Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My wireless network connection is disabled when I plug in a new adaptor in Win 7

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 6, 2010 12:21:34 AM

Hello,

I changed my wireless network adaptor a few days ago from a RaLink to a Netgear. I then found the wireless adaptor had been disabled and would not re enable. Tried old RaLink, no joy. Tried all the possible solutions i.e drivers, settings in network centre etc etc. LAN connection works fine. Gave up and reinstalled Windows (7) perfect, old RaLink works fine. Bought a new RaLink adaptor as spare. Plugged it in, network adaptors disabled again and cannot enable. Hava spsre m/c with Win 7 on it and the new RaLink works perfectly. Am not sure of the model numbers of the adaptors but I don't think it is related to that. Any ideas anyone please cos it looks like another clean install.
Anonymous
October 6, 2010 12:15:14 PM

Is this PCI adapter ? Did you uninstall the software/drivers for previous adapter.
m
l
October 6, 2010 8:25:10 PM

Quote:
Is this PCI adapter ? Did you uninstall the software/drivers for previous adapter.

Hi, No, it is a USB adaptor and no I did not uninstall the previous adaptor. Have changed adaptors many times in the past and usually by hot swapping but have never had this problem. It is most weird as the wireless adaptor icon is showing in the Network and sharing centre albeit greyed out and showing as disabled. If you try to activate, you get the "activating" message then back to disabled. I have tried all the normal methods including anything and everything in Windows services that might have even remotely had any effect but no, nothing changes. Have looked around the net and there loads of people with the same problem but no-one seems to have the solution. It is not desperate as I can connect via the LAN but it does begin to look like a fresh install however it would be good to know the answer as I don't like mysteries. Have checked all settings in my router and the problem is definitely not with that. I am pretty sure it is an IPv4 registry entry corruption but I don't know what the correct setting should be. None of the so-called registry repair progs work. It was strange as when the problem first arose with the Netgear adaptor, I tried it in my laptop and I had exactly the same problem i.e the built in adaptor was disabled exactly as above. Had to do a fresh install with that as well. Weird 'eh'

m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
October 7, 2010 9:36:33 AM

The reason I asked whether it was PCI was not to do with Registry but to do with resource issues.

But now you mention it I have had mystery problems with a Netgear PCI device and bits left in the Registry from a previous install. It wouldn't surprise me if the same can happen with USB.

Only option is to reinstall the problem device and uninstall it properly. Regedit and pick through any debris, removing it before the new install.
m
l
October 7, 2010 11:02:26 PM

Quote:
The reason I asked whether it was PCI was not to do with Registry but to do with resource issues.

But now you mention it I have had mystery problems with a Netgear PCI device and bits left in the Registry from a previous install. It wouldn't surprise me if the same can happen with USB.

Only option is to reinstall the problem device and uninstall it properly. Regedit and pick through any debris, removing it before the new install.

Hi. Tried that, no joy. Looks like another fresh install tomorrow. Interesting that no-one else has come up with a possible solution. Trust me, I always get the best ones. Thanks for trying anyway.

Regards

lionel186
m
l
October 9, 2010 11:57:25 AM

Quote:

Hi again. Problem resolved. the culprit was definitely the Netgear adaptor or the software which I had downloaded from the Netgear site. Did a fresh install of Windows and without installing anything else I installed the Netgear software then plugged in the adaptor. Bingo, wireless adaptors disabled and could not enable. Re-installed windows again, installed RaLink software, plugged in adaptor, no problems and none since. The moral of the story; avoid Netgear.

Thanks for trying to help

m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
October 9, 2010 12:55:25 PM

I just installed a Netgear WG111 v2 USB to Win7 without any problem -- except that I find USB rotten at reception and I would rather have installed a PCI (wg3111 v1).

There appears to be no Win7 driver for that either in Windows or at Netgear. Perhaps not surprising as it's a pretty old model.
October 19, 2010 8:10:20 AM

Best answer selected by lionel186.
m
l
!