Anything after 2600k?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel
  • Socket
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
May 24, 2011 9:11:58 PM

hi all, anyone know if intel will be releasing another socket 1155 processer that's an upgrade from the 2600K?

More about : 2600k

a b à CPUs
May 24, 2011 9:17:13 PM

I'm sure they will release a higher clocked i7. But you could just overclock your 2600K to way past that anyways.

Sandy Bridge-E will be out soon, and by the end of the year a new socket for Ivy Bridge.

It'll be higher end enthusiest class though and we'll likely be back to seeing $1000 cpu's like we did on 1366.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 12:11:38 AM

There will be at least one version of Ivy Bridge that will be in the LGA 1155 package and usable with a simple BIOS update.

LGA 1356 and LGA 2011 are being made ready to take over starting later this year.
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2011 12:12:46 AM

you mean a higher clocked i7 for the socket 1155? i'm going to get a Z68 board and i don't want to buy the 2600k and then they release a better cpu a little while after.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 12:18:54 AM

I have seen on some home-made CPU road maps that there supposedly will be an "i7-2700" or whatever they are going to call a higher-clocked Sandy Bridge CPU. However, I haven't seen any official Intel road maps that show this.

In any case, a simple clock speed bump wouldn't be worth the extra expense. Just pull the trigger on the 2600K if you're using professional programs that support Hyper-Threading, or get the 2500K if the primary use is gaming. Either one will stand you in good stead for four to five years, especially if overclocked.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 12:21:30 AM

You can easily overclock the 2600k to anything up to 4.5ghz most of the time. You would just need an aftermarket cooler for 4.5ghz, but 4ghz would be doable on the stock cooler with a slightly lower voltage than stock if the processor can run with that voltage.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 2:27:32 AM

It is highly unlikely that a better CPU will be released for the 1155 platform before March of '12
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
May 25, 2011 3:25:30 AM

bearclaw99 said:
It is highly unlikely that a better CPU will be released for the 1155 platform before March of '12

Thats dependant. Better could be a new stepping, like the Q6600 G0. The G0 ran cooler, overclocked better and used less power than the original Q6600 B3.

Its hard to say though. Normally it takes about 6 months before Intel will have a new stepping out and I haven't heard of anything above the 2600K. IB will but thats still 9 months away.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 3:51:25 PM

bearclaw99 said:

Your kidding right? lol

I bet there's one released before July 11'.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 3:52:45 PM

velocci said:
you mean a higher clocked i7 for the socket 1155? i'm going to get a Z68 board and i don't want to buy the 2600k and then they release a better cpu a little while after.

Did you even read my reply. Of course there is always going to be something faster released after you buy, that's the way it works.

But it will be a 100-200 mhz faster. And like I said the first time, you can just overclock your 2600K WAAAAAAAAAAY past that, so it doesn't matter if a faster model is released. lol
m
l
May 25, 2011 5:07:38 PM

ya i read it. now i don't know what to do. should i buy the z68 or wait and buy ivy bridge?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 5:09:05 PM

Your kidding right? lol

What I mean is something other than the same model that is simply just clocked up a multiplier or two, since obviously that would be meaningless with an overclockable K chip
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 5:14:10 PM

bearclaw99 said:
Your kidding right? lol

What I mean is something other than the same model that is simply just clocked up a multiplier or two, since obviously that would be meaningless with an overclockable K chip

Gotcha.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 5:15:31 PM

velocci said:
ya i read it. now i don't know what to do. should i buy the z68 or wait and buy ivy bridge?

If you have the money and want the upgrade, go for it. 8 months is a long time to wait for a new processor to come out, especially if it's only 20-30% better.

Of course you could save money and get the 2500k depending on what you do with the comp, then once Ivy comes out, sell your 2500k and get Ivy which should hopefully have a model at $200. Same money spent on a 2600k if you can at least sell the 2500k for $100.
m
l
May 25, 2011 5:33:21 PM

what's ivy bridge going to have that sandy bridge and z68 doesn't?
m
l
May 25, 2011 5:40:02 PM

there is bulldozer now? what does bulldozer and ivy bringe have that sandy bridge/z68 doesn't have?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 6:12:22 PM

We will know when the chips are released.
m
l
May 25, 2011 6:21:21 PM

is ivy bridge a cpu or motherboard chipset?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 6:38:25 PM

CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 3:03:41 PM

All the questions you've asked can be answered by using GOOGLE.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 3:43:58 PM

It's starting to look like the Bulldozer delayed to August or later rumors might be true. We should find out in the next couple of weeks.

Anyway, I agree with JimmySmitty - there should be some new Sandy Bridge steppings out before too long, as it is nearly 6 months now since the release. My guess at this point would be around the same time as Bulldozer gets released, so maybe waiting a month or so to see any news on both, might be the smartest thing to do.

Myself, I'm just going to get a 2600K + Z68 combo in a couple of weeks, since I'm tired of waiting..
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 5:01:00 PM

I wouldn't doubt if AMD drops Bulldozer all together and completely leaves the desktop market.

They are putting all their R&D into other markets, hence the delays. Which probably is a smart idea since the desktop is a dying breed anyways.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 5:10:24 PM

Never heard that one before... also servers and supercomputers are dying...
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 5:11:54 PM

Though I tell you what I'd really want. An unlocked 2 core hyper threaded CPU! There we'd have a perfect low cost system rocker.
m
l
May 26, 2011 5:22:28 PM

Velocci,

Just buy the i5 2500k socket 1155 and an aftermarket cooler. Ivy bridge will not be out until early next year, it will be socket 2011, but it will not be as affordable at launch.

Of course they're going to create better processors all the time. That's like buying a car and hoping they never create a better car in the future.

