Sign in with
Your question

Help with Config

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2011 6:25:21 PM

Hey Guys, this is my first custom build.

I do alot of high end graphics and video but need a system for at home and games

My current build/ list of components is

G.Skill Ripjaws 12gb (3x4) 1600mhz
I7 2600K which i hope to OC to 5Ghz
NHD14
120 OCZ SSD
2x 1tb 7200 Seagate barracudas
1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold PSU
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7
Silverstone Fortress FT02B Black
Bluray RD/WR
2x MSI GTX570's SLI

Is my current set all good to go, or is there anyway i can save money ie. Change 1000w psu to 850? Is that ram speed overkill?
Also, its hard to sort of guess without having the chip but what are the chances of hitting 5ghz on a retail chip?

Thanks guys.

More about : config

February 22, 2011 6:57:44 PM

I am fairly new to upgrading, but from what i have read (if I read it right) a mobo thats setup for dual channel ram gets better performance from having 2 dimm's installed rather than 1, 3, or 4 also are you planning heavy multitasking? could drop down to 8 or even 4 gb ram if not.

I dont have any experience OC'ing but I can tell you if you hit your goal of 5 Ghz your going to need a minimum of around 850W PSU according to the psu calc
February 22, 2011 7:29:44 PM

Correct, you'll need to buy RAM in multiples of 2 because the Sandy Bridge CPUs run RAM in dual channel mode. I would advise getting 8GB of RAM given current prices.

Also, an 850W PSU would be good enough for your needs. 1000W is overkill. Some high quality 850W PSUs include the Corsair 850HX, XFX 850W Black Edition, and Corsair CP850, although that last PSU only fits certain cases.

From what I've heard a 4.5GHz overclock is quite likely, but your odds start dropping off fairly quickly the closer you get to 5GHz. It's still pretty do able, but you have to start upping the voltage a fair amount to get to 5GHz. Other people who have firsthand experience with SB CPUs can give more insight.

What resolution monitor are you planning on running?
Related resources
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2011 7:43:45 PM

You don't need a noctua. Hyper 212+ is a great cooler that's cheap to save you some money. The Hyper 212+ can get the 2500K/2600K up to 5ghz easy. Check out my guide for more insight. I don't think you need that board since you could save some cash going with the Extreme4 which has been known to OC SBs cpus up to 5.1ghz w/ BIOS revision.

The 850w is good enough, 1000w would be like 580 SLI.

February 23, 2011 10:22:25 AM

Get a quality psu, which to me means buy a corsair. Make sure to get a good cpu cooler, which also means don't get a water cooled block with that in mind Check out the proglimeans rev. b, I just installed today and have my I7 920 @ 4.3 stable without going over 70 degrees. Just don't go cheap you'll regret later trust me on that. For a gpu I would check our a raedon 6870, you can get two of them for 400$ with rebates which is really awesome. Good luck.
March 2, 2011 1:16:32 AM

residentdean said:
Get a quality psu, which to me means buy a corsair. Make sure to get a good cpu cooler, which also means don't get a water cooled block with that in mind Check out the proglimeans rev. b, I just installed today and have my I7 920 @ 4.3 stable without going over 70 degrees. Just don't go cheap you'll regret later trust me on that. For a gpu I would check our a raedon 6870, you can get two of them for 400$ with rebates which is really awesome. Good luck.

Raedons are useless as they dont have CUDA so gain no speed when rendering, i bought 16gb ram and before anyone flips out about why i need so much i fill up 24gb at work in minutes with nuke and heavy scenes in maya. Im getting the noctua as its the best cooler from what Ive seen and sure you can get ok temps with other coolers but if you can go lower why not? Id rather have a +$50 cooler than buy a new CPU.
March 2, 2011 1:18:58 AM

Quote:
Hi,
Matakus
i have just gone through your problem, first check the RAM, was it fixed properly or not ? in case of you are fixed single RAM. If in case you are fixed two RAMS means, fix those RAMs in 1&3 or 2&4 slots not in 1&2 and 3&4.
More than that problem was not solved, i suggest to visit computer sevrvice center

wtf are you on about??
March 2, 2011 2:17:42 AM

Hey nvidia fan boy calm down! For what he's going to be doing the raedon's are cool. I just sold my power abusing gtx 470 and got dual 6870's and they beast on that card. Also for $400 they take out a gtx 580.
March 2, 2011 4:37:43 AM

residentdean said:
Hey nvidia fan boy calm down! For what he's going to be doing the raedon's are cool. I just sold my power abusing gtx 470 and got dual 6870's and they beast on that card. Also for $400 they take out a gtx 580.

hate to tell ya bro most 3D apps like maya etc dont work half as good with raedon cards, they need cuda cores which helps the speed in rendering, fact. Dont ask me why the industry is doing cuda instead of whatever ATI has, would be cheaper thats for sure.
March 2, 2011 1:45:24 PM

Well CUDA has been pushed more heavily by Nvidia than AMD pushed ATI's Stream. Also, CUDA is easier to program with and has much better documentation than AMD Stream. AMD has been behind the curve with GPU Computing. Nvidia beat them to the start by releasing CUDA and AMD actually had to scrap their first GPU Computing technology (Close To Metal) and start over again with Stream, putting them further behind.
!