Sign in with
Your question

What graphics card for video editing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2010 6:22:32 PM

Hi there,
I have a fairly standard PC: Packard Bell . AMD Athlon(tm)64 by 2 Dual core processor 4200 2.21 GHz
3.00 GB memory. 32 bit operating system. Am using Vista Home Premium.

The graphics card needed replacing. I do a bit of home video editing so thought I would go for an above average graphics card. Purchased a Sapphire HD5450 chipset 1GB 64bit DDR3 silent cooler +Low profile+HDMI. Was told that it was overkill but the difference in price for a lower spec model was minimal, so thought I would try it.

Heeeelp! I have tried everything to get this card operational but without success. I cannot get it to work with the drivers specified. I have used the latest drivers from the AMD site. Have followed instructions on loading new card and drivers to the T. After the screen goes blank momentarily, the error message I get is:"Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" I have used driver cleaners, you name it! Even formatted my PC and reloaded everything but without success.

I have now removed the card and am trying to flog it. If there is anything I am doing wrong, please advise or recommend a suitable card to use.

Many thanks.
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 21, 2010 6:38:22 PM

Its not an "above average graphics card", but it is overkill for video editing seeing as all its doing is displaying pixels on the screen so even onboard is fine.

If the drivers won't load/card won't run even after a reformat, I always suspect the card then. Did you buy it used? Does it work in another machine?
December 21, 2010 6:53:48 PM

4745454b said:
Its not an "above average graphics card", but it is overkill for video editing seeing as all its doing is displaying pixels on the screen so even onboard is fine.

If the drivers won't load/card won't run even after a reformat, I always suspect the card then. Did you buy it used? Does it work in another machine?

Thanks for your response. Bought it new but have not tried it in another PC. Will do so as a final resort. Thanks
Related resources
December 23, 2010 4:42:58 PM

I finally managed to test the card in another PC and had no problem installing and using it. Are there any more suggestions as to what I can do?
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 11:42:03 PM

Any overclocking going on? I'd also try resetting the bios. If the card works then its probably a bios setting messing things up. I would suspect power, but its a 5450.

Is your card a PCIe 2.1? Is your motherboard a PCIe 1.0? What PCIe slot was the computer you tested it on? I've heard a rumor that 2.1 works in 2.0, but can have issues in a 1.0 slot. CPUz and some internet searching can help you figure it out.
!