Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bottom mounted PSU advantages and 4Gb vs 8Gb of ram

Last response: in Components
May 25, 2011 12:39:43 AM

I've been out of the hardware loop since I built my current machine 2 years ago with a couple of minor updates, but is there any advantage for gaming to have 8Gb of DDR3 memory over the current 4Gb I have?

Also, I've been seeing a lot of bottom mounted PSUs lately and was wondering if there is a thermal advantage to this configuration and if so, what is it? Seems a bit counter intuitive to me, considering it would be venting cool air out of the bottom of the case vs hot up top, but maybe the PSU temp is then cooler? Is it more important to have a cool running PSU than other components that might benefit from not having the cooler air vented out of the case?
May 25, 2011 12:44:23 AM

Yes, for most games 8GB won't benefit you much. The idea is that it's better to not put the PSU where the hottest air is (back top region as heat rises and the air gets heated as it moves back). It can raise case temperatures slightly, but most cases that have bottom mounted PSUs are well-ventilated so it does more help than harm.
m
l
May 25, 2011 1:11:13 AM

mancid rilk said:
I've been out of the hardware loop since I built my current machine 2 years ago with a couple of minor updates, but is there any advantage for gaming to have 8Gb of DDR3 memory over the current 4Gb I have?

Not much benefit at the moment. I have 6GB of memory in my computer and even playing the most demanding games I have yet to go over 50% usage.

mancid rilk said:
Also, I've been seeing a lot of bottom mounted PSUs lately and was wondering if there is a thermal advantage to this configuration and if so, what is it? Seems a bit counter intuitive to me, considering it would be venting cool air out of the bottom of the case vs hot up top, but maybe the PSU temp is then cooler? Is it more important to have a cool running PSU than other components that might benefit from not having the cooler air vented out of the case?

I guess I am old fashioned. I prefer my PSU on the top. :)  Honestly, I haven't seen any benefits either way. It just depends on how the case manufacturers design their cases. Someone told me that the bottom mounted power supplies were better for water cooled systems.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2011 1:21:48 AM

Bottom mounted PSU have the advantage of drawing in cold air from under the case, rather than venting warm case air through them when they're mounted on top. Additionally, bottom mounting is preferable when you are thinking about placing water cooling radiators mounted on the top of your case, Besides it provide a great cable management system for your case.

The only downside I've really seen is that there is typically a longer distance between a bottom mounted PSU and your power connections for the main 24 pin motherboard connector and the 4/8 motherboard CPU power connector (not to mention your drive bays). Some PSUs don't have long enough cables to reach.

you need a 8 GB of RAM when you r using a RAM Hungry Applications, running them simultaneously like most Graphic design applications
m
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
May 25, 2011 1:26:07 AM

I just picked up an Antec 300, my first bottom mounted case. While the PSU is no longer up top to help draw out hot air, my case has a 120mm fan on the back and a 140mm blowhole fan. As mentioned while the PSU fans aren't helping move the air out anymore, the cases move the motherboard up to the corner and the fans do the job directly.
m
l
May 25, 2011 1:36:41 AM

I figured that with a bottom mounted PSU, the case's CoG would drop, making it more stable.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
May 26, 2011 10:54:35 AM

mancid rilk said:

4G vs 8 G Mem
For common application and games... None... Save your money. If you are dealing w/ graphics design, large database, heavy Math Calc application, CAD... then more memory helps a lot.

Bottom Mounted PSU:

It improves cooling on the PSU itself not on the MB/CPU/GPU area. Since at the bottom the air is cool.. the PSU is cooled by lower temperature air. Its input air has lower temp. These results to cooler PSU and less noise since the fan runs slower.

Top mounted PSU air input is already heated by the CPU and GPU... So the air input for top mounted PSU has higher temperature.

That's the conventional theory behind it.

My setups in the last 8 years have been all bottom mounted PSU
June 28, 2011 11:59:12 PM

Best answer selected by mancid rilk.
m
l
!