Sign in with
Your question

Non-gaming build

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2011 9:06:19 PM

My gaming consists of Backgammon, FreeCell and occasional Solitaire. Shooting aliens and bad guys bores me to tears, though years ago I spent many happy hours playing Mist.
The most demanding applications I expect to use would involve editing and re-encoding home videos, recording TV, and working with AutoCAD.
For a Core I5-2500(K) system I'm wondering If I'd be better off using the built in graphics on the cpu with a H67 MB (e.g. Asus P8H67-M EVO), or going with the P67 (e.g. Asus P8P67 Pro), overclocking and buying a descrete graphics card (e.g. EVG GTX460 Superclocked 1024MB or maybe something I can heat the whole house with.)
It sounds like the disadvantage of using H67 chipset is lack of ability to overclock with the cpu multiplier. Is this because changing the cpu multiplier screws up the onboard graphics?
My present computer is a Athalon XP2800+ with an ATI All-in-Wonder display adapter card, about 10 years old. I decided it was time for a new build as I can’t play back the 720P video from my camera.

More about : gaming build

February 22, 2011 9:18:00 PM

Integrated graphics will be fine for you, and to be honest you won't even need to overclock the CPU. the 2500k should be plenty of power for CAD and encoding.

so yeah, h67 should be fine.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 23, 2011 12:12:48 AM

A certain amount of graphics will be nice for the Internet as the newer browsers such as IE9 will use the GPU to scale fonts etc and make things nice and smooth.

Having said that, as long as you have a PCIe slot of at least 4x you can drop in an inexpensive graphics card in the future if need be.

Personally, based on what you want I recommend getting ONBOARD DX11 GRAPHICS and no CPU graphics.

Pretty much any DX11 graphics should be plenty for the Internet now and in the future.

Check out the website for IE9 that talks about the GPU's role in newer browsers.
m
l
!