Need Advice on Water Cooled Gaming Build

tgznyc

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Hey guys,

I built my own machine 4 years ago with advice from this forum, and it has performed great until recently. My apartment is very dusty and if I don't take my system apart and clean it completely every month or so it really starts to take a beating. I feel like the constant dust build up has taken its toll on this machine so I always told myself when I build another it will be water cooled.

I'm not even sure if water cooled is popular anymore because I have been out of the loop for a while, but it was always something I wanted to do, so since I have the money and time now I would like to try it out.

I don't want to spend an insane amount, but I am looking to build an above average gaming machine that can be overclocked. Can you guys recommend some parts that you think will work well together in a water cooled system? I will need a complete system from the ground up because I am going to give my old machine to a friend to use until it is completely toast.

Thanks for in advance!

^+1. Reading is the most important part of learning how to watercool. I've researched for months now, and if I had the money I'd be about ready to purchase what I need.

Also, dust is still a major issue in LCed computers, since you still have a lot of fans. Once a month sounds about average for a computer cleaning. You could try cases that have dust filters on the fans like most of Antec's cases.

Aside from that, how much are you looking to spend? Depending on the parts, the LC system will cost a pretty penny, though that will be more determined by what route you want to take with the LC system once you've read up enough.

tgznyc

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Thanks for the information guys...

Honestly if I can't eliminate a huge majority of the fans then going LC really isn't worth it for me. I wasn't interested in LC for the better overclocking possibilities, but for the hopes of having no fans blowing dust into the machine.

I guess I should have known better thinking that I could have a machine with no fans at all.

Are there any options out there that I might not be aware of that can greatly limit dust entering my machine. It is a huge nuisance for me.

pancakguy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I started using an air compressor I had at home to blow the dust out of my case about once every other month. It's about 80 psig. everything gets real clean real fast. make sure to hold the fan blades when blowing on the fans or they could overspeed and break/damage the fan motor. I also got an air filter for my room to help with allergies. I have noticed a lot less dust build up on everything in general.