Laptop Video card Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorbroker

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I am thinking about upgrading my video/graphics card in my laptop...I have an ATI radeon mobility HD 2600 and it isn't great...it can hardly run any games at their lowest setting. What would be a good step up from there.

Not sure if its necessary but im running windows 7 x64 (also playing with Ubuntu 10.04)

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz

4GB of RAM

Lenovo Y710 Laptop

Ask if anything is necessary...

Im a college student so im not looking to spend a huge amount...so definitely under $300

Normally, I need to crush people's dreams about upgrading their laptop's video card because for the majority of them it simply cannot be done. Generally speaking video card upgrades are limited to more expensive laptops; like $1,700+.

However, in your case you can. The Y710 takes a MXM II (consider it a "slot type") video card. Here's a Mobility Radeon HD 3650 for $120:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD3650-MXM-II-VGA-Card-512MB-/200555172499?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item2eb2051293

Word of warning, you will probably need to update the BIOS in order to use it. Lenovo's site should have it. Additionally, you also need to verify that the BIOS update will recognize the card. If you install a video card that the BIOS does not recognize, then your screen may simply be blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS