I5 2500K Stock Fan not working

Halfie

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hey guys,

Just built a new system. I'm breadboarding it at the moment, and it boots fine but the stock fan/heatsink that came with my i5-2500k isn't spinning. On first boot, it simply said "CPU fan error!" and continued to bios. I checked the temp and it was steadily rising, I shut down at 90 degrees C. I left it and tried it again after making sure to fasten the fan completely, and the same problem occurred along with a nice "CPU Overheat Warning!". Is my fan DoA, or could it simply be something with the pushpin connection? Should I try another CPU_fan power slot on the motherboard?

Thanks in advance

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Yes, try another CPU fan port. I'd highly recommend just tossing the Intel cooler in the trash and getting something like a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ for $30 ($25 at Micro Center) especially if you plan on overclocking

But until you resolve the problem, don't run it

Halfie

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
2 Questions:

I should still turn it on to check if the cpu_fan slot works, and if it doesn't immediately shut down right?

I've got 2 Ripjaws RAM sticks along with a 560 GTX in a cooler master 912 HAF. I've heard people have had trouble fitting a 212+ in with the Ripjaws sticks, will it work or should I try a water cooling solution?