Sign in with
Your question

Fans spin up twice then PC boots

Last response: in Motherboards
January 24, 2012 8:43:48 PM

I have a new motherboard (Intel DH55TC) and CPU (Intel i3-550) and it's having some issues starting up. When I turn the power supply on it will automatically try to start for a second then turn off. It waits a few seconds then tries it again with no luck and then on the third try it boots up just fine. After it boots up I can log on to Windows 7 just fine and the computer runs great. If I shut it down, it will not start back up until I flip the power switch on the back off and let the green light go out. After the light goes off and I flip the switch back on it will start the three spin up process.

Some information on my computer:
Motherboard: Intel DH55TC
Processor: Intel i3-550
RAM: 2x2gb Crucial CT2KIT25664BD160B
I don't have a video card, only the on board video.

Things I've tried:
Replaced the RAM
Replaced the power supply
Tried different RAM positions
Tried a different hard drive
Taken the motherboard out and re-installed it
Taken the CPU out and re-installed it

Any thought's on what it could be?

More about : fans spin boots

January 25, 2012 4:20:23 PM

I might also add that my PC beeps once before the Intel screen and then once again right before it starts to load Windows.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 1:07:12 AM

I'd suggest you update your BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2012 4:40:00 PM

I updated my BIOS last night with no change.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 7:56:31 PM

Have you reset the CMOS? It can't be a hardware problem because it wouldn't work at all, and it can't be software because it hasn't booted yet. So it has to relate to the BIOS, but it could have a hardware connection.
m
l
January 26, 2012 9:32:13 PM

Just tried that with no luck.

It did act differently during the first boot after the reset. It started to boot and went about 10 seconds or so into the boot before shutting down. I had to power completely off and let the MoBo discharge then I could power on and it would do the two spin up and boot process.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2012 12:01:35 AM

Hmm. I'm not really sure what it is then. Does the fan start immediately the first time it tries? Can you try a different motherboard, or at least try that one out of the case (breadboard it)?
m
l
January 29, 2012 2:25:05 PM

I have tried it outside of the case with no luck. I used this case with a previous mobo too.

The fans start up immediately when I flip the power switch on the power supply.

I am going to try to swap out the mobo for a new one and see if that will do the trick.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2012 6:34:51 PM

Yes, definitely sounds like the motherboard. I was just thinking that if the fans (specifically the CPU fan) didn't start immediately (possibly because of an obstruction of some kind), it could have decided to restart either because of temps, or because of fan speed. But it sounds like it isn't the case.
m
l
February 1, 2012 10:56:49 PM

Just got the replacement motherboard and all is well.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2012 3:09:08 AM

Great!

Is it the same model, or a different one? If it was the same one, it was obviously a hardware fault, but if it was a different one, it might have been either a hardware fault or a BIOS problem with that model.
m
l
December 13, 2012 2:51:17 AM

PreferLinux said:
Great!

Is it the same model, or a different one? If it was the same one, it was obviously a hardware fault, but if it was a different one, it might have been either a hardware fault or a BIOS problem with that model.

Had the same problem, the solution was to recovery bios update.

Just copy the bios into a pendrive (be sure that it's the only file in there) and let the motherboard recover the bios update.

Do not unplug or power off the pc till the recovery is finished!!! May take 5m.

Link: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS...
m
l
December 13, 2012 3:04:44 AM

carloscfs said:
Had the same problem, the solution was to recovery bios update. It's a solution for motherboards from Intel.

Just copy the bios into a pendrive (be sure that it's the only file in there);
Unplug the cable power;
Remove the bios configuration jumper;
Plug the power cable, boot it and let the motherboard recover the bios update.
After confirmation of the bios update, turn off the computer and remove the pendrive;
Turn on the pc.

Do not unplug or power off the pc till the recovery is finished!!! May take 5m.

Link: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS...

m
l
!