New system defense

billygoat17

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I recently put together a system and recall seeing a link from someone on how to remove malware/spyware ...

I think there was a program that you put on a USB thumb drive and that you would install / run it while in SAFE mode...

can anyone direct me to this link??

Thanks in advance...

:sol: Will

banthracis

Distinguished
Best way is to just not get stuff in the first place.

1. Always read before you click when given a popup. Also always do custom install and read options instead of express or recommended. Many needed programs such as flash will bundle useless stuff like yahoo toolbar with the install.
2. If a popup sounds too good to be true, it probably is. No free lunch, and no such thing as a free service and free results to some random IQ/etc quiz.
3. If you don't know what an installer is trying to install, don't install it. If threatfire blocks something you don't recognize, then don't click override.
4. Use adaware and noscripts. That'll block 99% of the stuff out there.
5. A good free antivirus + threatfire will stop everything else.
6. Ad aware or another good anti adware program will take care of anything that somehow gets through due to you being an idiots and not following 1.
7. Throw in peerblock as well if you're feeling especially paranoid. Be sure to subscribe to lists.

With the above and common sense, feel free to browse and go anywhere you want and dl e-mail attachments.