Solved

I7 Temps

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
May 24, 2011 11:16:46 PM

Hey guys I'm worried about my CPU temps and was wondering what might be wrong. I have i7 920 CPU. My CPU core temps on idle are running high 50's C and low 60's C. On a full load playing about to hours I reached over 90C on core temps =( I'm using Core Temp 0.99.5 to read the temps.

I've been using the stock CPU fan up to this point. But I bought a much larger Corsair one last night when I saw the problem.

Should these temps be happening tho with stock fan? It's running at like 2000rpm. I canned air cleaned it out last night but that didn't help. My case is the Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower. Its got 4 fans. 2 normal sized up front, 1 normal in back, and 1 large on top. All fans are on MED speed setting. It is a little stuffed in front of my case because of all the extra PSU cords. That might be slighty preventing air flow.

These temps are high, but is that normal for having a stock CPU fan? Any suggestions? Should I see significant temp drops with upgrade from stock fan to this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : temps

May 24, 2011 11:38:17 PM

No idea's or opinions?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 12:16:38 AM

You should see big drops, yes. I don't know normal i7-9 temps, though.
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2011 5:49:01 PM

For what it's worth my i7 870 runs at a max of around 78c for each core with the stock cooler. This is with hyperthreading on but turbo boost off and not overclocked manually.

Turbo boost is off for now because after a mobo flash it now kicks in even at full load causing temps to almost reach 100c per core (which is the tjmax). Gonna get a proper cooler installed in the near future but I'll probably manually overclock then instead of letting turbo boost kick in.

Without hyperthreading and with turbo boost the temps reach a max of around 85c btw.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 6:14:51 PM

Knight_91 said:
Hey guys I'm worried about my CPU temps and was wondering what might be wrong. I have i7 920 CPU. My CPU core temps on idle are running high 50's C and low 60's C. On a full load playing about to hours I reached over 90C on core temps =( I'm using Core Temp 0.99.5 to read the temps.

I've been using the stock CPU fan up to this point. But I bought a much larger Corsair one last night when I saw the problem.

Should these temps be happening tho with stock fan? It's running at like 2000rpm. I canned air cleaned it out last night but that didn't help. My case is the Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower. Its got 4 fans. 2 normal sized up front, 1 normal in back, and 1 large on top. All fans are on MED speed setting. It is a little stuffed in front of my case because of all the extra PSU cords. That might be slighty preventing air flow.

These temps are high, but is that normal for having a stock CPU fan? Any suggestions? Should I see significant temp drops with upgrade from stock fan to this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

no.
The games i have played on a i7 950 have load temps at 55c when gaming.It should be as hot as you have mentioned.You havent push the push pins to touch the cpu properly yet.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 7:31:17 PM

The stock fan should keep it under 70C even at full load with stock settings. You should probably get some decent thermal paste, take off the heatsink, clean off the cpu and sink, then reseat with the new paste. I kept the same proc at about 70C even with a slight overclock(3.4ghz) and Vcore at 1.15V(1.2V is stock).

Edit: Oh, and that cooler should be able to allow you to reach 4ghz with decent settings under 70C. I have a C0 920 that can't reach 4ghz, but it's at 3.8ghz in the high 60's.
June 1, 2011 8:52:39 AM

I got the new cpu fan. cleaned everything off and I reach 70 max on a core under full load
m
l
June 13, 2011 8:27:55 PM

Best answer selected by Knight_91.
m
l
!