CPU Heat Sink/Cooler for i7 2600K on an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro

jnrowens

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Building a new system with an i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68-V Pro MB, 4X4 GB of G. Skill Sniper Series RAM, and a Cooler Master RC-692-KKN2 case. The Video Card will be a Radeon 6850 most likely either by Asus or Sapphire.
My question is what cpu air cooler would be the best choice and would fit in that case on that MB and with that RAM? Everything is ordered except the Video Card, PSU and Heat Sink/Fan.
Thank you

jnrowens

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

Thank you for that information, it was very helpful. I was having difficulty finding comparison reviews for the better heatsink/fans. I was also concerned what might fit in that case. Looks like most of these should work though probably pretty tight around the RAM and possibly case fans.

What do you think of the Zalman CNPS9900MAX and the Noctua NH-D14? Especially considering we will most likely overclock the 2600K at some point. It also looks like the Zalman would leave a lot more room for the RAM. I guess the question is are they worth the extra cost?

jnrowens

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

There is definitely a lot of information on that site. I did not realize how many of these coolers there are. Thank you

Here are a couple of reviews on the 9900Max
Frosty puts it just below the c/d12, while Guru3d a little above.
Just installed it on a ASRock Z68 Extreme4/2500k Does not even com close to covering the first ram slot. Only thing, it is a bear to install, no problem if you are a 800 lb gorrillia (LOL).
http://www.guru3d.com/article/zalman-cnps-9900-max-review/7
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2567&page=5

Currently on sale @ Newegg for $70 - $10 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118075

jnrowens

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

I was thinking under $80 and not sure how far to overclock this cpu. They say you can take the 2600K up to about 4.7GHz but doubt I would ever push it that far. I'm leaning toward the Zalman CNPS9900Max for $60 I believe on sale at Egghead. Thanks

Last night I install win 7 64 bit on a SSD (New system I5-2500k). Have the 9900Max-b
Installed.
Currently only have it OCed to 4.2. Was running prime95 and after about a Half hour my hotest core was arround 52 C. Must have minimized it and forgot it and left it running in the background. A while later I happend to look at my temps, CPU system temp was at 57 C - So I'd say that yes the 9900max should be fine up to 4.7. I plan on pushing the OC up just to check that I can go there (Temps and Stability) then back off to 4.0 - Reason I like 4.0 (1) Have DDR3-1600 CL 7 and 4.0 provides a even multiple of Clock to both memory and CPU. (2) the Diff between 4.0 and 4.7 is only 17.5% Not really a big overall performance boost except for a program that requires high CPU computation.

jnrowens

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

Definitely looks like it will eliminate the RAM proximity issue. Also should help with cooling the RAM, G. Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 4X4 GB, and possibly the Video card, ASUS 6850, to some extent. The ASUS was on sale for $139.99 and RAM $159.98 after rebate and discounts. I put my order in today for the Zalman 9900MAX at Newegg. It should fit in that case from all I can determine.

I read something about double stick tape being used to mount this unit. As you just installed one of these, what is that all about?

Thanks

It goes on the back. The little square center punches out. Kind of acts as a cusion and helps hold in place. Back of my mind I had read someone had a problem when they went to remove. It has a peel off on both sides, what I did was not peel off the side that goes to the motherboard and just stuck to the cooler. Doesn't help holding inplace during the install - But I will not have a problem if I need to remove. Not sure that the individual was taking about this HSF, or another one, but when he went to remove he could not get it off. He used a screw driver as a pry bar and ruined his MB>

The only issue is that it takes some force to get all 4 corners pressed down enought to get the screws in. I cheated. The last corner I used a 1/4 in longer screw and inserted it from the back side and used a nut on the MB side. Only recommend this if you can not get enough pressure to get that last screw in. I like the HSF, but they need to come up with a little better install kit.