Sign in with
Your question

Would an intergrated graphic card with more RAM suffice?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 20, 2010 7:59:55 PM

Hello:

I am wondering whether adding more RAM to a laptop with Intel HD intergrated video card would give me a similar performance as a discrete/non-intergrated video card? E.g. ATI 512 MB versions. I am choosing between 2 computers, one with an intergrated video card and the second with an ATI Raedon 512 MB card (but is $100 more expensive). I am looking for a laptop I can still use 4-5 years from now and run games at lowest resolution then. As well, the primary focus would be for word processing and watching low resolution videos.

The rest of the specs are below:
Intel i5 processor (should I get an AMD one instead? Or a i3? [i-3 370))
4GB of RAM (I am thinking of upgrading to the 8GB of RAM that is the max for the laptop)
5200 rpm harddrive

I would love to hear the expert opinions on this one!

Thank you very much!
Will

EDIT: ATI Raedon 4570 is the discrete graphic card's name, and the processors are both i5-450.
a c 196 U Graphics card
December 20, 2010 8:07:50 PM

Need wayyy more information about the second one, ATI 512MB card doesnt narrow it down at all, there are dozens of ATI cards with 512MB of ram, is it a 5670? 5870? 4670? 4870? There are sooo many options.

And its unlikely that an Intel IGP will come anywhere near any discrete card that you can get for a laptop, IGPs are very weak no matter which ones you are looking at.
m
l
December 20, 2010 8:17:49 PM

hunter315 said:
Need wayyy more information about the second one, ATI 512MB card doesnt narrow it down at all, there are dozens of ATI cards with 512MB of ram, is it a 5670? 5870? 4670? 4870? There are sooo many options.

And its unlikely that an Intel IGP will come anywhere near any discrete card that you can get for a laptop, IGPs are very weak no matter which ones you are looking at.

My apologies. It is an ATI Raedon 4570. As well, the processors are both i5-450s. Would adding more RAM make up for having an intergrated memory card? As well, if I am only concerned about word processing (heavy) and opening many pages in Firefox at once, would intergrated vs discrete graphic card make a difference?

Thank you!
m
l
!