Sign in with
Your question

Best overclocker? ASUS, MSI Gigabyte??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 125 U Graphics card
December 21, 2010 9:25:43 AM

:hello: 
I've been doing some research recently into the GTX570 and it seems people believe that a certain brand is the best brand for overclocking.

I've read a few threads recently where the OP is asking something like "Which GTX570 to go for?" and the replies have been "POV overclocks the best" then you get someone else saying "my ASUS does 900Core" ETC....

My understanding was that the AIB manufactures don't get to test each card and cherry pick the best overclockers, instead they just get aload of cards, put their sticker on the card and some of them test the cards they got and sell the better overclockers as "OMG SSC FTW" Editions...

However I see many people recommend a certain brand based apon how well they overclock, So is one brand better than the other in terms of overclockability? Or is it just luck of the draw? :heink: 

Your thoughts and opinions?
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2010 10:07:53 AM

Instead of trying to find out which is the best overclocker, I'd try to find out which one has the best cooler, since the better the cooler, better is the chance of the overclock being more stable.So the card with the better cooler will generally overclock better.

That said, have you sorted out the problems with the 5850?
a c 125 U Graphics card
December 21, 2010 10:12:28 AM

Tamz_msc said:
Instead of trying to find out which is the best overclocker, I'd try to find out which one has the best cooler, since the better the cooler, better is the chance of the overclock being more stable.So the card with the better cooler will generally overclock better.

That said, have you sorted out the problems with the 5850?

Which ever card I decide to purchase I'll be watercooling so temps wouldn't be a problem, and yes I've sorted out my HD5850 problems :D  :bounce: 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2010 10:17:58 AM

Well, then no need to worry, since what I said applied for stock cards. Its just like overclocking any CPU, you never know how much of an overclock you'll get.
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2010 10:21:36 AM

My determining factor is the warranty. Some brands do in fact use better caps and material on their cards so they run better (although a wee bit). For overclockability, i guess the cooler aspect mentioned by Tamz_msc is genuine thing to look at. It is more of a luck of the draw, i guess!
a c 125 U Graphics card
December 21, 2010 10:36:51 AM

Yeah MSI have some cards with "Military Class Components" whether or not it makes a difference to overclockability I don't know.

I hope I get lucky with my GTX570's, Hoping for 850+ Core on both :) 
!