with a 8-pin connector to test on the mobo? Your current setup shouldn't take much power to run, and the Antec should be plenty for your system if it isn't on its way out.

If your PSU checks out, that would probably just leave the mobo and you could probably just RMA it without having to spend money at a local shop. I trust ASUS for their quality but it's very possible that you got a lemon. I don't want speculate too much but maybe the RAM or RAM slots on the mobo could be defective.

It's usually very unlikely that the CPU is bad but there's always a remote possibility. As for the RAM, just checking to make sure you've tried all combinations of RAM/slots.
Score
January 26, 2012 1:03:15 AM

So the situation continues to get more and more strange, and after a conversation with ASUS earlier today, they suggested different RAM. Here is the latest addition to the saga:

1. Clear the CMOS
2. Able to power up the system, yay!
3. Power system down and plug in a couple more things (like the PSU fan to the mobo)
4. System fails to power up
5. Clear CMOS again
6. System powers up again!

And that's where we sit. After powering the system off, whether I do anything to it or not, it will not power back up. Additionally, I just tried pulling the RAM out entirely (knowing we won't even get to POST), and confirmed that I can power the system on and get fan spin up every time.

The RAM I purchased is this set from Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What I did not notice at the time was the following info in the description:
"... which is specifically designed for the second Intel Core processor & Intel 6 series platform."

I have never heard of RAM being designed for one platform vs. another, but if this is true, it might be part of my problems with my AMD A4 system here. Thoughts?
Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 1:11:34 AM

Yeah I've heard of this before. Most of the time it is usually best to check the mobo's manufacturer website for the qualified vendors list for RAM. This is RAM they test on their boards to ensure compatibility. Maybe a quick RAM switch will fix this problem after all.
January 26, 2012 2:49:56 AM

Best answer selected by manthas.
Score
January 26, 2012 2:53:53 AM

I may have picked the best answer too soon; I did a quick run up to Fry's and purchased one of the specific kits on the compatibility list from ASUS, it powered on the first time, and is now back to doing the same thing. Going to do some further testing tonight and tomorrow.

I'm really regretting purchasing another ASUS mobo, honestly. I had RAM issues with my last ASUS board, and it appears I'm going to have them again with this one.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 5:52:26 AM

It might be time to just RMA the board =/
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 3:19:11 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!