htpok69

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I apologize if this is the wrong location for this post.

I haven't built a new system in few years, but I decided to build a HTPC and have been slowly amassing the parts because I wasn't in any hurry. I recently purchased a AMD x4 Phenom II 955 from tigerdirect but was rather confused when I received it. Like I said I haven't built a system in a while so I'm not sure if this is normal but:

1) The CPU arrived with paper wrapped around for protection in the box -- it didn't feel like it was that much paper though to provided adequate protection and/or cushioning.
2) The box top of the cpu box was cut with something sharp so that it popped open as soon as I touched it. This is opposite location from the x4 955 sticker that one would normally cut to open the box. I checked some unboxing video's on youtube to confirm this as well.
3) The CPU has the same PN and SN as the box sticker.
4) The CPU seems to some faint scuff marks - not very large on it.

I'm concerned that the cpu is somehow damaged. Are CPU's this usually packaged this casually? I don't have my Mobo or case yet so I can't really test it. I was planning on ordering the mobo and case soon, but unfortunately I'll be traveling; and I won't be able to put the system together for about two weeks.

Am I being overly paranoid?

If you want to see pics I can upload them somewhere.

Thanks

Solution
It's unfortunate that corners are cut to save cost presumably, but from what I can tell, chip should be fine. They aren't as sensitive as HDDs and the like so a bump or two shouldn't harm it. As long as the CPU itself was in a protective sealed plastic container with a cushion for the pins - and as long as none of the pins are bent, I wouldn't fret over it. This is however, one of the reasons I don't recommend buying parts separately. You aren't able to test any of them until you have the last one, at which point it may be too late to return some of them.

jbakerlent

Distinguished
It's unfortunate that corners are cut to save cost presumably, but from what I can tell, chip should be fine. They aren't as sensitive as HDDs and the like so a bump or two shouldn't harm it. As long as the CPU itself was in a protective sealed plastic container with a cushion for the pins - and as long as none of the pins are bent, I wouldn't fret over it. This is however, one of the reasons I don't recommend buying parts separately. You aren't able to test any of them until you have the last one, at which point it may be too late to return some of them.

Solution

htpok69

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I should have mentioned that I did look at the pins and they seemed to be alright. As far as I can tell it's a retail box. The window on the side to see the CPU and the holograph on the right hand side.

I guess I'll just have to order the remaining piece's and try it out.

Thanks