Sign in with
Your question

Confused about video cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2010 3:55:20 AM

Have an MSI K8MM-V MoBo with 8x AGP slot. There are so many variables out there like:
Memory size - 64, 128, 256, 512Mb etc....
Memory type - DDR2, DDR3 etc....
Core speed - ex. 400Mhz
Memory speed - ex. 533Mhz

With all these choices and combinations of choices I'm really confused about what will work with this MoBo. Is there any resource out there that makes the choices easier? Maybe some chart or graph that shows what works with what?

Thanks, Tom

More about : confused video cards

a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
December 21, 2010 5:17:33 AM

misteraz said:
Have an MSI K8MM-V MoBo with 8x AGP slot. There are so many variables out there like:
Memory size - 64, 128, 256, 512Mb etc....
Memory type - DDR2, DDR3 etc....
Core speed - ex. 400Mhz
Memory speed - ex. 533Mhz

With all these choices and combinations of choices I'm really confused about what will work with this MoBo. Is there any resource out there that makes the choices easier? Maybe some chart or graph that shows what works with what?

Thanks, Tom

Say you were playing on my monitor (1280x1024) you would not need as much memory is you were playing at 1920x1080. The higher the resolution the more memory needed. DDR = lowest memory, DDR2 = still pretty low, DDR3 = okay, DDR4 = just a little bit better than DDR3, DDR5 = the fastest on the market. Say you have a old card with a core clock of 800Mhz, if you have a new card with a core clock of say 675Mhz, it will win because of the architecture. Memory speed in how fast your memory is. If you have a lower DDR (double data rate) your memory speeds will be lower. My RAM is DDR5 on my video card and runs at 1100Mhz. Now remember I talked about double data rate? Because of double data rate it really has a speed of 2200Mhz, you just multiply by two. Hope I cleared it up for you. ;) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
December 21, 2010 2:17:19 PM

Actually DDR5 uses a x4 multiplier, so 1100MHz DDR5 = 4400 effective speed.

To the OP, if you have no clue about what card to use read the best card for the $$$ articles found on this site. I think they still include an AGP section. If not, post what cards you can find and we can tell you which is the best.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
December 21, 2010 4:35:47 PM

4745454b said:
Actually DDR5 uses a x4 multiplier, so 1100MHz DDR5 = 4400 effective speed.

To the OP, if you have no clue about what card to use read the best card for the $$$ articles found on this site. I think they still include an AGP section. If not, post what cards you can find and we can tell you which is the best.

Oh, yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.
m
l
December 21, 2010 4:54:35 PM

I think what I am really asking is related to compatibility of 8x MoBo and 8x AGP card. I know that DDR5 is faster than DDR2 etc..... but, will any AGP8x card work with a MoBo that has an AGP8x slot? I see some 8x cards have 1 notch in the card and some have 2 notches. What is the significance in the notches? And, the core speed varies from card to card, does this make a difference as far as compatibility?

Still confused :( 
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
December 21, 2010 6:43:05 PM

A card that says its AGP 8x and has a single notch means its an 8x/4x card. If it says its 8x and it has both, then its an 8x/4x/2x. These are rare and I doubt you'll find one new these days. The old 9700pro and maybe the 9800pro are like this. Most new ones are notched for only 8x/4x operation.

I don't mean to be rude, but unless you want to do a lot of learning/reading the best thing you can do is to simply buy whatever card we suggest. The 4650 that hostile linked is fine. I'm sure there is faster out there, but at a cost of $$$ and having the rest of your system bottleneck it.
m
l
December 21, 2010 11:26:38 PM

Nice looking card on New Egg but I don't have a DVI monitor nor do I use S-video. Thanks for recommendation anyway, I'll just do some more studying/reading and figure out the different clock speeds etc... Thanks for the in depth explanations.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
December 22, 2010 12:03:59 AM

It comes with a DVI to VGA adapter.
m
l
!