What should I do with this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
First please look at this image

I used to ask about this problem before, but it seems changing connections between my monitor and the graphic card is not a solution.
It happens whenever I go into games (not every time but occasionally,e.g I can play Mafia II for the whole yesterday and the next day this will show up ) and it'll go away when I restart the computer. I can still click on icon, start menu,etc.. It seems the display was "misplaced", the cursor will move over the left edge if I drag it over the right edge and vice versa. Also if I take it with Print Screen, it appears to be normal.

I tried different connections both on my monitor. (first is VGA to DVI, next is HDMI to DVI)
I went through every settings on my monitor .
I also updated display driver to the latest and tried adjust some settings in the Catalyst Control Center.

Here is my PC specs:
processor AMD athlon x4 645
motherboard ASUS M4N68T V2
HIS HD 6870
700W xtreme gear PSU
ASUS MS238H monitor

What could be the problem? Is this some kind of graphic card faulty and do I really need RMA? Or because of drivers so I should reformat and then reinstall everything?
Please help me if you have any idea about what going on or how to fix it. Many thanks in advance.

Go to the AMD website and download and install the latest drivers. If you owned an nVidia card before, uninstall all of those drivers. Go into the BIOS and disable the Integrated graphics too. If none of that works I would open up my computer and try to physically insert the card in again. If that also fails I would RMA.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

It's a new computer I just bought for 1 month so I didn't use any graphic card other than mine. Like I mention, I update it with the latest display driver (10.12) I can found on AMD website. I'll try physically check.

Well, you might have gotten a corrupt driver, so try downloading and installing again. You said you went into CCC. Did you mess with multi-monitor settings? If so, then your GPU might be confused and thinking that that monitor is actually two.

By the way, it looks like you set the settings to in the area were you would mess with eyefinity. When you set up eyefinty, you tell it were each part of your display should be.It sorta looks like you told the right side to go left, and the left side to go right. I would also check that.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

I check CCC after the problem happens, not like I adjust CCC before it. And I'm pretty sure I don't set anything other than scaling, resolution with refresh rate.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

I go through every setting on the monitor, also try the auto adjust setting. And I think the problem wouldn't be my monitor since I try to turn it off and on to see the manufacturer screen, it appears to be normal

Try taking the graphics card out physically,then unistall all drivers you have for the hard.Then reinstall them then put the card in.
If the problem persists you might have a defective card.

EDIT:make sure you remove the card physically before installing the new drivers.If you unistall the drivers and the card is still in, Windows will look for drivers for it and install them automatically.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

I just reformat my computer and install everything new, include the driver for the graphic card (I download it the third time from the AMD website to make sure I don't get crap driver) , and the problem still there.

Some games will save your video settings so they can control the display themselves. I suspect that one of your games is not properly resetting the display when you exit it.
Can you tie the issue to a specific game?

Do some of your games have some fixes that have not been applied?

Here is a procedure to clean install a new driver:

1) Download driversweeper to your desktop, or wherever you can find it easily.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

2) Download your new driver to the same place.
3) In add/remove programs, uninstall any Nvidia or ATI vga drivers and programs.
4) Boot into safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly while booting to enter safe mode. Your display resolution may be minimal.
5) Run driversweeper. Check the selection boxes for the removal of all nvidia vga drivers and ati drivers.
6) Rerun driversweeper. All such components should be gone.
7) Install the new driver from the desktop or saved location.

Is there a beta version of the graphics driver that you can try? ... Or possibly a previous version; Sometimes the latest version introduces a new error.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

Thank you for such a nice instruct but that may not a case
First this kind of problem happens in every game, with any settings (like I mention, not every time but occasionally). But seems like it crash more often on Mafia 2, MoH 2010 rather than mass effect 2, GTA 4 (strange). FYI I used latest patch for every game with latest DirectX.
Second, I've went through different driver (first is v10.10 and now the latest v10.12) which I can download from AMD. I also reformat the computer and apply the driver to make sure I actually sweep all the old driver.
So I think whether it's about game settings or display driver, it's not the case

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

Yeah I think it's more likely the case but I just hope it's not. First it happens occasionally so I thought I would solve it by checking and reinstalling everything but now not thing work out and I'm really annoyed because of that. I just hate RMA because I have to went through many procedures and yet I wouldn't know if it actually solve this problem.

