Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade Advice

Last response: in CPUs
May 24, 2011 3:27:46 PM

In a few weeks time I am planning to do an upgrade of my CPU. My current system is on my signature. After reading articles and reviews on higher AMD products, from what I see is that in some cases the Phenom X6 1100T is neck to neck with for example, Phenom II X4 965.

I am thinking to upgrade to Phenom II X6 1100T, since I'll be using a 3D applications such as 3D Max and AutoCAD. From the reviews, I saw there is quite a gain on these applications. But I still don't feel , well, secure with my choice, so I would like to hear some opinion on this matter?

And will it run on my system? My motherboard says it supports the 1100T, but will it support to the max? Not to mention the PSU.

EDIT:
I'm set on getting a 1100T, just need to confirm some stuff about the RAM.

More about : cpu upgrade advice

a c 158 à CPUs
May 24, 2011 3:47:55 PM

Hi.

You PSU is fine, not a problem for upgrade your CPU. But I suggest you save the money and wait for BD or go with SB that gives you much better performance.
May 24, 2011 4:04:38 PM

saint19 said:
Hi.

You PSU is fine, not a problem for upgrade your CPU. But I suggest you save the money and wait for BD or go with SB that gives you much better performance.

Well, SB is out of the question since it will cost me more. AMD does not give any news on BD so not sure if I should wait or not.
Related resources
a c 158 à CPUs
May 24, 2011 4:52:00 PM

You should wait, will comes out with something better that current AMD CPUs.
May 25, 2011 12:05:45 PM

saint19 said:
You should wait, will comes out with something better that current AMD CPUs.

What's the ETA of the new model? I remember reading it that it will come around 2012?

I might even need to but a new motherboard if so...
May 25, 2011 1:14:20 PM

The waiting and the need to buy a new mobo is what makes me think twice to wait for Bulldozer. I just got this new motherboard , with quite a deal. I feel it is a nice one too.

I just read in Wikipedia, it said that although not officially supported, AM3 mobo can use Bulldozer, or is it my error on reading?
a c 94 à CPUs
May 25, 2011 1:26:27 PM

servarus said:
The waiting and the need to buy a new mobo is what makes me think twice to wait for Bulldozer. I just got this new motherboard , with quite a deal. I feel it is a nice one too.

I just read in Wikipedia, it said that although not officially supported, AM3 mobo can use Bulldozer, or is it my error on reading?

Some 800-series AM3 motherboards will support BD-Z through a BIOS update.

For your uses an 1100T at $190-$200 should work quite well. The 'down the road' issue is that the processor will not support the new AVX instruction set (but will move forward to an AM3+ motherboard).
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 1:39:34 PM

servarus said:

From what I've understood some Bulldozer models will be backwards compatible, although with possibly disabled or lessened features when put on older motherboards. I've seen a lot of debate to the extent of this and I don't believe anyone knows for sure yet.

Bulldozer will be good for applications that require large multi-core support, but it remains to be seen if the way AMD is implementing the "modules" will have the desired performance effect. It's akin to Intel's hyperthreading on steroids.

In any case you'll probably have to swap out your motherboard either way to get the full effect of the upgrade. Clock-for-clock Bulldozer is likely to be better than the current generation of AMD chips. Even with disabled features it may be worthwhile as an upgrade for your current board.

If you do decide to look into the Intel option and replace the motherboard, SB does have some very competitive offerings that will outperform your current setup or the hexacore setup for your current applications. It remains to be seen how Bulldozer and SB will compare, but SB is out right now and does have a number of good features particularly if you're going to be doing a lot of video editing in addition to your rendering.

May 25, 2011 1:50:53 PM

Wisecracker said:
Some 800-series AM3 motherboards will support BD-Z through a BIOS update.

For your uses an 1100T at $190-$200 should work quite well. The 'down the road' issue is that the processor will not support the new AVX instruction set (but will move forward to an AM3+ motherboard).

What does the AVX do? Will it give a performance increase?

I haven't seen a 1100T being overclocked to more than 4.0Ghz, have you guys seen one? The review on Toms shows the processor is not OC friendly.
May 25, 2011 1:56:42 PM

tajisi said:
From what I've understood some Bulldozer models will be backwards compatible, although with possibly disabled or lessened features when put on older motherboards. I've seen a lot of debate to the extent of this and I don't believe anyone knows for sure yet.

That's what I understand too, not so sure due to the limit on information. Damn AMD.

tajisi said:

Bulldozer will be good for applications that require large multi-core support, but it remains to be seen if the way AMD is implementing the "modules" will have the desired performance effect. It's akin to Intel's hyperthreading on steroids.

In any case you'll probably have to swap out your motherboard either way to get the full effect of the upgrade. Clock-for-clock Bulldozer is likely to be better than the current generation of AMD chips. Even with disabled features it may be worthwhile as an upgrade for your current board.

The thing that makes me think twice is the time to wait. AMD is keeping quite on this which makes me think twice on should I upgrade or wait. My current processor is doing fine, but just want to upgrade to a better one that can give out more performance. 90% of people that I've asked tell me to wait for Bulldozer... The other 10% ask me to change to SB. I guess I shall wait for a month more and see the progress.

tajisi said:

If you do decide to look into the Intel option and replace the motherboard, SB does have some very competitive offerings that will outperform your current setup or the hexacore setup for your current applications. It remains to be seen how Bulldozer and SB will compare, but SB is out right now and does have a number of good features particularly if you're going to be doing a lot of video editing in addition to your rendering.
Can't change even if I want to. Intel is expensive. New mobo + CPU = empty pocket.
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 2:40:20 PM

Hmm. If you're absolutely stuck with the board then I'd wait. If nothing else, Bulldozer will drive down the cost of the current gen Phenom chips.
a c 94 à CPUs
May 26, 2011 2:25:39 AM

servarus said:
What does the AVX do? Will it give a performance increase?

