Can an AMD board run a dedicated Physx card?

futari

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Can this mobo run these cards like this?

MB: GA-880GMA-UD2H
Primary GPU: GTX 460 1GB
Ded. PhysX?: 8800GT

If not, is there anything I can do with the 8800GT in this computer if I install a 460?

Its a bit complicated but i think the short answer is No.
I beleive your board has onboard graphics one of the ATI Radeon HD 4200 series i think, i could check but the exact one isnt really an issue. The point is the Nvidia Drivers will disable the PhysX support if it detects ATI graphics hardware and so your stuffed.
If you disable the onboard in the bios its still there so i dont think that will work either unfortunatly.
I have read that a AMD board with no onboard "should" do it but thats of no help to you is it.

So as far as i know, sorry but No.

Wait for some more responses as others may know more .

Mactronix :)

I also would like to see it tried so we can find out one way or the other for sure.
As you say its only meant to be if there is a non Nvidia GPU rendering, however thats just the Nvidia PR official line. I have seen many tech jurno's report that it throws a wobbly if it even detects ATI even IGP.

futari

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Thanks for all your responses.

I have just gotten back home with a GTX 460 1GB and will initially replace the 8800GT for functionality's sake, then try to disable onboard GPU via BIOS and put the 8800GT back in as dedicated PhysX within the next couple of days.

Hope to report back to this thread with good (or at least interesting) news.

Yes please do its going to be very interesting to get first hand experiance once an for all to determine what the actual truth of it is.

futari

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Unfortunately, it seems that my question was pointless! Upon installing the 460, I realized that the board configuration prevents a second card from even being installed next to a dual-slot one. Sorry, I won't be able to shed any light on the issue...

Just search online for a patch for the nvidia drivers and then enable on another Nvidia card. The point is that it wont run on any other line of gpus by any other manufacturer. Also don't listen to the morons here. You can have a dedicated card to run physx such as your 8800gt and leave the GTX460 as the main. The ATI gpu has to be disabled but if active no matter what then you have no choice but to use a patch either wise it will botch the ati drivers on start up. You can still have both load on start up but any ati gpu will get disabled.

Why would it be an issue when disabled? Why would it specifically be an issue with the dedicated Physx card rather than using any Nvidia card in general? If this was a problem it would mean Physx in general doesn't work on the large majority of AMD motherboards no matter what card you use and that would certainly be common knowledge if true.

Well my point was if the physx driver issues suggested were real they should not be limited to a dedicated card but rather extend to all Nvidia cards on an AMD motherboard with an IGP. This would be a large issue that we would all know about if true so there shouldn't be a problem for this guy either(if he could actually fit the cards in his machine.)

Yea right its us that are at fault for refusing to tell someone they can or can not do something because we are not 100% sure about it.
Watch yourself with the language in future please there is no need for name calling this was a nice civilised thread until you decided to chime in :pfff:

That would only happen if the IGP did not properly disable and the driver was loaded up in the os. It only bricks the ATI gpu and if the user has lets say a GTX460 as the main card and a 8800gt as physx then the user will only have an annoying pop up every time the machine booted up but beyond that no there wouldn't be a major issue also there are community patches to solve that problem.

Get over your self and I didn't direct it hatefully at any one. <_<

What is wrong with people these days!!!!????! Say one tiny thing that offends them then next thing I know one gets a call from the boys in blue.

Oh so "Also don't listen to the morons here" isnt directed at people "here" then ok what ever.
Tell you what just post some proof of what you are saying please as the people that were already "here" are well aware of what theoretically should happen. The issue as has been clarified by bystander is that there is no incontravertable proof one way or another.