AMD 720 to 1090T?

Would it be worth it to upgrade to a hexa core processor over my 2 year old triple core? The reason I'm asking is because I am starting to see weaknesses in my CPU on BC2 where large scale conquest maps like to chug and the rush maps are silky smooth. I've just upgraded the GPU to a 6950 with hopes of it clearing the issue, but it did not. I also want this PC ready for BF3. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
10 answers Last reply
More about 1090t
  1. what are your full specs?
  2. yeah post specs, how much ram u got
  3. 4 gigs of DDR3, don't know why it's not showing up in my sig.
  4. Check temps, drivers and overclock settings (if you have). A game that can use six core doesn't exist yet and get a six core CPU when BD is coming up and SB gives you better performance for a little more price isn't a good idea.
  5. saint19 said:
    Check temps, drivers and overclock settings (if you have). A game that can use six core doesn't exist yet and get a six core CPU when BD is coming up and SB gives you better performance for a little more price isn't a good idea.

I'm not even sure my MB would support the Bulldozer lineup.
  6. punisher 281 said:
    I'm not even sure my MB would support the Bulldozer lineup.

Sure will not, but you want buy a new CPU just to see that in few months a better option will comes out with similar price but better performance.
  7. Quote:
    Have you tried unlocking the 4th core on your 720?:
    Your motherboard supports unlocking:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226366
    Your CPU has a chance of unlocking:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/251526-11-unlock-core-phenom

Just tried it. Wasn't stable enough to even load up windows 7.

Quote:
    Sure will not, but you want buy a new CPU just to see that in few months a better option will comes out with similar price but better performance.

It won't be similarly priced if I have to upgrade my MB along with the new chip.
  8. if you can unlock it and its fully working. then drop the oc to 3.0ghz this should make the cpu stable. if that doesnt work then consider an upgrade to a quad. rather than a hexacore. as they are relatively weak on single core performance. in fact if you run it with turbo mode you will basicaly be back to a tri core as the hexacore disables 3 of the cores to run it.
    but if you get a quad you will get better single core performance and you will be able to oc all 4 cores. something like a 955 will give you good bang for buck.
  9. Quote:
    have you tried a small overvolt? on my last system, my athlon 425, didnt post at first, but with a 0.1 voltage increase it worked fine.

Might try that in a minute

HEXiT said:
    if you can unlock it and its fully working. then drop the oc to 3.0ghz this should make the cpu stable. if that doesnt work then consider an upgrade to a quad. rather than a hexacore. as they are relatively weak on single core performance. in fact if you run it with turbo mode you will basicaly be back to a tri core as the hexacore disables 3 of the cores to run it.
    but if you get a quad you will get better single core performance and you will be able to oc all 4 cores. something like a 955 will give you good bang for buck.

I set it back to stock clocks on my second attempt, but nothing. Still locked up when it said "starting windows". I do like the prices of the 955's and they are easily OC'd to higher versions.
  10. Quote:
    have you tried a small overvolt? on my last system, my athlon 425, didnt post at first, but with a 0.1 voltage increase it worked fine.

Ended up bricking my PC trying that one. Had to pull the MB battery to undo everything. I think it's safe to say that my 720 isn't going to unlock its disabled and mythical 4th core. I might just buy a 955 BE on payday and try my luck selling my 720.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core AMD Processors