Error Message Need Help

zephead

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I switched out a 500W PSU for a 600W PSU today to use my old EVGA 8600 GTS. My main computers Mobo died and I'm using my brothers computer until I can get a new one. Anyway about 2 hours ago I changed the PSU and switched out a 7600 GT for the 8600 GTS. Booted up with no problems, except I needed to download the new driver. So I went to the Nvidia website and downloaded 260.99_desktop_winxp_64bit_english_whql.exe driver for the 8600 GTS new driver as of 10/25/10.

Needed to restart to finish the install, so I rebooted then got nothing on the display. Rebooted a second time still nothing. Changed back to the old 7600 GT, display worked fine. Tried to load up WoW got a blue-screen with this error (nv4_disp.dll) Beginning dump of physical memory. Tried another game same error and blue-screen upon loading the game. Then I tried a rollback to two days ago same problem. I have no idea what the problem is. All was fine earlier today when I played WoW. I'm not sure why the 8600 GTS displayed fine on first boot up then once I installed the updated driver I got no display and now my system is acting up. Any idea what could be the problem?

zephead

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010

Already reinstalled the drivers 3 times and rolled back my comp. Turns out this new driver has an issue with older nvidia cards where it causes a nv4_disp.dll Loop error which restarts the PC every time you load any game. I found a longggg work around to fix it. Now I can run my game again but the 8600 GTS seems useless. Only my older 7600 GT will accept the drivers. Apparently a lot of people have had problems with their 8600 GTS not displaying. I'm still pissed I can't get my 8600 GTS to work O well. I'm just gonna break down and buy a newer budget card today. Thanks for all the replies.