Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard for i7 920 2.66

Last response: in Motherboards
January 24, 2012 6:26:13 PM

Hey guys,

I have a Gateway FX i7 2.66 920 Naheam PC with 12 gb DDR 3 and a ATI 4890 HD 1gb ddr5 video card.....

what i was planning to do is buy better motherboad for my PC cuz I think gatewate stock mother boards are trash....

so I was thinking of getting a new motherboard and transfering my exisiting processor, and ram and gettting a ssd drive to be my primary drive and keep my 750 gb drive as my storage drive.....

So my question for you guys ... which drive should I go with? it will be a LGA 1366 board for a intel i7....

suggestions?....
do you think its a good move?... bad move?.....
im looking to over clock my i7 and ram....

More about : motherboard 920

a c 75 V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 6:47:51 PM

Here is a list of the x58 boards that Newegg still has in stock. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Most likely you are looking at $200+ for the board. The Asus Rampage III and EVGA X58 FTW3 would be good boards at a reasonable price that would allow you to overclock your Intel® Core™ i7-920.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 6:50:01 PM

Here's the problem, unless you want to total rebuild, you won't get a tremendous amount of gains replacing the MOBO. Further, you'll run into replacing the case (ATX sizing vs 9/10 mATX space), and probably more items.

If you want everything faster then replace the (2) slowest components: non-SSD and GPU (assuming you game).

Next, which is often the problem, if you want to OC the CPU -- most OEM MOBO's lock-out BCLK, DRAM and Voltage changes. OC'ing the CPU will often exceed the PSU's capacity and you'll need an aftermarket HSF.

Bottom-line keeping the: CPU, RAM, HDD and DVD and replacing everything else makes decisions unclear and expensive.
m
l
Related resources
January 24, 2012 6:55:41 PM

thanks for the responses, so what would be the best thing you would recommend..... sometimes i think my system is under powered.... when i put the ATI 4890 1gb DDR 5 video card... i upgraded the power supply to a 550W .... `is it possible the system is under powered yet sacrifcing performance?....

im running a i7 2.66 with 12 gb of ram ddr3 with Ati 1gb 4890 card..... with one HDD ....one SSD... 1 dvd drive.....
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 7:03:55 PM

For the SSD, try Tom's articles.

For the motherboard, you're kinda in a tough spot since for the price of a good LGA1366 board is awfully close to an i5-2500K and a Z68 mobo. If you are only pushing a 4890 and primarily just do gaming. I'd just leave it be.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 7:09:50 PM

fbram said:
sometimes i think my system is under powered.... when i put the ATI 4890 1gb DDR 5 video card... i upgraded the power supply to a 550W .... `is it possible the system is under powered yet sacrifcing performance?....

im running a i7 2.66 with 12 gb of ram ddr3 with Ati 1gb 4890 card..... with one HDD ....one SSD... 1 dvd drive.....

What do you do that makes you feel your machine is underpowered exactly?

How are you using that SSD and what is it?

Maybe you just need a clean sweep?

(I'd suggest adding another 4890 if you can find one used cheap since that motherboard does do Crossfire, but you'd need a higher rated power supply...)
m
l
January 24, 2012 7:17:03 PM

well, I get fustrated at times.....

My buddy owns a FX machine with a 2.4 intel quad core (non i7) with 6 gb DDR2 and a slower video card.... and he out loads me on loading times playing games online... even my internet connection is faster....

some games like GTA iv run sluggish at times....

just mainly fustration....

if i run another card.... i know it has to be another 4890 but does it have to be the same rand.... example i got a XFX ATI 4980 card... does it have to be another XFX card?
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 7:22:34 PM

An SSD makes all the difference, and I don't build any PC's without one installed. I recommend at least a 128GB SSD {OS, Apps and working Data} then move the Documents, Music, Photos etc to the HDD; see (nice guide) -> http://headstrongfarm.hubpages.com/hub/Windows-7_-_Movi...

As mentioned, if you get a larger GPU and OC then you'll need a larger PSU.
Detailed PSU Calculator - http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
Simple PSU Calculator - http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/

In general I really don't recommend anything smaller than a GTX 560 Ti.
m
l
!