Random Slowdowns on HD5850

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
My 5850 is great, runs Crysis at max settings, Metro 2033 alright, pretty much every newer game with ease. The problem I'm having is with slightly older games. FEAR and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic for instance. The games runs fine, over 100fps usually. Then suddenly, the fps bombs to around 20 and stays there until I restart the game. I suspected PowerPlay at first, and disabled it using MSI Afterburner and the issue is still there.

I tried turning on Vsync, and its works, sorta, framerates usually stay around 40-50, sometimes dropping. So what the heck? Should I revert drivers? Just wondering if anyone has had or heard of a similar situations. Thanks.

CG_Gamer

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
i know exactly what you are talking about, i was having the same problems with my 5850, im not sure what exactly cause it but make sure you dont have vsync enabled in more than one place, i.e. catalyst and in game, for some reason the computer doesnt seem to respond well to performance commands from multiple sources, also what drivers are you using? i just upped to the 10.11(10.12 is just a visual update for catalyst) and i havent had as much of an issue

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Unfortunately no go. Vsync is off in CCC and on in FEAR, still get the slowdown. Still get the slowdown with it off in both. Doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm downloading the new CCC to see if there's anything I can change there that might make a difference. I might try reverting to older drivers, dunno. Turning on Vsync in Dark Messiah seemed to fix the issue, not so for FEAR.

Thankfully these are the only two games so far I experience this issue with.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Good news, my own dumb fault for not checking support forums first (sorry). Turns out this is a pretty common problem among Logitech hardware owners. Supposedly there's a bug in FEAR that causes Logitech peripheral polling rates to freak out making the game slow wayyyy down.

The thread for the fix is here, it's really easy, hope this helps some of you guys!
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279444

Thanks again.

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Kick. Ass.

Thank you! :D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Bouncies for you! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: