Belkin N+ Speed Between Local Network

G

Hello,
About a month ago I purchase a Belkin Wireless Router with Modem from Scan.co.uk

This is the link:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Belkin-F5D8635UK4A-300Mbps-Nplus-ADSL2-2plus-Modem-Router-with-Storage-Port

Anyway, the problem is transfering accross the local network between one computer downstairs, to my own desktop upstairs. We are unable to get above 1 mb/s transfer. My signal is 76% and downstairs signal is higher than that as the router is a few meters away.

Is there a reason why we are only getting speeds which would be equivalent to about 8-10 Mbit when I bought a 300Mbps router. Naturally I'm not expecting 300Mbps. That would be insane, but I would expect something a little higher.
I'm trying to stream HD videos but it just doesn't work.

Thanks.

G

76% signal is only fair. Worth trying some of the measured listed:

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

G

Great tips fihart. I will try 2-5 tonight.
I already have the router positioned on top of the cupboards about 1foot away from the ceiling. I don't know if this could be a reason.

My main concern was just that Belkin make bad routers. I bought a brand which I had heard of before, and didn't buy Netgear because I seem to replace them every 10 months. They rarely ever get a years usage out of them before they die.

G

I changed the router to channel 10 and then I couldn't even connect to the router.
It just knocked everyone off.

I had to use a CAT5 cable to connect to the administration panel again. Ever heard of something like that?

G

I don't use wireless n but I have a feeling it may be restricted to channel 6 ?

If I'm wrong, as I stated earlier some channels will work better, some worse. For example, in our system Channel 1 is noticeably weaker than Channel 11 -- it's a Physics thing.

Equally, when you change settings you lose wireless contact and, though, it doesn't necessarily matter, it's confusing -- so always set up using an ethernet cable between computer and router.