@GPU Does it do it when your just looking at the desktop when you don't have any applications open?

@Monitor:Is their anyway you can try to hook it up to a TV or Another monitor?might be the monitor itself

It is most likely a defective card,but give those suggestions a try anyway.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

I'm sure it's not about my monitor. When this happens, I try to turn the monitor off and on to look for manufacturer screen, it appears to be normal. And If I use Print Screen, it doesn't show up this kind of display, in another word, it shows a normal display.
I'm not sure what you try to mention about @GPU but this problem happens when I open a game. When I watch movie, listen to music, surf web as I'm doing now, it doesn't happen.

It really smells of a video driver issue. The 6890 is a very new card, and perhaps some games are not playing well with it. You might open a support issue with the card manufacturer HIS. They have a bit more clout with ATI to get a driver issue fixed.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

Thank you for helping me out
But first of all, it's 6870 and I also look for any one who got the same problem as I have through many sites, at least almost a month. I look into a display driver's supported information (the latest one I can find on AMD which version is 10.12) to see if there are any issue like mine, even it does, latest display driver should fix it in my opinion.
Second, it happens in every game (from mass effect back to 2007 to latest game like black ops). So I think that is not that case.

OOPS! typo, I meant 6870.

What is different about games?
Well, I think it is the use of 3d rendering which you would not use in normal desktop. That will put more pressure on the power supply, but I would expect tearing and other similar effects if the psu were inadequate.

If some part of the 3d hardware were defective, you might get your symptoms. A rma would then be in order.

I still think you should contact HIS support. They have more expertise and resources than the forum members.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

I have a 700 xtreme gear PSU, it's not a great brand but I think it should do the job. I got this computer from Cyberpower and I just contact with tech support. I hate RMA since I wouldn't know if getting new graphic card solve my problem, and yet it'll be lots of times and procedures.

Fair warning,not that this has anything to do with your current display issue but cyberpower makes PC's with cheap componets.Do you have an Asetek H50 cooling system?Mine came with one and my PC was overheating beacuse of it,and the PSU they gave with the system isn't that great so i'm buying a new one just to be safe.

But none of that is relevant to your display issue and i know that isn't the problem for it.

Back to your display issue i would say just go ahead and start shipping back, i've heard of a few 6870's being defective,just like all items that are made is mass quantitys their will be a few that aren't made correctly.Sorry it was you in this case

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

thank you Purple stank, I'm well aware that I could get issue when dealing with Cyberpower, but I did hope my PC wouldn't get defected though. I don't think the overheating is the problem since I check temperature constantly (with windows gadget). I have Asetek 510LC water cooling. I know my PSU (which is 700W xtreme gear is not recommended but I'm not a heavy gamer or graphic user so I think this PSU would okay with me (save me few hundred bucks). Geez they took almost a month to build this PC and now I have this mess.

Cyberpower is not reliable for future reference,as i found out myself.Everything should be fine with your computer as long as you don't do any O.C.ing in the future.Asetek is not so good of a company either fyi.

Just send the card back and get a new one and everything should be fine.Your computer is stable it's just not made of the best parts so don't be alarmed if everything goes to crap in 6months to a year.If i was you i would send it back and get a full refund not just the card and buy from a different company if you can, but thats just my opinion on cyberpower.

timnguyen2402

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

Yeah I'm thinking about sending the whole rig back either for RMA or refund. I'm still confused about RMA procedure though, amyway I've contacted CP about that already. This rig would be okay for me at least the next 3 years. I bought it mainly like home office, since Cyberpower had great deal during last Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.