Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

HTPC Build - Final

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 23, 2011 2:52:43 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently posted my first HTPC build and thanks to rwpritchett & WR2 I got some good advice. I simply wanted to post my final build to get some reassurance before I start buying everything.

I know some of the items may be a bit overkill, I am OK with that. Beside that, I wanted to see anyones thoughts/opinions. I was going to use Windows 7 64-bit as the OS and use Windows Media Center for watching TV.

Case - SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum GD05B

Motherboard - ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3

Processor - AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition

Power Supply - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430

Memory - Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Hard Drive - Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS 1TB
(I was going to add another smaller drive just for the OS, maybe a SSD?)

Remote - Rosewill WMC Remote control/Rcvr RRC-127 for Win 7
(I chose this because I wanted to use the IR receiver with my Harmony 650 and the Rosewill remote I could use for my Xbox)

Tuner Card - Ceton InfiniTV 4

Thanks for reading and responding!

More about : htpc build final

a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2011 3:28:15 PM

Don't go too small on the OS drive. Windows 7 quickly eats 30+GB of your disk and then an additional amount equal to some multiple of your RAM in virtual memory (of course you can adjust this though). If you go SSD, you're going to want as much free space as possible for performance reasons. I wouldn't go any smaller than an 80GB SSD. I upgraded from my 40GB SSD (which was my OS drive) to an 80GB SSD because I was just about out of space after just Windows and driver updates. My WEI score on the 40 was 7.1. On the 80GB it is 7.7. The low power consumption of the SSD is great for a HTPC, though.
Score
0
February 23, 2011 3:50:55 PM

ubercake said:
Don't go too small on the OS drive. Windows 7 quickly eats 30+GB of your disk and then an additional amount equal to some multiple of your RAM in virtual memory (of course you can adjust this though). If you go SSD, you're going to want as much free space as possible for performance reasons. I wouldn't go any smaller than an 80GB SSD. I upgraded from my 40GB SSD (which was my OS drive) to an 80GB SSD because I was just about out of space after just Windows and driver updates. My WEI score on the 40 was 7.1. On the 80GB it is 7.7. The low power consumption of the SSD is great for a HTPC, though.


Hi ubercake,

Thanks for the advise. I was actually thinking about going for a 80 Gig SSD. From looking around I see the SSD's are still a bit pricey (but worth it).

Thanks again!
Score
0
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2011 5:33:38 PM

Hello again :D 

My HTPC has a 64GB SSD and it is using about 50% right now. I disabled hibernation to save some space. I can look up what programs I have installed if you need to gauge the space needed a bit more. 80GB would be plenty for sure.

Is there a reason to get the AV version of the WD green drive? There's a non-AV version that is a little cheaper. I'm not sure what the difference is.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 91 B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2011 7:09:51 PM

Drop that 555, you really don't need it. Waste of extra money. Your better going with a 435 Rana. Which is 72$ off newegg. So you'll save some money, get the extra core. And same performance, except with more ease multi tasking. Just my personal opinion though.

Oh something else, you could change your PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
40$, more power and better efficiency. You probably don't need the extra juice. But just saying since it is 80+ while the Corsair isn't. At least I don't think it is. Still AR the Corsair is cheaper.

Share
February 24, 2011 12:13:36 AM

rwpritchett said:
Hello again :D 

My HTPC has a 64GB SSD and it is using about 50% right now. I disabled hibernation to save some space. I can look up what programs I have installed if you need to gauge the space needed a bit more. 80GB would be plenty for sure.

Is there a reason to get the AV version of the WD green drive? There's a non-AV version that is a little cheaper. I'm not sure what the difference is.



Hey rwpritchett!

Thanks for reading my post again! If I do get a SSD for the OS I would get an 80GB just to know I will have plenty of space. Thanks for the offer to check out what apps you have but I think 80GB will be fine.

I chose the AV version because while I was comparing the WD10EARS (non AV model) and the WD10EVDS (AV model) I saw the below feature listed under the AV model. This was not under the non AV model so that is why I chose one I did.

"WD AV-GP drives are the cool, quiet and reliable choice for always-on 24/7 AV applications. They are designed for media center, media server, surveillance, digital signage and other AV systems requiring perfect audio and video, low heat, low power and long term reliability."

Thanks again, you guys are always helpful and have plently of information!

Score
0
February 24, 2011 12:21:05 AM

aznshinobi said:
Drop that 555, you really don't need it. Waste of extra money. Your better going with a 435 Rana. Which is 72$ off newegg. So you'll save some money, get the extra core. And same performance, except with more ease multi tasking. Just my personal opinion though.

Oh something else, you could change your PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
40$, more power and better efficiency. You probably don't need the extra juice. But just saying since it is 80+ while the Corsair isn't. At least I don't think it is. Still AR the Corsair is cheaper.



Hi aznshinobi,

Thanks for your suggestion! I will definitly look into the 435 Rana. When I buy PC's I alway go Intel and this is the first time I am going AMD and ASUS so I do not know much about the AMD line items. I am learning thanks to you guys and reading about the different products.

I will also look int othe Antec power supply. I am used to seeing and getting alot of Corsair products and not Antec. I have been seeing alot of the 80+ on the power supplies and not really sure what that means (Googleing it as I am writing this). It would be nice to have a bit more power and at the same time be more effcient.

Thanks again for the post!
Score
0
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2011 2:29:11 AM

Glad we could help a bit!
Score
0
March 5, 2011 10:59:59 PM

Best answer selected by Spyke562.
Score
0
February 3, 2012 9:05:46 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!