Amd to intel mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
OEM windows version is tied to Computer, Primarilly the MB. The OEM version can be re-installed on a "NEW" MB if the orginal MB DIES. Just switching to a New "upgraded" MB (as long as the old MB is still good) does Not qualify. GOOD old MS revised their EULA to clarify this.

Can always accidently step on old MB while it is out of the case and then Pitch it, I quess.
D

Deleted member 217926

^ Is mostly correct.

Actually if you are going from one motherboard to a very similar board you can get lucky sometimes. Going from an AMD to a Intel or vise versa you will for sure have to do a clean install.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

thats not true. you cant clone your hard drive then expect it to load on my computer even if you copy it to my hard drive. the windows installation is tied to the motherboard somehow.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Then you don't know what your are talking about. http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/backup-security/#features I spent three days at Acronis back in 2009 and my company uses it and all my customers use. Trust me it works you can take a server or desktop, back up the drive and then restore it using the universal restore. Which removes the drivers forcing windows to reinstall the windows drivers that it would install on the first boot, or you can even put the correct drivers in their for the new mobo. Look it up, and research it before you start talking about something you haven't tried.

D

Deleted member 217926

Of course businesses do this.....they also buy licenses in bulk so that it's legal. If you buy a full retail copy of Windows you would be fine doing this as well as long as you are willing to buy the full version of Acronis for $50 because the trial version will not do it. If you have a preinstalled version of Windows or the OEM version it would technically be illegal to do this because it's tied to the motherboard.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
So what your suggesting is that if I replace the mobo in my dell computer I have to go out and buy a new copy of Windows because it's legally tied to the mobo. Your going to have to provide documentation on that, because according the Eula the COA is tied to the box not the motherboard. Now, this can also be a gray area if I go out and buy a retail copy of windows, the computer dies and I re-install it on a new computer, and the old one defunct. Yes, your supposed to go out and by a new copy of Windows. Now here is the challenge. Go out and find a company that does that with a server or mission critical workstation. Most companies will not replace the OS unless there is a huge significant advantage to buy the newest OS. It just does not happen. So EULA aside if you gotta have the OS and all that's on it and the box its on dies, that is what Acronis was created for. So you can move that OS whatever it is to brand new bare metal hardware, install the drivers and go about your merry way. We can debate what the EULA says until we are old and grey, but what companies around the world are actually doing and what the EULA says are two different things and everyone here on Tom's knows that.

OEM windows version is tied to Computer, Primarilly the MB. The OEM version can be re-installed on a "NEW" MB if the orginal MB DIES. Just switching to a New "upgraded" MB (as long as the old MB is still good) does Not qualify. GOOD old MS revised their EULA to clarify this.

Can always accidently step on old MB while it is out of the case and then Pitch it, I quess.

Solution

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
That is pretty much, what I thought. The EULA is very clear, but very few corps and business follow it. Been there done that. In any case Acronis works well. I don't have any experience with the new one, but the reviews are excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.