I haven't seen a 1100T being overclocked to more than 4.0Ghz, have you guys seen one? The review on Toms shows the processor is not OC friendly.

Six cores at 4GHz not good enough for you? :lol: 

The x6 Thubans introduced a new low-capacitance gating -- the end result is AMD got hex-core Thubans to operate in the same power envelop as the quad-core Denebs. Real cores mean bidness in 3dsMax.

At stock clocks, the x6 smacks your quad around pretty good. At stock clocks in 3dsMax an x6 is competitive with the i5-2400/2500k. With a 20-25% overclock you should be okay for a while

What I see holding you back as much as anything are your 'Green' drives and 4GB of RAMs. 2x4GB kits are a great bargain these days, and a Spinpoint HD322GJ 320GB HDD is as fast as most 64GB SSDs.

It will be a while before AVX becomes mainstream. AVX essentially doubles the container size for SIMD 'fancy math' from 128-bit to 256-bit -- allowing more work per processor cycle, primarily in floating point calculations. And yup, Bulldozer FP should do just fine with AVX when the time comes.

I went looking for info on 3ds Max Plugins with AVX, and fired blanks. In the next year or so a few fancy ones might surface -- better save up as I suspect they might be a bit pricey.
May 26, 2011 7:31:36 AM

Quote:

So Here's ur options:
Patience - wait for Bulldozer
empty pocket - OC ur current Phenom
Rich - Westmere Server CPUs
Not that Rich - Buy Sandy Bridge
My advice - OC ur current Phenom, wait for Bulldozer

I tried to OC my Phenom, from 2.8Ghz to 3.2Ghz. Not sure if there's a difference. Feels faster. But I need to buy a better cooler if I were to OC for a long time. Don't like the temps.

Oh while we're at it, does the usage of these test software like OCCT and prime95 can brick my hardware? Based on the OC thread in Toms and other forum, they always aks to run these programs for like 12hours and such. Kinda worried of the effects it might bring.

Wisecracker said:
Six cores at 4GHz not good enough for you? :lol: 

The x6 Thubans introduced a new low-capacitance gating -- the end result is AMD got hex-core Thubans to operate in the same power envelop as the quad-core Denebs. Real cores mean bidness in 3dsMax.

At stock clocks, the x6 smacks your quad around pretty good. At stock clocks in 3dsMax an x6 is competitive with the i5-2400/2500k. With a 20-25% overclock you should be okay for a while

I'm just wondering the capacity of X6.

Yeah, I can see they rock a lot in these applications. That's why I want to upgrade since my new semester is going to start soon. To compare with my current Phenom, I can save a lot of time if I upgrade. On the other hand, am I correct to say, for now Intel offers up to 4 cores right? Other than i7 990x.

Wisecracker said:

What I see holding you back as much as anything are your 'Green' drives and 4GB of RAMs. 2x4GB kits are a great bargain these days, and a Spinpoint HD322GJ 320GB HDD is as fast as most 64GB SSDs.

I want to upgrade to 64-bit, but not sure about the License. Need to ask Microsoft and other software vendor about this. The speed for my HDD is ok, I'm fine with it. Though, does it have effects to render time and such?

Wisecracker said:

It will be a while before AVX becomes mainstream. AVX essentially doubles the container size for SIMD 'fancy math' from 128-bit to 256-bit -- allowing more work per processor cycle, primarily in floating point calculations. And yup, Bulldozer FP should do just fine with AVX when the time comes.

I went looking for info on 3ds Max Plugins with AVX, and fired blanks. In the next year or so a few fancy ones might surface -- better save up as I suspect they might be a bit pricey.

Ah, now I understand. Wiki tech talk is too much for me to handle. Thanks.

For now I think I'll wait for a month or so. See if there's new updates on Bulldozer. In the mean time, I'll save up and buy new cooler so I can OC my current X4.

From the input given, the X6 seems to be a good processor, though the incoming arrival of Bulldozer shadows it, as the Bulldozer seems to be a better choice for the future.
May 26, 2011 3:17:32 PM

Quote:
Intel's max desktop offering is a i7 6 core, but it comes with 12 threads
therefore, processing power is like a 12 core, though with slightly reduced performance of a true 12 core.

Intel's best offering now is the Quad core 4 thread i5-2xxxs and most powerful offering for the new systems is the i7-2600K with 4 core 8 threads.

Prime 95 is a software that pushes ur CPU, it's mainly used for stability test

Ah no wonder they have this 4/8 C/T label at the brochure. So, if Bulldozer were to come out, it will be the first true 8 core right?

For the Prime 95, won't the program, well, damage the hardware?
a c 158 à CPUs
May 26, 2011 3:24:06 PM

I insist, you need use Google.

prim95 test your CPU for stability with overclock settings, that load your CPU at 100% in all cores, something that you maybe don't do it in your life. prime95 DOESN'T kill hardware, just stress it at max.
October 12, 2011 1:13:13 PM

Well since BD has launched, I think I will:
1. Upgrade to 1100T, since I don't have to change the motherboard.
2. Buy a SB system for a render farm.
October 14, 2011 10:54:02 AM

How can I know whether or not the CPU supports the RAM? Like I said above, I'm going to get an X6 1100T, and an 8 GB Kingston Dual Channel Hyper X 1600 CL9. I wonder if it is supported? I know it supports dual channel, but a 1600?

Or should I upgrade with single piece ram, the same one I am using? So that should give me 12GB overall. 4 slots: (4GB, 4GB, 2GB, 2B), is that possible?
!