How to connect wireless router to wireless router

wordbender

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Hi guys, I'd like one router which is connected to my desktop PC via Ethernet cable to pick up my other router signal so that I could use the Internet on the desktop PC. I simply want the router to behave as an wireless adapter for desktop PC. Is that possible and how?

wordbender

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
It is called Zcomax, probably no name. I put it into the Wireless ISP mode first, then set it as a Client in wireless basic settings and performed Site Survey. It picked up couple of networks, but when I tried to connect to the one that I wanted, it said there's an "Encryption Code Mismatch." So I set the security to the same type which had the chosen network and then my router connected successfully and in the Wireless Settings it showed the exact name of the network I just connected to. The Lan Interface Setup was in sever mode and it showed my desktop PC as client. Despite of these settings the Internet didn't go through.

Remember, WISP mode is typically routed, not bridged, so it will setup its own local network (e.g., 192.168.1.x), firewall, etc., behind the wireless bridge. You can imagine it as a “virtual WAN”. That means your PC should either be using DHCP (and have its DHCP lease renewed), or else a static IP from the WISP's local network (not the remote wireless network). Another potential problem is if the remote and local networks are using the SAME subnet (e.g., 192.168.1.x). If that’s the case, one of them needs to be changed (the WISP router is the logical choice in most instances).