Solved

Will this power supply be enough?

Hi there,
I'm new here.. I saw how there were so many people here that were more than willing to help others solve problems and I had a problem of my own so decided to register.

So first of all here's the components that I'm gonna buy for my new PC.

Processor: i5 2500k
GPU: Xfx 6950 1 gb
Mobo: MSI P67A-C43 (B3)
RAM: Corsair 4GB 1333 DDR3 Value Ram
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200.12 32mb cache
Drive: Any 24x DVD-RW
Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
PSU: Antec EA500 (not EA500d)

Now, the two questions that I have are..

1. Will the Antec EA500 (not EA500d) PSU run the setup without any problems? And yes, I am going to overclock the i5 2500k (to 4.0 ghz maybe).

2. Will all of the listed components fit inside the Thermaltake V3 Black Edition chassis? Again, I'm on a tight budget and this is the cheapest, good case that I could find.. But I'm really worried that the GPU would not fit inside it.

Thanks alot, hope I get a good amount of replies.. Need to get this answered quick cos I'm gonna buy the PC tomorrow.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will power supply enough
  1. It's very hard to say whether it will or won't work or even if the system will be stable under load.

    However I've seen here that the 2GB version of the 6950 can draw ~250W when under load. ATI's requirements state 500W as a minimum to run this card.

    I'd go with caution and try and pick up a 600W PSU instead just to give yourself that extra headroom.

    My only concern with that case is the GPU not fitting. That being said it looks big enough to fit a 6950.
  2. Hello!
    A good 550w should do just fine.But even though you could go for the antec ea500.It would just be enough.What about gpu at heavy loads?
  3. Thanks for the replies!
    @Rusting: I'm buying the 1gb one though, doesn't it take less power?

    @ghnader: What do you mean with "What about gpu at heavy loads"? I won't be overclocking it if that's what.. And by saying it'd just be enough (the PSU), does that mean i can run it for a year or so without any problems? As i said before, I'm on a tight budget but I could save up and upgrade the PSU in the next few months..
  4. I dont recommend it.Hehe.
    You could go for an antec 550w.Its a more safer bet.
  5. Best answer
    helloo14 said:

    1. Will the Antec EA500 (not EA500d) PSU run the setup without any problems? And yes, I am going to overclock the i5 2500k (to 4.0 ghz maybe).

    2. Will all of the listed components fit inside the Thermaltake V3 Black Edition chassis? Again, I'm on a tight budget and this is the cheapest, good case that I could find.. But I'm really worried that the GPU would not fit inside it.

    500 watts is fine, don't know the condition of the psu but they could handle just about anything that was thrown at them.
    Power use
    http://techgage.com/article/amd_hd_6950_1gb_vs_nvidia_gtx_560_ti_overclocking/10

    The case can hold cards upto 30cm , XFX 6950 is under 26cm
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-V3-Black-Edition-Case-Review/1009/3
  6. So would you recommend buying the case and the antec psu? What do you mean when you say condition of the PSU? And I can't buy from newegg because I don't live in the us..
  7. helloo14 said:
    So would you recommend buying the case and the antec psu? What do you mean when you say condition of the PSU? And I can't buy from newegg because I don't live in the us..

    If you don't already have the psu and are purchasing new, look for something with a bit more power. ( The EA500 was replaced by the "D" model over 2 years ago, I haven't seen them on the market in quite some time )
    The case will fit the card without issue.
    Can't buy from Newegg ? Provide a link to where you can buy from.
  8. This: http://galaxy.pk/powersupply.htm

    But the thing is that the half good PSUs all cost more than 2x the price of the EA500.. So idk..

    Thanks for the replies! :) I'll be back later
  9. helloo14 said:
    This: http://galaxy.pk/powersupply.htm

    But the thing is that the half good PSUs all cost more than 2x the price of the EA500.. So idk..

    Thanks for the replies! :) I'll be back later

    Yeah, I've seen that site before.
    The EA500 is the best deal on it, and plenty of power for your proposed specs.
  10. I can overclock the i5 with it too and it'll stay fine right?
    Once again, thanks for replying. :)
  11. Best answer selected by helloo14.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product