Sign in with
Your question

Love the case, can't find a heatsink to fit! Any Ideas?

Last response: in Components
May 25, 2011 3:48:51 AM

I was specing out my first ever build and I fell in love with this case.

In Win Dragon Rider ($149.99)

Problem is, every review I've read says that any heatsink over 150mm will not fit with the large side fan.

In Win Dragon Rider Review

I currently have a Coolmaster Hyper 212 Plus spec'ed, but unfortunately...154mm!?!!?

Any recommendations on a solid, reasonably priced fan/heatsink option that is not so tall that I can fit it in this case? I would rather not scrap the case but looks like 150mm may be the norm.

Please help!
a c 89 ) Power supply
May 25, 2011 4:09:50 AM

A50 is becoming a popular option, but I just checked and its 159mm. H50?

I like the side fan, but they screwed themselves (and by themselves I mean you.) by placing it in the center. They have have placed it lower, over the PCI slots. I actually prefer two 200mm or 240mm fans in the same place I mentioned so that the drives can get cooled to. That case has some good points, but because of the price and bad layout I'd pass on it.
m
l
May 25, 2011 7:40:10 AM

A side fan isn't necessarily a good thing. My preference is to have flow coming in at the front and out at the rear, and not having the interaction of a side fan to disrupt it.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2011 7:47:49 AM

A sidefan works wonders for SLI setups if you can have it lined up with the cards correctly, so force more air between the two cards (top one always heats up more). For other cooling, it doesn't work all that well - a clean and clear airpath from the front to the rear/top is my favourite. Natural airflow, I like to think of it as.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
May 25, 2011 7:49:37 AM

I'm loving that case :) 
lose the sidefan if you want the big Hs, or go water and keep the fan
**Edit, the review states you can remove the 220mm and put up to 6x120mm's in the mesh, it'd be noisier but thinner and may give you the clearance you want
Damn, must persuade my gf its an essential purchase..........
Moto
m
l
May 25, 2011 7:58:00 AM

I wonder what would be better for SLI (this is pertinent, as I'm soon going for that myself)...a side-fan, or converting some of the 5.25" bays for a 120mm fan bringing air in that way? Flow-wise, it would work better in my head. I guess it's case dependant.

As for the OP's potential case, I would suggest that CPU cooling is a higher priority than the side-fan. Ditch the side-fan and go for the after-market heat-sink. The pics of the case suggest lots of cooling potential anyway, with a lot of meshed panels for natural ventilation. Or, if you're set on the side-fan, get one of the Corsair H50/H60/H70 coolers and mount the radiator to one of the top panels.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
May 25, 2011 8:03:00 AM

Just finished the review and its looking like a great cooler even without said sidefan,
Mine will be modded though, oh will it be modded :) 
for sli, I reckon having a good front>back airflow is better than a potentially airflow disrupting sidefan anyday
Moto
m
l
May 25, 2011 11:40:41 AM

Sorry, should have been more descriptive...

Specing the following:
MB:  GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H
CPU: i5 2500K
GPU: Radeon HD 6970 2GB
Heatsink (so far):  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2011 12:21:56 PM

Noctua NH-C12P
m
l
May 25, 2011 4:13:35 PM

diellur said:
I wonder what would be better for SLI (this is pertinent, as I'm soon going for that myself)...a side-fan, or converting some of the 5.25" bays for a 120mm fan bringing air in that way? Flow-wise, it would work better in my head. I guess it's case dependant.

As for the OP's potential case, I would suggest that CPU cooling is a higher priority than the side-fan. Ditch the side-fan and go for the after-market heat-sink. The pics of the case suggest lots of cooling potential anyway, with a lot of meshed panels for natural ventilation. Or, if you're set on the side-fan, get one of the Corsair H50/H60/H70 coolers and mount the radiator to one of the top panels.

Go with the Cooler Master Haf X and you have both side and front fans. They also have ducting (if you want to use) to direct the airflow directly to the gpus. It is an awesome setup
m
l
May 25, 2011 6:22:49 PM

guinness74 said:

Problem is, every review I've read says that any heatsink over 150mm will not fit with the large side fan.

I currently have a Coolmaster Hyper 212 Plus spec'ed, but unfortunately...154mm!?!!?

Any recommendations on a solid, reasonably priced fan/heatsink option that is not so tall that I can fit it in this case? I would rather not scrap the case but looks like 150mm may be the norm.

Please help!

Why not go with the Corsair H60. You should not have any problems with size. There is also supposed to be software in the works that will monitor the fluid temps on the H60.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 29, 2011 5:09:17 PM

Get the Noctua I mentioned, it also, it beats the H60, it an air cooler and it cooles everything around your cpu, and the ram, it looks good too.
m
l
May 30, 2011 2:36:17 AM

The reason I like the Corsair H series coolers are that theye allow a flow through the tower. With the air cooled heat sinks you are just blowing the hot air around inside the case and then have to blow it out with another fan. With the H series coolers you blow the CPU heat directly out of the case keeping the case cooler. The H series also does not disrupt the air flow inside the case which allows the gpu fans to work better. Good cases are designed to have a specific air flow to cool optimally but if you disrupt this flow by blowing air around inside the case then the case cooling may not work as designed. The down fall is that the Corsairs are a little bit more expensive but are well worth it as you don't have a massive fan, bars and sink in the middle of the case. Many times these air units also create problems using all ram slots on mobo if you have ram with large heat spreader bars
m
l
May 30, 2011 2:46:56 AM

4745454b said:
A50 is becoming a popular option, but I just checked and its 159mm. H50?

I like the side fan, but they screwed themselves (and by themselves I mean you.) by placing it in the center. They have have placed it lower, over the PCI slots. I actually prefer two 200mm or 240mm fans in the same place I mentioned so that the drives can get cooled to. That case has some good points, but because of the price and bad layout I'd pass on it.

This is the reason I like the Cooler Master Haf X. Granted it is a full size(Large Case) but the cooling setup is awesome and they have about the best side fan and duct setup I have seen
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 9, 2011 10:05:25 AM

Get the Noctua I mentioned, LOL. It's the best option, it also cools your RAM and motherboard better than a cooler made for that purpose.
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2011 2:24:41 PM

Noctua, any one, what are your opinions on the Noctua, can you people read this, if you can read this then reply, because it doesn't seem that any one is noticing my posts till now!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 15, 2011 9:25:11 AM

Quote:
Noctua, any one, what are your opinions on the Noctua, can you people read this, if you can read this then reply, because it doesn't seem that any one is noticing my posts till now!

Man, it seems all 430+ people who've viewed this thread has missed all four of your posts. That, or nobody is interested. Take your pick.
m
l
June 15, 2011 10:29:07 AM

guinness74 said:

Please help!

I haven't read through any answers, but the Titan Skalli is a little 100mm high cooler that has been shown to cool almost as good as the big boys of cooling (like the 212). It's literally only a few degrees celsius behind them. Its an excellent compact cooler.
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2011 3:37:49 PM

Toxxyc said:
Man, it seems all 430+ people who've viewed this thread has missed all four of your posts. That, or nobody is interested. Take your pick.

Well that's odd, because it's the best option, I don't think they know that that cooler exists then, because if they did, they would at least mention it, it cools ram very well and the whole motherboard (if it matters)

But more importantly, it's VERY high quality and VERY solid, and it performs better than most recommendations I've seen.
m
l
!