Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

5970 vs 6850 cf if both same price?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 21, 2010 11:09:37 AM

So the dust have cleared and i can safely go ahead with my cross fire platform .Just one last question 6850 cf and 5970(used) are available to me at same price what do you guys think i should opt for?

More about : 5970 6850 price

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2010 9:14:23 AM

well in that case the 5970 would win but it would sill be worse in tesselation. remember that you can OC the 6850s too and they OC well.

i still suggest 6850 CF :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2010 9:31:31 AM

I would double check before buying any used components.Still, the HD 6850 CrossFire setup should be faster, because AMD did a good job with CrossFire scaling with the 6xxx series. Moreover, because of the lack of optimization of the HD 5970, it will give very low minimum FPS in certain games, and as said in the above post, a pair of 6850s are better for tessellation.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2010 9:56:05 AM

Used... Bad choice imo, depending on the seller.

I agree with Tamz. The 6850 is the best bet, as above states. But it all depends, what resolution? Even if the 5970 is OC'd to where each of the downclocked 5870s are to its full potential, the 5xxx series had horrid scaling, so... The 6850 is my bet to win in CF, since the can OC to a 6870's level.
m
0
l
December 24, 2010 3:28:58 PM

aznshinobi said:
Sorry double post, as you can see, the 6850 already owned the 6970.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6850_C...

Sorry for not mentioning my monitor resolution.It's 1600*900 and i already own a 5850 but i am gona sell it and get either two 6850 or 5970.And yes the minimum fps is very important for me.If any of you guys can give me link with minimum fps comparison amongst gtx 460 sli/6850cf/5970 that would be great.Any way thanks for the replies.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2010 3:33:19 PM

what CPU do you have? and is it OC'ed if so how much?
m
0
l
December 24, 2010 5:41:23 PM

Derbixrace said:
what CPU do you have? and is it OC'ed if so how much?

core i5 750 3.2 ghz at stock voltage/heatsink
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2010 5:52:29 PM

Nice... The 750 OC'd a bit more shouldn't bottleneck the 5970. The 6850 shouldn't get bottlenecked at all. But... You request for that comparison is kind of hard to find. No one really tests out fully OC'd cards in SLI/CF and compares them.

Well here's a minor OC on the 6850 review.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3678/his_radeon_hd_68...

You can find the rest?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2010 6:00:40 PM

on that small resolution your CPU might bottleneck both the cards in some games. i suggest you to OC your CPU a little more and i STILL support the 2 6850s :D 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 3:01:25 AM

^ Maybe? I mean 1600 is pretty wide, the only thing is the height might be a bit small. How big is the screen? The 6850's in CF shouldn't bottleneck to bad though since an i5 750 does bottleneck on most CF cards, IE CF 5850.
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 4:02:31 AM

abhishekshukla1989 said:
Sorry for not mentioning my monitor resolution.It's 1600*900 and i already own a 5850 but i am gona sell it and get either two 6850 or 5970.And yes the minimum fps is very important for me.If any of you guys can give me link with minimum fps comparison amongst gtx 460 sli/6850cf/5970 that would be great.Any way thanks for the replies.


If you are most concerned about minimum fps, perhaps you'd be best off with a single 6950 or 6970. For the most part, you should be nearly maxing out most everything with your single 5850 at your resolution. What you can't would certainly be helped by a single 6950.

Crossfired cards are more prone to having just as low of minimum FPS as if you only had 1 card. Not always, but on occation.

m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 4:03:43 AM

aznshinobi said:
^ Maybe? I mean 1600 is pretty wide, the only thing is the height might be a bit small. How big is the screen? The 6850's in CF shouldn't bottleneck to bad though since an i5 750 does bottleneck on most CF cards, IE CF 5850.


The only reason an i5 system would bottleneck, is because you have more GPU power than needed for your resolution. Which in his case, would happen at times, if he went with crossfired 6850's.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 5:01:05 AM

Well I know that, but I just really haven't done any bottlenecking research. Because I have a somewhat similar resolution of 1600x1050 and 6850 CF w/ an i5 750 wouldn't bottleneck at this res.
m
0
l
December 26, 2010 4:46:58 AM

bystander said:
If you are most concerned about minimum fps, perhaps you'd be best off with a single 6950 or 6970. For the most part, you should be nearly maxing out most everything with your single 5850 at your resolution. What you can't would certainly be helped by a single 6950.

Crossfired cards are more prone to having just as low of minimum FPS as if you only had 1 card. Not always, but on occation.

There are two problems in having a single card:-
(i)No single card(Except maybe a heavily OCe'd gtx 580) is able to provide a minimum fps of 30 in games like metro 2033 ,NTW(fraps on)and some other games with everything turned on.
(ii)A gtx 580 costs about 630$ here and 6970 would cost about 480$ ,while i can have 6850 cf for just 420$.
These things make me move away from single card configuration for my next purchase.What are you r thoughts after taking these two things into consideration?
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 26, 2010 4:56:40 AM

abhishekshukla1989 said:
There are two problems in having a single card:-
(i)No single card(Except maybe a heavily OCe'd gtx 580) is able to provide a minimum fps of 30 in games like metro 2033 ,NTW(fraps on)and some other games with everything turned on.
(ii)A gtx 580 costs about 630$ here and 6970 would cost about 480$ ,while i can have 6850 cf for just 420$.
These things make me move away from single card configuration for my next purchase.What are you r thoughts after taking these two things into consideration?


Looking at this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6970-rade...

It appears there is no setup that will get you to 30 min fps in metro 2033.

What is suprising is that a single 6970 is doing better than 6850's in CF.

But my main reason for recommending you to go down the 6950/70 was your desire for higher minimum FPS. CF/SLI solutions sometimes suffer with low min FPS. That and crossfire/SLI setups suffer from a lot of other problems from time to time.
m
0
l
December 26, 2010 8:29:44 AM

hd 5970 is the best gpu on the planet,just get overclock black edition,its best!!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2010 9:38:37 AM

What kind of advice is that mrjericho? I say go with something like bystander said since not all games actually do good with a cf or sli setup an, example is wow.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2010 10:15:14 AM

IMO, the HD 5970 is a poorly optimized card.The best dual GPU AMD card has to be the HD 4870x2, even though its hot, noisy and power-hungry.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2010 10:32:56 PM

I think the best dual gpu card is not one but two 6850s haha cheap amd great scaling.
m
0
l
!