You'll need to get a new motherboard for your next upgrade to socket 2011, but there is no way to "plan" for this unless you are happy with your existing computer and enjoy waiting maybe a year before you upgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 5:38:25 PM

geekapproved said:
I wouldn't doubt if AMD drops Bulldozer all together and completely leaves the desktop market.

They are putting all their R&D into other markets, hence the delays. Which probably is a smart idea since the desktop is a dying breed anyways.

I think BSN or maybe Semiaccurate has some article about Carly Fiorina (ex CEO of HP) interviewing for the CEO job. If that happens then your guess may be a good one :p ..
m
l
May 26, 2011 5:56:55 PM

velocci said:
anyone know if intel will be releasing another socket 1155 processer that's an upgrade from the 2600K?

How is that waiting for or asking about bulldozer (AMD, not Intel)?
m
l
May 26, 2011 8:08:43 PM

i dont' think i'm interested in AMD. i'm wondering about ivy bridge or anything else intel puts out. i read that ivy bridge will use 3D gates or something like that. Is this totally revolutionary or is this just another upgrade? every CPU launch or chipset launch, they make it seem like its worlds ahead of the last one, but really its just a bit faster.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2011 8:27:58 PM

"3D" transistors are more evolution than revolution. They will allow the cpu's to scale better as the tech shrinks, but they don't work much differently than the planar "2D" transistors we have today. Just more surface area is touching the gate now.

And "Worlds ahead" is what Intel's marketing team does best, gotta make it look like a revolutionary product to sell more. That's kinda why they're calling the new transistors 3D instead of Finfet, I believe.
m
l
May 26, 2011 9:20:46 PM

ok so it doesn't sound like a big deal. I was going to buy a P67 motherboard and the day i was going to buy it, they announced the recall. so while waiting for them to come back on the market, the Z68 details were released. when I found out it will support SDD caching and virtu, i decided it was worth waiting for. now i'm afraid that if i buy the Z68, the next one will have a feature is worth waiting for. sigh
m
l
May 26, 2011 9:58:08 PM

Velocci,

The time is now! The bugs have all been worked out. If you have a discrete graphics card, Z68 is only better than P67 if you plan to use SSD caching and virtu. If you don't need those features, get a P67 and a nice graphics card.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
May 27, 2011 2:35:07 AM

Supermuncher85 said:
Though I tell you what I'd really want. An unlocked 2 core hyper threaded CPU! There we'd have a perfect low cost system rocker.

Problem is that Intel doesn't do the same thing as AMD when it comes to defective CPUs. If the cores don't pass, it gets thrown away.

Considering who Intel is in process manufacturing, they probably don't get enough defective CPUs to resell them.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 3:23:24 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
also servers and supercomputers are dying...

Eh?? Server is a hugely important market for Intel, IBM, AMD, etc - they make LOTS of money off selling server CPUs.

Intel plans on doubling their server revenue in the next 2-3 years, so obviously they don't think the market is dying.

Also, all those smartphones and tablets require new servers to, well, "serve" them their content :D , something like a new server for every 6.7 smartphone/tablets sold according to one news story I read. All I have to say about that is that those smartphone/tablet users must have unlimited data plans, in order to be sucking up that much bandwidth..
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 3:27:18 PM

Haserath said:
"3D" transistors are more evolution than revolution. They will allow the cpu's to scale better as the tech shrinks, but they don't work much differently than the planar "2D" transistors we have today. Just more surface area is touching the gate now.

And "Worlds ahead" is what Intel's marketing team does best, gotta make it look like a revolutionary product to sell more. That's kinda why they're calling the new transistors 3D instead of Finfet, I believe.

You're probably right - "3D" is the current biggie in television, cable, etc. I bought an Asus RoG lappy with Nvidia 3D glasses recently, so when 22nm comes out I should be able to spot them 3D transistors :p ..
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 6:27:17 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
You're probably right - "3D" is the current biggie in television, cable, etc. I bought an Asus RoG lappy with Nvidia 3D glasses recently, so when 22nm comes out I should be able to spot them 3D transistors :p ..
You're going to have to wear 3D glasses just to see your laptop. :pt1cable:  :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 6:40:47 PM

Haserath said:
You're going to have to wear 3D glasses just to see your laptop. :pt1cable:  :lol: 

ROFL - good one :p .

Still waiting on some 27" monitors other than Acer to support Nvidia 3D, BTW. They really need some standards set before that market takes off, IMO.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2011 1:38:31 AM

fazers_on_stun said:
Eh?? Server is a hugely important market for Intel, IBM, AMD, etc - they make LOTS of money off selling server CPUs.

Intel plans on doubling their server revenue in the next 2-3 years, so obviously they don't think the market is dying.

Also, all those smartphones and tablets require new servers to, well, "serve" them their content :D , something like a new server for every 6.7 smartphone/tablets sold according to one news story I read. All I have to say about that is that those smartphone/tablet users must have unlimited data plans, in order to be sucking up that much bandwidth..

I was being sarcastic :p  People just keep on prophezing the death of pc games, pc's servers etc. all the time.

And by unlocked I meant the multiplier. Right now the thing that keeps me from buying the 2 core Intel cpu is the locked multiplier. The old core2duos were great overclockers and I would LOVE to have another low cost CPU again that is overclockable to 4ghz+

edit: I hope you mean fazer the chocolate hehe
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
May 28, 2011 1:42:39 AM

Supermuncher85 said:
I was being sarcastic :p  People just keep on prophezing the death of pc games, pc's servers etc. all the time.

Pretty much this. I guess Steam raking in almost $1 billion last year means PC gaming is coming to an end. I guess we can't count retail, D2D and others though.
m
l
!