What is the good digital dual monitor solution?

jhnlmn

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Hi,
Questions about Dual monitors appear almost daily on this forum and most answers recommend connecting one monitor to DVI and another to VGA.
But VGA has such a blurry picture, I do not want to use it anymore.
So, I want 2 DVIs. And I want NVIDIA.
So, I selected NVIDIA and 2xDVI on Newegg and found that only half of the cards claim to support 2xDVI.
And almost all of them are those huge dual slot monsters for gamers, which I do not want.
There are only a handful of normal cards.
And only 2 cards actually have two separate DVI connectors.
And both are using old GeForce 9500 GT chip.

So, question 1: do you think that cards with 2 DVI ports are obsolete or will become more popular later? Should I wait?

A couple of other cards from a single vendor (JATON) actually have only one DVI connector, but claim "2 x DVI (via LFH Connector)" and even include "LFH to Dual DVI adapter cable".

Question 2: Is two DVI connector solution any better or worse than one DVI with a LFH connector?
Would there be any difference in picture quality, availability of resolutions, etc?

I see that many newer cards include DVI and HDMI and advertise support for 2 DVI monitors using HDMI-to-DVI adapter.
But, in my opinion, HDMI-to-DVI adapter sticking from a card is not a good solution since HDMI socket does not have screws and the adapter will keep falling out.

So far I failed to find a good digital dual monitor solution for an office.

Question 3: Which way most people choose if they want a digital dual monitor office solution?

Thank you
John

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
why cant you go with a dual slot card?
ive heard that these dual dvi adapter cable things just mirrors the desktop on the monitor instead of having it as a second monitor...
is there any problem with ati? you can go as far as 3 or 6 monitors on one card
by the looks of it... im guessing everyone is going for the diplayport or hdmi instead of the dvi

note... im no pro... just trying to help... think you should hear more from the other guys (or gals.. o_O) who drops by these forums...

jhnlmn

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
> why cant you go with a dual slot card?

They are very large, very hot and power hungry (need to buy a new power supply 450 W or more).

> ive heard that these dual dvi adapter cable things just mirrors the desktop on the monitor instead of having it as a second monitor...

JTON site says "Dualview (multi desktops with different resolution)"
So, this is not a mirror.
However, I did not verify myself.

> is there any problem with ati?

The same problem. Very poor selection of cards.

> everyone is going for the diplayport or hdmi instead of the dvi

But does everyone now have a monitor with hdmi?

> just trying to help

Thank you for your comments.