MBR on Seagate Baracuda 7200.12

bossfp

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I started to install this drive as a mirror backup for my server. It did not seem to react as I thought it would, so I replaced it with a second drive which worked just fine. It is not recognized in bios at all, so I have it connected via USB with external wiring to the raw drive. It is recognized in disk management, but I cannot initialize it, or for that matter do anything to it. It reads as a USB drive with literally 0 length. I tried using HDD Regenerator - which does say that the MBR is damaged. When I try to repair it with the program, it goes off and says wait - forever.

Can you suggest anything else I might do.

Try,
Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD and boot from your DVD drive. You may have to change the boot order through system BIOS to boot from your DVD.

Choose your default "Language," "Time" and "Keyboard Input" on the first window and click "Next."

Click on the "Repair Your Computer" option to gain access to the System Recovery window. Now choose "Command Prompt" to run the Bootsect.exe utility. Bootsect is located inside the boot folder so change your directory to boot. Now run "bootsect /nt60 C:\" (without quotes) if you had Windows 7 initially installed in the C partition. Alternatively, you can run "bootsect /nt60 SYS" or "bootsect /nt60 ALL" (without quotes) to repair the system partition or all partitions. Eject the DVD and restart your computer. Your computer should now boot Windows 7 again.

Read more: How to Repair the MBR on Windows 7 | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html#ixzz1eq0gQpWl

bossfp

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
First, the drive is raw and new. Second, the only place it shows up is in Disk Manager as Disk 1 when I connect it via USB external. It does not show up in bios at all. The original problem came up while trying to use it as a mirror drive on Windows Enterprise Server where it failed to install as a mirrored drive. I have used Seagate's tools to try to repair it. It shows up there as USB entry, but it is identified as 0 size. There is no partition to delete as it shows in Disk Manager as uninitialized, and cannot be initialized from Disk Manager - it just shows as Disk 1 - no other information, no partitions - that area is completely blank. I haven't tried the Windows 7 repair yet, but it does not have any operating system on it at this point. I can obviously change my bios to boot from CD or DVD - that isnt an problem. Does anyone else have an other solution. I keep coming back to HDD Regenerator as reporting that it has a bad MBR that looks like it can be repaired, but goes off into oblivion when I try to use it.