Sign in with
Your question

AMD 720 to 1090T?

Last response: in CPUs
May 25, 2011 12:59:09 PM

Would it be worth it to upgrade to a hexa core processor over my 2 year old triple core? The reason I'm asking is because I am starting to see weaknesses in my CPU on BC2 where large scale conquest maps like to chug and the rush maps are silky smooth. I've just upgraded the GPU to a 6950 with hopes of it clearing the issue, but it did not. I also want this PC ready for BF3. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

More about : amd 720 1090t

a b à CPUs
May 25, 2011 1:42:29 PM

what are your full specs?
m
l
May 25, 2011 1:59:50 PM

yeah post specs, how much ram u got
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2011 9:28:55 PM

4 gigs of DDR3, don't know why it's not showing up in my sig.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 25, 2011 9:47:59 PM

Check temps, drivers and overclock settings (if you have). A game that can use six core doesn't exist yet and get a six core CPU when BD is coming up and SB gives you better performance for a little more price isn't a good idea.
m
l
May 26, 2011 12:13:18 AM

saint19 said:
Check temps, drivers and overclock settings (if you have). A game that can use six core doesn't exist yet and get a six core CPU when BD is coming up and SB gives you better performance for a little more price isn't a good idea.

I'm not even sure my MB would support the Bulldozer lineup.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 26, 2011 1:47:45 PM

punisher 281 said:
I'm not even sure my MB would support the Bulldozer lineup.

Sure will not, but you want buy a new CPU just to see that in few months a better option will comes out with similar price but better performance.
m
l
May 26, 2011 7:37:23 PM

Quote:
Have you tried unlocking the 4th core on your 720?:
Your motherboard supports unlocking:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22...
Your CPU has a chance of unlocking:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/251526-11-unlock-co...

Just tried it. Wasn't stable enough to even load up windows 7.

Quote:
Sure will not, but you want buy a new CPU just to see that in few months a better option will comes out with similar price but better performance.

It won't be similarly priced if I have to upgrade my MB along with the new chip.
m
l
a c 112 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 26, 2011 7:47:56 PM

if you can unlock it and its fully working. then drop the oc to 3.0ghz this should make the cpu stable. if that doesnt work then consider an upgrade to a quad. rather than a hexacore. as they are relatively weak on single core performance. in fact if you run it with turbo mode you will basicaly be back to a tri core as the hexacore disables 3 of the cores to run it.
but if you get a quad you will get better single core performance and you will be able to oc all 4 cores. something like a 955 will give you good bang for buck.
m
l
May 26, 2011 9:55:04 PM

Quote:
have you tried a small overvolt? on my last system, my athlon 425, didnt post at first, but with a 0.1 voltage increase it worked fine.

Might try that in a minute

HEXiT said:
if you can unlock it and its fully working. then drop the oc to 3.0ghz this should make the cpu stable. if that doesnt work then consider an upgrade to a quad. rather than a hexacore. as they are relatively weak on single core performance. in fact if you run it with turbo mode you will basicaly be back to a tri core as the hexacore disables 3 of the cores to run it.
but if you get a quad you will get better single core performance and you will be able to oc all 4 cores. something like a 955 will give you good bang for buck.

I set it back to stock clocks on my second attempt, but nothing. Still locked up when it said "starting windows". I do like the prices of the 955's and they are easily OC'd to higher versions.
m
l
May 26, 2011 11:23:31 PM

Quote:
have you tried a small overvolt? on my last system, my athlon 425, didnt post at first, but with a 0.1 voltage increase it worked fine.

Ended up bricking my PC trying that one. Had to pull the MB battery to undo everything. I think it's safe to say that my 720 isn't going to unlock its disabled and mythical 4th core. I might just buy a 955 BE on payday and try my luck selling my 720.
m
l
!