Sign in with
Your question

Single Nvidia GTX 285 crash

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2010 2:01:45 AM

GTX 285
Core i7 920
Windows 7 64 bit

During some graphic intensive games (Just Cause 2, Call of Duty: World at War, even the older game Call of Duty 2), the video card will crash, and the monitor will go blank with a no signal message. During others, however, it plays flawlessly (Counter-Strike: Source, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Bioshock 2). When the crash happens, there is nothing I can do, as there is no video on the screen, and it can't be resurrected. I usually just turn the computer off, and when it reboots, everything works okay again. During those certain games, it crashes every time. The timing may be different, but sometimes it will crash in the same spot repeatedly. I can't figure it out. It's been quite a while since I've worked on computers, and my experience is (somewhat) limited. If it is not a video card problem, please set me straight. Thank you for your time.
Aaron

Edit: This problem was not always present. It is something that has come about fairly recently, in the past two or three months. I did try updating the drivers, and there was no change.
a b Î Nvidia
December 21, 2010 8:32:34 AM

What's your PSU?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 21, 2010 2:25:42 PM

When was the last time you cleaned it out with compressed air? It could just be overheating. Also what kind of PSU do you have?
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2010 2:32:42 PM

i had same problem with my gtx 280 after 2 years of flawless service. crashes during specific moments of the game.. etc

with some monitoring tools [gpu-z] i figured out that gpu consumes almost twice current VDDC current as it used to before

it wasnt happening every time. basicaly games were crashing but only if my computer was started 'cold'

if i started computer, let it wait on idle, turn it off for 15 secs then everything was ok

later it got worse - gpu was crashing even on idle, i had to restart more than one to get proper, low VDDC current...

i found solution for that probem which can be shocking at first...
at some point i just made up my mind and said - to hell with that , if it wont work ill just buy gtx 580 ;) 

here it is:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphic...

try to search google for 'gpu baking' - it works

now seems that i will keep my gtx280 till next gen gpus - i guess till 28nm ;) 
m
l
December 21, 2010 3:28:06 PM

Sorry for the late reply gentlemen.

I have a NZXT PP-800 800 watt psu.
I opened up the case, and saw a lot of dust, so I'm definitely going to blow it out today. Perhaps I will also buy another fan for it as well.,
I will look at the article and consider the option if nothing else works. I was thinking of buying a new card anyway because of this, so it wouldn't hurt.

Thank you all very much for your time and consideration. I will give you an update soon.
Thanks again!

Aaron
m
l
December 23, 2010 5:56:35 AM

Just to let you guys know; the problem is fixed! I suppose it was just overheating. After I cleaned out the dust, which was in abundance, and installing the new fan, the problem has ceased! Thanks a lot for your suggestions guys! I really appreciate it. Happy Holidays.
Aaron
m
l
!